RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Schwintek slide problem!!!!!

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Schwintek slide problem!!!!!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
jalichty

Lander, Wyoming 82520

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/03/12 07:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A while back you folks were great at trying to help me with the problem I had with my Schwintek slide refusing to work. Well, now we got it in and to the dealer yesterday and the tech knew nothing about the slide system even though I had sent them all the material I could find. They apparently didn't think they needed to read anything to fix my problem. When we got there the tech asked whether I had used the hand crank to get the slide in and, of course, I said no. He asked why and I told him there was no hand crank. He also said he had changed out a lot of motors and were they in the bottom of the slide and I said no, they are on each side of the slide on the top. Well, eventually he read the material I had printed and brought down since I figured they wouldn't read the stuff I sent by internet. He eventually got the slide to move out so he could see the motors and, lo and behold, he talked to Lippert which now owns the Schwintek system and they said my slide system was subject to a recall and they would be sending a whole new system, motors, gears, etc. to help get this fixed.

Have any of you had anything like this happen with your Schwintek slide systems while you have had them? What was the result of your problems and the repair?

John A. Lichty

McKenziek

Visalia, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/12 07:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You care to update if the problem is fixed?

2013 Four Winds 33SW F550 Class C

jalichty

Lander, Wyoming 82520

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/04/12 10:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, we took it to Zion, unfixed, and worked it by activating the override in the stowage area on the curbside. Had to take a pointed object, stylus, and push a button six times rapidly and then hold it in on the seventh time until the lights flashed red and green alternately. Wife stood inside and pushed the out or in button and it worked. Not right, but it did work. After we got back, we called them and the parts were in so we dropped down, 2 1/2 hours each way, and they put in the new parts and it seems to work right now. We hold our breath every time we try it. Time will tell.

jalichty

Lander, Wyoming 82520

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/05/12 09:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bad, hope they get yours fixed. It took two sets of motors and whatelse to get mine to a point where it's supposed to be fixed. First time around, we dropped it at the dealer and he called later and said "it's fixed, come and get it". When we hooked up the slide wouldn't even move. So we left it, got it delivered and went to Zion before getting it "fixed" again. As I said, we hold our breath each time we use the slide.

lightfoot

Cary, Illinois

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/04/12 08:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It would be nice to know if whatever was sent and installed worked or is there still a problem. Also where is the info on the recall? One of my slides acts up every once in a while. All I have to do if it doesn't shut right the first time is run it back out about half way and back in and it shuts completely.

USN EN2 (RET)
2012 Ford F250 SC, 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2011 Voltage 3200
'94 Honda GL1500
'00 Yamaha Venture

bad99ram

home

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/05/12 07:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have the same system in my Jayco 321RLMS. After spending the winter in South Texas the monster slide refused to retract. ( I had cycled it twice a month during our 7 month stay with no problems) I contacted the selling dealership and the service manager emailed me a booklet on the system. I contacted a service tech and along with 3 friends and the info provided we were able to get the slide retacted manually. It was a PITA to make a 1800 mile trip with the slide in but we managed just fine. The unit is currently at the selling dealership and they have a Lippert Tech coming in with new rack systems to resolve the issue. Jayco has repaid me for the service call ( yea).

jalichty

Lander, Wyoming 82520

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/05/12 01:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bstark, thanks for your comment. I feel, as you do, that the dealer's tech not knowing what was going on was not right. I had emailed the info to them a week beforehand, but they apparently chose not to share that with the tech. Once he found out what he was working on and what the problem was, he quickly got hold of Schwintek and tried to get it right. I think this was first for them at this dealership. I also agree with you about doing the work yourself, however, I am an accountant, not a person who can do a lot of repair himself and that's why I use dealers rather than myself. I have done some repair, but nothing major or electrical.

bstark

Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 06/07/12 11:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jalichty wrote:

bstark, thanks for your comment. I feel, as you do, that the dealer's tech not knowing what was going on was not right. I had emailed the info to them a week beforehand, but they apparently chose not to share that with the tech. Once he found out what he was working on and what the problem was, he quickly got hold of Schwintek and tried to get it right. I think this was first for them at this dealership. I also agree with you about doing the work yourself, however, I am an accountant, not a person who can do a lot of repair himself and that's why I use dealers rather than myself. I have done some repair, but nothing major or electrical.

I understand your DIY skills, or lack thereof, making it necessary to use dealer's services but that brings up an interesting point aobut these RV tech's and the dealers they work for.

If you were to purchase a Lexus and experience a problem within the first few months of ownership: would you expect to have to provide the dealer with the literature pertaining to your particular problem. Would the mechanics or tech's need to phone the manufacturer to get the details about your repair? Would having this problem recur be expected?

They would book your vehicle in and have you sign a work order detailing the repair and later present you with a complete breakdown in parts used along with man-hours charged to either your warranty or your pocket. You would not be expected to leave your vehicle with them while they take the necessary steps to TRAIN the tech via a phone call, not without providing you with a loaner/courtesy car anyway.

I know that last bit might be out of reach for RV's but nevertheless you're paying as much for one of these things and should be treated along the same lines.

Drive up for your assigned appointment, un-hook walk inside to the service desk to review and sign the work order, discuss the time frame for the repair and when you should expect your rig completed for pick-up. That part is fairly generic to any service trade.

It all goes awry when you arrive in the parking lot and they don't seem to remember you were even coming. They talk to you like they're doing you a favour fitting you into their very busy schedule of PDI'ing new rigs for sale or pick-up "gee we're awfully busy but we'll try to get to it by thursday" is the common refrain. "What was wrong with it again"? "Oh, we've never worked on that type."

All the foregoing does nothing to inspire confidence you'll ever see your trailer again, much less in a repaired condition. this is all so wrong!

Today is just the tomorrow you worried about yesterday!

bstark

Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 06/05/12 09:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Were I in a position to have on my payroll these so-called tech's; I'd make darn certain that they would remain current on this junk!

To have a certain product in your inventory and willingly sell the things; you should make certain the customer is inconvenienced by this product the very least amount possible. To receive a customer's input and heads up in the form of pre-notice along with the applicable literature (all stuff they should already have on hand) and STILL ignore that input and rely on the customer to provide you with the necessary information for you to perform your servicing obligations is just downright STUPID!

Why do we as RV'ers keep tolerating this treatment.

Another reason why I never batted an eye when my International Toter was due for service as every servicing dealer we used fell over themselves making absolutley certain all work was done correctly and quickly.

In comparison; I cringed any time I had a problem with my trailer that I could not repair or adjust myself. My career in high speed production equipment sales/installation/maintenance mean't that all but fiberglass and cosmetic issues were performed by myself and I knew beforehand that if one item needed repair it would come out of the shop with at least four things now needing repair along with having to clean up the mess left behind.

I eventually defaulted to my routine of ordering the parts from the manufacture and performing ALL repairs myself.

Apologies to all for off topic rant!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Schwintek slide problem!!!!!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS