RV.Net Open Roads Forum: RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions: Washington DC metro?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
LT E5

Central, CT

View Profile

Posted: 04/03/12 07:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Planning on staying at Cherry Hill Park. We're planning on taking the green line into D.C. and was wondering what is the easiest station to get off for The Smithsonian, Washington Monument and Licoln Memorial and how far of a walk those places would be? I can't tell on the Metro map if these places are close to one another or not. Thanks

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/03/12 07:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Metro drops you about a block off the National Mall. Once you are on the Mall there is a -LOT- of walking from the Congress to the monuments on the other end. The Smithsonian buildings are on both sides of the Mall from about where you enter it to the Congress. We spent 3 days wandering around it and did not cover any of the places right off the Mall. We did get to all the Smithsonian museums and the monuments.

Glendale Titanium 29E34TS fifth wheel
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
PullRite OE Series Super5th 18K
Superbumper

travel4family

Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/03/12 09:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The stop you want is actually called "Smithsonian." When you come up the steps there you are right on the Mall, between the rows of museums.

It is "close" - let's call that a 20 minute walk, 30 with children, etc.) to the mall Smithsonian museums, the Washington Monument, and might at the edge of 20 mins the Lincoln Memorial.
It is probably a little longer to the Capitol -it looks close I know, but it's a long way down there. I think the mall total is 2 miles long from Capitol to Lincoln and the subway stop is roughly in the center of that.
The walk around the Tidal Basin which is sort of to the left of Lincoln(FDR and Jefferson) takes probably an hour or so, longer if you stop even more.

You can walk to the White House if you're not tired. Again, farther than it looks... especially if you keep in mind what you're looking at from the mall is the BACK of the White House. If you want to see if from the front - which is a lot closer to the fence, and probably what you're expecting from pictures you've seen, get back on the Metro, take the blue or orange line to Farragut West.

The metro website is great - we still use it when we're there even though we know our way around most areas (my sister lives there). It is www.wmata.com. Right on the front page you can type in a from (the Metro station they're dropping you off at - is it College Park maybe?), and then a TO: Smithsonian, and they will tell you exactly what transfers and stops to get out at. Also, it will give you fare info -keep in mind what time of day changes the fare. They're more $$ at busy times - from 830-1000 am and from 530-7 expect to stand - it's very crowded during that time.

A little more than you asked, but I hope that helps!

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/03/12 10:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The best stop as suggested is Smithsonian. You are right at the museums. The Washington Monument is right there also. There is no metro stop that is really close to the Lincoln Memorial. It is a walk, no matter where you get off. But it is worth the walk -and right there at the Lincoln Memorial is the Vietnam Memorial and the Korean War Memorial. If you can see the Korean War Memorial at night - it is incredible!

Roadtrek 190 Popular 2011

Meryl and Me Hit the Road

sdianel

Tampa, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/03/12 11:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Once you get off the metro, there is a trolley you can pay for all day and hop on-hop off. Well worth it. It seems that the office at the park had a lot of info when we went. There were extremely helpful.

Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

D & M

Laurel, MD

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/04/12 01:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here's the dealeo. You get on the Green line (I'm guerssing College Park station) and transfer at L'Enfant Plaza stop to the Orange Line. Take it towards the Vienna/Fairfax/GMU station one stop and get off at the Smithsonian stop. It pop's you up on the National Mall right between the Washington Monument and the Capitol Building on the east end of the Mall.

I live here and do it all of the time for work.

Metro Map

The distance betweeent the Capitol steps on the east end of the Mall and the steps to see Honest Abe at the west end is 1.9 miles. Bring your walking shoes!

Look at the WMATA website and you can get information on travel times, fares, etc.

If you are thinging of driving to a WMATA station and parking during the week, you may wish to consider just catching the bus that stops at teh front gate of Cherry Hill. The parking lots fill up quick with commuters.

Plan on spending time in just a couple of places (Quality vs. Quantity). You can catch a jump on-jump off trolly (CLICKY) if you are really pressed for time.

Dave
Mary, the world's best wife (1951-2009) R.I.P
Lizzy (the Boston)
Izzy, Pepper & BuddyP - Gone but not forgotten
2005 Itasca Suncruiser 35A

Dear McDonald's, Thank you for not selling hot dogs. I don't think I could order a McWiener with a straight face.

darbyjudy

New Port Richey

View Profile

Posted: 04/04/12 08:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It has been years since the wife & I have visited Washington DC. Since that time we both have gotten a lot older and don't do well with long walks. Is there a way you can see Washington without too much walking. My wife uses a scooter most of the time. Can you rent scooters at the Mall.

2004 Gulf Stream 36 ft Sun Voyager triple slide
Workhorse W22 8.1
2004 Saturn VUE w/stowmaster towbar
Two Ole Pharts & One Little CocaPoo named Cuddles

D.E.Bishop

Eagle Rock, CA

View Profile

Posted: 04/04/12 09:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Darby, We were there last fall on the last weekend of regular bus service from Cherry Hill Park and didn't have a lot of time but checked out and booked two tours in the office at the park. Did the night time tour and I loved it, the Lincoln Memorial at night is special. Haven't seen it during the day yet, but I will go again with the DGKs at night as soon as we can get them there. The Korean War Memorial is surreal at night. The day time tour was great too, only got to see one of the museums but while I got off the bus and toured the WWII Memorial the DW went up to the Lincoln Memorial. She is very limited in her mobility and didn't want to see the WWII Memorial and couldn't walk as far as the Lincoln Memorial when we were on the night tour, the bus driver volunteered to take her right up to the steps to the LM. There is a lot of walking as noted and I don't know if or where you can rent a chair or scoter but if you are staying at CHP call the office and ask them. They are friendly and informative and know a lot about DC.

"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
1990 Bounder 27D
06 Suzuki Grand Vitara 4X4
Stowmaster 5000

hitchup

Fulltiming and on the Road.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/04/12 12:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cherry Hill has all the maps you'll need. We stayed on the Green line until it arrived at Union Station and then took the trolley. Then we could get use it to go to farthest point or when we tired. It was actually buy 1, get 2nd day free when we got ours.

So the 1st day, we were dropped off at the Lincoln Memorial, walked around the Water Pool to the Vietnam, then WWII Memorials, onto the grass to the Washington Monument and back to the Smithsonians and Capital Building. The 2nd day, we went straight to the Museums we hadn't toured the day before. Including the Postal Museum, which is right next to Union Station.

The food court at Union Station is the best. Then we liked the one at the Air & Space Museum. But really didn't like the one at the Museum of Natural History.

2014 DRV Mobile Suite Estates 38RSB3....our custom home
2014 Ford F450 KR CC 4x4......his office
Working Fulltimers since 3/2005

"Shoot for the Moon! Even if you miss it, you will land among the Stars."

RRinNFla

Northeast Florida

View Profile

Posted: 04/04/12 01:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The best Metro stop depends on which museums you want to see. You can exit the Green Line at L'Enfant plaza and you are close to the Air and Space Museum as well as the American Indian Museum. You can stay on the Green Line to Archives and you will be close to Museum of Natural History, and the Museum of American History. You can transfer at L'Enfant to the Blue or Orange line, go one stop to Smithsonian and you will be close to the castle.

It will all make sense if you study the maps a little bit.

Richard

2007 Keystone Cougar 291RLS
2008 Ford F250 V10 (Gas), EC, SB, 4X4

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS