|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Maiden voyage and a few things learned

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
gitpicker2009

texas

View Profile

Posted: 04/01/12 08:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, I just used my new AF1150 for the first time, and I learned a few things and have a question.
Things learned: THIS IS MUCH EASIER THAN TOWING AND MANEUVERING MY OLD FIFTH WHEEL!!!
Need to stop at Walmart for a few things? No problem? Need fuel? No problem. No more "oh my God... Am I gonna be able to get in and out of there?" stuff.

Also learned: even after checking everything 3 times (heck- I was only going to be gone for 2 days playing some shows) you still miss stuff.

Note to self: Next time bring sheets and pillowcases
Yes, the cover was on the bed, so yes, I thought I had put the sheets on. Imagine my surprise when I crawled into bed, pulled the cover back, and found myself looking at the mattress cover I had put on 2 weeks ago Let me tell you, that cover is scratchy without sheets.

Learned: Wet bath is no problem, plenty of space, but I think the trailer should be slightly lower in the rear to help drainage.
Wipedown was easy once it drained.

Now the question: When I got to the site where I was parked, it was on a slight slope which put the front of the truck about 6 inches higher than the rear.

I released the Fastguns (very handy) and raised the rear end with the jacks. Took about 30 seconds. I did not use the front jacks, but left the front of the TC resting on the bed. (Yes, I did check to make sure I wasn't "crimping" the TC against the back of the bed wall)

Is this okay to do, or should I have raised the coach with all 4 jacks?
It was only a few inches to level the coach (and most of the leveling was achieved just by allowing the truck to raise up as I took the load off). I felt comfortable doing it, but wasn't sure if this was a bad move.
Any and all advice is appreciated as always,

anthony

SooperDaddy

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 04/01/12 09:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Congratulations and good job on a mostly unevenful first trip!

My posts shouldn't be taken for factual data, and are purely fictional, for entertainment purposes, should not be constituted as related to scientific, technical, engineering, legal, religious, spiritual, or practical advice. After all it's FREE! Amen.

dadwolf2

Henderson,NV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/01/12 09:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gitpicker2009 wrote:

Well, I just used my new AF1150 for the first time, and I learned a few things and have a question.
Things learned: THIS IS MUCH EASIER THAN TOWING AND MANEUVERING MY OLD FIFTH WHEEL!!!
Need to stop at Walmart for a few things? No problem? Need fuel? No problem. No more "oh my God... Am I gonna be able to get in and out of there?" stuff.

That's exactly how I felt after my first trip with our new TC from the 5th wheel. Congratulations on your new camper.

I use the Camco plastic tri-levelers plus a board if I need a lot of adjustment to level the TC.

2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD,4X4,NV5600
2011 Outfitter Apex 8 (Love it)

Atchafalaya_man

Lafayette, Louisiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/01/12 09:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gitpicker2009 wrote:

...should I have raised the coach with all 4 jacks?
It was only a few inches to level the coach...

There's probably no 'always' method to leveling the camper and for a little lift, you probably did o.k. for the situation.

But, letting them all touch the ground is the probably the safest way to approach a leveling situation like that, even if two of them really don't lift anything and just snug things up.

If all 4 have pressure on the ground, you will not notice any movement when moving around in the camper.

2BLAZERS

KEIZER, OREGON

View Profile

Posted: 04/01/12 09:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I personally never unhook the camper fastguns once loaded. For leveling I have 24 of those big lego blocks (3 packages from Camping World) plus 6 chunks of 2*10'' of about 16'' long. So I've never had a problem getting the truck basically level. I then lower all four jacks down until they are touching enough to keep the rig from moving if we are staying more then a night. Another trick I've done for side to side leveling is take air out of one of the air bags (with the in cab controler)

2011 Dodge Ram 3500 4*4 Black dually Laramie 4.10 gears
2011 Arctic Fox 1150 Drybath
2009 Polaris RZR w/fun parts
2011 Polaris Sportsman 550 XP EPS w/stuff
2006 Polaris Sportsman 500 w/stuff
1977 K5 Blazer 1 ton modified
2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid (her car)

sabconsulting

High Wycombe, UK

View Profile

Posted: 04/02/12 01:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm glad to hear you are getting on well with the new camper. I also love the fact I can get into town, park in any store car-park, and drive down narrow dirt roads with it.

I've got a couple of plastic ramps designed for levelling motorhomes. They are pretty good, light, but bulky to store:

Steve.

'07 Ford Ranger XLT Supercab diesel + '91 Shadow Cruiser - Sky Cruiser 1
'92 Suzuki Samurai 4x4 1.6
'09 Fiat Panda 1.2
'10 Citroen DS3 1.6 turbo

billtex

RI

View Profile

Posted: 04/02/12 06:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gitpicker2009 wrote:

Learned: Wet bath is no problem, plenty of space, but I think the trailer should be slightly lower in the rear to help drainage.

Now the question: When I got to the site where I was parked, it was on a slight slope which put the front of the truck about 6 inches higher than the rear.

I released the Fastguns (very handy) and raised the rear end with the jacks.

See any connection here?

We prefer to be a little bit higher in the front anyway...more comfortable sleeping.
I can't tell you the last time I messed with the jacks...that's another advantage of the TC. I can usualy figure out a way to park so we are in a comfortable position...no need to mess around too much.
I do carry these if needed, infinite adjustment up to 4" of height, if I need more than that...I'll move;
A scrap piece of 4 x 4 cut 16 " lg...works great, price was right...easy to carry.

B

2006 Chevy D/A CC
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

ecoast

NW NJ's Highlands

View Profile

Posted: 04/02/12 06:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just use firewood to level; there's always some about...

07 5.9 CTD & 2000 Northstar Laredo TC towing 87 Samurai ORV on dual axle trailer

Sue Bee

NW suburbs of Chicago

View Profile

Posted: 04/02/12 09:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I like having the jacks down for stability, otherwise, I get motion sickness when anyone moves around.

We will park, remove quick guns and store in locked storage, put jacks down, level, then nose up a bit. Takes no more than 3 minutes or so. If the site is quite unlevel, or sloped, will use levelling blocks so truck is fairly level, and so basement doesnt get crimped.

nwjetboat

Eugene, Or

View Profile

Posted: 04/02/12 04:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Congrats on the maiden voyage.
I prefer to keep the camper bottom in full contact with the truck bed for less stress on the frame of the camper. I keep 2x8's cut 16" long to drive the truck onto for leveling. We also prefer a slight "nose up" attitude for sleeping.

2003 Dodge 2500 CTD Air Bags, Rancho9000s, Helwig swaybar, Nitto 285/17E
2005 AF990

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Maiden voyage and a few things learned
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS