|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop

> Rattle snake

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
rjsd1

NW Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/29/12 08:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Never seen a rattle snake or copper head at our house before but one our dogs was bitten on the face today by a rattler. Vet thinks she will be okay and she is back home with us. The tramadol seems to be letting her rest some now. She has a fever and is on antibiotics. Anyone with experience know what to expect to happen with the wound area?

2011 F350 XLT CC DRW 2wd
08 Crossroads Cruiser 30sk

kmbernstein

Colorful Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/12 08:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Poor baby. Yes, we see it numerous times every year come through our internal medicine and emergency departments (I work at a veterinary specialty center). A lot depends on where the venom was injected, how much, and the concentration of the venom. In almost 8 years, I have only seen 1 dog die...venom was injected into an eye. Since the dogs seem to go in nose first to investigate, they usually get hit in the face...fore legs are the next most common place. The skin at the bite sites may slough a little as time goes on, and may scar, but usually, the area just swells, the dog is lethargic and uncomfortable. If the tramadol is not doing a good job of keeping her comfortable, call your vet; there are other options. We usually have anti venin in our clinic. Although it is expensive, it seems to really reduce the time that the dogs are sick, and reduces the time spent in the ICU. Since your pet was able to go home, I am betting she is going to be fine. Just keep an eye on her, keep her warm and as comfortable as possible. May need soft food, as chewing may be uncomfortable for her. Keep her as hydrated as possible. If she is not taking in fluids, she may need subq fluids for a few days to help her through this. Good luck, and keep in touch with your vet on her progress.

Me, 1 Great hubby (Tim), Cole the Standard Poodle,
Magic the tiny Bengal Cat
2012 Skyline Koala 21CS
2007 Ford Explorer

rjsd1

NW Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/30/12 07:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the replies. Gertie's face is very swollen this morn. and uzing. She did drink some water and eat some boiled chicken so we are hopefull. Going to burn off some woods area around the house saturday (controlled burn)and do a little snake hunting.

nabi

Ont

View Profile

Posted: 03/30/12 05:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would check with the DVM about giving the two drugs...I am always on the cautious side of things though....
I hope Gertie is feeling better...I can't imagine a dog getting bitten by a rattle snake....the thought alone is just terrorizing to me....

BCSnob

Middletown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 03/30/12 06:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Read about our Sam

Mark

Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Gyp (retired), Peg, Bette, BJ, Nell, Tally, Eve, Grant, & Lee
Sam the Maremma Sheepdog (at home guarding our flock)
2001 Chevy Express 2500 Cargo (rolling kennel)
2007 Nash 22M

rjsd1

NW Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/30/12 07:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do you think it's okay to continue benadryl while taking the tramadol? It seems to help give her relief more than the pain med.

dturm

Munster, IN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/30/12 05:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rjsd1 wrote:

Do you think it's okay to continue benadryl while taking the tramadol? It seems to help give her relief more than the pain med.

I use them together frequently with no reactions.

Doug, DVM

Doug & Sandy
Jill (12yr old Golden)
Henry our camping cat
2008 Southwind
2009 Honda CRV

Check out blog.rv.net

rjsd1

NW Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/30/12 05:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dturm wrote:

rjsd1 wrote:

I use them together frequently with no reactions.

Doug, DVM

Thank you so much. Normaly I would just call my regular vet and ask but he is out of town. He is the only vet in his small practice and takes lots of vacations (deservedly so) instead or retiring. We had to use one of those emergency places instead.

Wills250psd

walnutcove NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/30/12 06:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

my saint bernards use to get bitten by copper heads atleast once per year. Man you talk about swelling there jaws are floppy already but add a snake bite and it really swells up. The first time it happend we went straight to the vet. our vet said its common in our area and it would not kill our dogs as large as they were. Two years ago while cutting firewood I got bite by a copper head between the fingers. It felt like someone injected fire into my hand, as it spread I got the worst headache I ever had. I told my DW I needed to go to the hospital and she said "THE DOG DID NOT DIE YOU WILL BE FINE". Well it turns out after 3 days the headache an swelling went away and my hand started working again. What I learned was if bitten by a deadly snake "dont ask my DW for help" I am pretty sure I could hear her in the office looking for the life insurance policy when I told her I was bitten.LOL True story, wills250psd

LadyRVer

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 03/30/12 07:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I lost a beagle to a rattlesnake bite. Trying to find a vet in a small town on a Saturday afternoon was not easy. We did not live in that town and our hometown was 65 miles away. His face swelled up, he got 3 strikes in the face.
He lived from about 3 p.m. to midnight. The vet who did come did everything he could, but could not save him. Devastating in more ways than one.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop

> Rattle snake
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS