RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Will I be able to tow this??????

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Will I be able to tow this??????

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev
Sponsored By:
LarryJM

NoVa

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/12 06:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Atlee wrote:

Would you not agree that having experience towing livestock trailers is better than having no experience towing at all?

Not really that much better but I guess I would have to give any prior towing even a boat might put you slightly ahead, but could work in the opposite direction by giving those folks a false sense of comfortability. All the bumper pull livestock trailers are not solid walled, narrower and not as high as a full profile trailer. Also, just how many livestock trailers travel coast to coast or say 500 mile on the Interstates. While I have seen a few horse trailers on the Interstate, in the last 40+ years I don't think I can count on one hand the number of bumper pulled livestock trailers on the Interstate.

Again OTR drivers drive something that is completely different than our bumper pull TT and most Farm usage is very local since IIRC Farm tow usage is limited in most states to 100mi or less and meant to be local.

Like you have the right, I also stand by my prior post about trying to compare OTR/Farm towing to RV towing.

Larry

2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

anaro

Mebane, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/09/12 09:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ok so I am one who started pulling a TT last year. I have 20 yrs of towing a 2 horse bumper pull under my belt. Towing a TT is harder but requires the same skill set. I used everything I had learned towing that horse trailer to keep my marginal setup on the road. Also learned some new skills. Long story short, towing a trailer of any kind previously is helpful but you still have a learning curve. Had I not had previous experience, not sure o would have been able to keep my old setup on the road. As it was, I lasted 1 season in a marginal setup before deciding my families safety wasn't worth it.

2014 Silverado 3500 Duramax, SRW, Crew Cab, 4WD
2014 Palomino Sabre 34REQS - 5 nights camped
2011 Crossroads Zinger ZT26BL - sold after 3 1/2 yrs and 76 nights camped in it!

LTCLarry

Maggie Valley, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/10/12 02:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

anaro wrote:

thrasher053 wrote:

It seems so many people respond to a question like this with opinions based on knowledge of the facts of towing but no experience that relates to your situation. I see so many responses from people with 3/4 ton and larger trucks telling you you won't like the experience or even be able to tow, my experience is close to your situation.
I have a 2007 1500 Silverado crewcab with a 4.8 L and 3.73 rear end. I specifically sought a trailer at around 4000 pounds dry so I could keep the tow weight below 5000 pounds, well below my 6600 pound tow rating. The trailer I picked was listed as 4205 pound dry weight and 7300 pound GVW, and I was confident we would keep the cargo to under 1000 lbs.
It turns out the listed weight was low by about 500 lbs, so I am towing closer to 5600 pounds, still well below my tow rating.
As for the towing experience, the chassis is up to the tasks but the drive train is lacking. I towed the trailer home with no weight distributing hitch and had no issues, all towing since then is with a Reese dual cam and it tows rock solid. On level ground I can tow 55-60 mph in O/D and get 10 mpg, but almost anywhere I go from Anaheim involves a hill. I often am down to second on hills. With a 5.3 L you should do better, if you keep the trailer weight under 5500 pounds.
The worst experience for me was last month driving home from Las Vegas with a strong head wind. 3 hours in second and 5 mpg.
The point of this long winded answer is yes, you can do it. The truck can handle the weight and the brakes are fine. You just need to keep the weight as low as you can, expect to be one of the slowest vehicles on a hill, and keep an eye or your transmission temperature. The must important thing is to have a good time, that's what RV'ing is all about.

Many of us with 3/4 ton or larger trucks are speaking from the experience of towing w/ a half ton and a marginal set up like the OP is talking about. We ended up going to 3/4 tons after not liking the white knuckle experience.

What Anaro said X2 .....Yep, Mr. Nice guy TT salesman said "no problem towing that Aerolite with your 99 1/2 ton Silverado 1500...and here's the best part "you won't even know it's there" I still hear idiots say that....I have the 2500 HD now and BELIEVE me, I know it's there; fully loaded out for camping I have never topped out more than 5700 lbs on the TT but I know I'm pulling it...the 2500 handles it very nicely ..but I know its there. So simply because some of us have 3/4 doesn't mean we always did.

anaro

Mebane, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/09/12 09:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Oh and by the way, I used to tow my horse trailer on the highway all the time going to horse shows. I also see horse trailers on the highway constantly.

thrasher053

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/09/12 11:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It seems so many people respond to a question like this with opinions based on knowledge of the facts of towing but no experience that relates to your situation. I see so many responses from people with 3/4 ton and larger trucks telling you you won't like the experience or even be able to tow, my experience is close to your situation.
I have a 2007 1500 Silverado crewcab with a 4.8 L and 3.73 rear end. I specifically sought a trailer at around 4000 pounds dry so I could keep the tow weight below 5000 pounds, well below my 6600 pound tow rating. The trailer I picked was listed as 4205 pound dry weight and 7300 pound GVW, and I was confident we would keep the cargo to under 1000 lbs.
It turns out the listed weight was low by about 500 lbs, so I am towing closer to 5600 pounds, still well below my tow rating.
As for the towing experience, the chassis is up to the tasks but the drive train is lacking. I towed the trailer home with no weight distributing hitch and had no issues, all towing since then is with a Reese dual cam and it tows rock solid. On level ground I can tow 55-60 mph in O/D and get 10 mpg, but almost anywhere I go from Anaheim involves a hill. I often am down to second on hills. With a 5.3 L you should do better, if you keep the trailer weight under 5500 pounds.
The worst experience for me was last month driving home from Las Vegas with a strong head wind. 3 hours in second and 5 mpg.
The point of this long winded answer is yes, you can do it. The truck can handle the weight and the brakes are fine. You just need to keep the weight as low as you can, expect to be one of the slowest vehicles on a hill, and keep an eye or your transmission temperature. The must important thing is to have a good time, that's what RV'ing is all about.

* This post was edited 04/09/12 11:20am by thrasher053 *

Bruce and Jennie
2012 Shadow Cruiser S260-BHS
2007 Silverado CC 1500 4.8L 3.73

anaro

Mebane, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/09/12 05:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

thrasher053 wrote:

Many of us with 3/4 ton or larger trucks are speaking from the experience of towing w/ a half ton and a marginal set up like the OP is talking about. We ended up going to 3/4 tons after not liking the white knuckle experience.

1memedog

santa clarita

View Profile

Posted: 04/14/12 03:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Assuming you mean weight distribution....since I am still a novice I am not 100% sure..it is a "Husky" and has two "L" shaped bars that attach to the trailer frame via chains and slides up into the hitch area where the ball is mounted. It also came with a sway bar which is a must. I always install but once I forgot to tighten it down...and after about two minutes on the freeway I knew I forgot. The WD was provided and installed by the rv dealer since I din't have any of that gear, they also installed the prodigy brake controller me. Whether not my equipment is top notch or not everything has seemed to work out fine so far. I don't punish the equipment. When I tow I put in tow haul mode and usually leave it in "D", if I am in hilly areas going up and down I will put in "3" until things flatten out. There have been times on steep grades it has downshifted itself and have been running about 3K rpm's at 45 mph. Those are steep grades and I am keeping pace with all others. They have bigger trucks and bigger trailers so it is kind of proportional. With the experience I have gained so far I probably wouldn't want to have a trailer more than 5300-5400 dry for my truck, I think it would be pushing the engine a little more than I like for me. I live in the Los Angeles area and I use it as an everyday vehicle and we tend to put miles on our vehicles here....I need it to last.

09 1/2T Silverado 5.3 Flex Fuel / Fuel Mngmt. 3.73 4 Speed
2010 Dutchman Kodiak 28bhsl 4900# Dry
Wife 2Kids 1Snake

LTCLarry

Maggie Valley, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/14/12 08:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1memedog wrote:

I have an extended cab 09 1/2 ton silverado with a 5.3 and trailering package and I tow a 5000lb (dry) tt. I have weight dist. etc... I have no problem towing, I have towed my trailer to the grand canyon, yosemite, over the grapevine and many other small trips. I usually average about 11.2 mpg each trip. It does fine, on hills I am no different than 3/4 hd's and one tons with their giant 5er's and toy haulers...it's all proportional.
I went through the same anxieties when I bought my trailer in 2010 and asked the same questions here. But for my set up and weight range it has been just fine. When I am totally loaded I am probably around 5600 to 5800 pounds. I wouldn't want to go any heavier but it works just fine for me.
I have a 2010 dutchmen kodiak 28' bunkhouse with slide. I tried to keep my trailer and anticipated full weight at 75% of the gross towing weight.

What WD are you using with your setup...I'd like to move up to an RL type unit and still stay under 5500 dry....am trying to get as much research in as possible before I leap

1memedog

santa clarita

View Profile

Posted: 04/13/12 08:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have an extended cab 09 1/2 ton silverado with a 5.3 and trailering package and I tow a 5000lb (dry) tt. I have weight dist. etc... I have no problem towing, I have towed my trailer to the grand canyon, yosemite, over the grapevine and many other small trips. I usually average about 11.2 mpg each trip. It does fine, on hills I am no different than 3/4 hd's and one tons with their giant 5er's and toy haulers...it's all proportional.
I went through the same anxieties when I bought my trailer in 2010 and asked the same questions here. But for my set up and weight range it has been just fine. When I am totally loaded I am probably around 5600 to 5800 pounds. I wouldn't want to go any heavier but it works just fine for me.
I have a 2010 dutchmen kodiak 28' bunkhouse with slide. I tried to keep my trailer and anticipated full weight at 75% of the gross towing weight.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Will I be able to tow this??????
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS