|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing

> Ford Escape Report

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
mlh

Walker, Louisiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/22/12 03:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just received an email response from Ford.....interesting.....I replied asking for clarification since it directly contradicts the supplement and what the person on the phone at Ford told me.

Thank you for contacting the Ford Customer Relationship Center.

My name is ******* and I had the opportunity to read your email inquiring about the Front-wheel drive towing on your 2012 Ford Escape. First, congratulations on your recent purchase and I am very pleased to welcome you to the Ford family. I appreciate you taking the time to write to us and consider our assistance in regard to this matter.

To assist you, I have personally checked your Owner's Manual on page 205 under the Tires, Wheel and Loading.

Your Front-wheel drive (FWD) vehicles can be towed with all four wheels on the ground or with the front wheels off the ground by using a tow dolly. If you are using a tow dolly follow the instructions specified by the equipment provider. If you are towing with all four wheels on the ground, refer to the towing instructions below.

Four-wheel drive (4WD) vehicles can be towed with all four wheels on the ground or with all four wheels off the ground using a vehicle transport trailer. Do not tow your 4WD vehicle with the front wheels off the ground (by using a tow dolly) and the rear wheels on the ground; this will cause damage to your 4WD system. If you are using a vehicle transport trailer, follow the instruction specified by the equipment provider. If you are towing with all four wheels on the ground, refer to the towing instructions below.
If you tow your vehicle with all four wheels on the ground:

• For vehicles equipped with an automatic transmission, have your transmission fluid level checked by an authorized dealer. For the correct transmission fluid level when flat towing (all four wheels on the ground)

• Tow only in the forward direction.
• Release the parking brake.
• Place the transmission shift lever in N (Neutral).
• Place the ignition to the accessory position • Do not exceed 65 mph (105 km/h) if the vehicle is equipped with an automatic transmission or 70 mph (113 km/h) if equipped with a manual transmission.
• If the vehicle is equipped with an automatic transmission, start the engine and allow it to run for five minutes at the beginning of each day and every six hours thereafter. With the engine running and your foot on the brake, shift into D (Drive) and then into R (Reverse) before shifting back into N (Neutral).

If you need further clarification and assistance, I suggest you speak with Service Manager ******** of ********** Ford at (***) ***-****. He will further assist in facilitating your service needs. Our dealerships have factory trained technicians, comprehensive service information and specialized equipment to resolve any concerns on your vehicle. They serve as our technical experts and can recommend the necessary service for your vehicle.

I hope this experience will not affect your relationship with Ford Motor Company. Our intentions are not to inconvenience you in any way, our goal is to work with you to ensure that your concern will be properly addressed through the assistance of our dealership.

Thank you for contacting Ford Motor Company.

Sincerely,

2010 Sunseeker 3170DS
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Roadmaster Falcon 2 tow bar

ScottMack

Oklahoma

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/22/12 07:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Oh my....maybe we should introduce the left hand to the right hand....

2010 Winnebago Outlook 29B
2010 Ford Escape (1 blown tranny at 4876 towing miles)

wny_pat

Western NYS

View Profile

Posted: 04/22/12 09:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mlh wrote:

I just received an email response from Ford.....interesting.....I replied asking for clarification since it directly contradicts the supplement and what the person on the phone at Ford told me.

Thank you for contacting the Ford Customer Relationship Center.

My name is ******* and I had the opportunity to read your email inquiring about the Front-wheel drive towing on your 2012 Ford Escape. First, congratulations on your recent purchase and I am very pleased to welcome you to the Ford family. I appreciate you taking the time to write to us and consider our assistance in regard to this matter.

To assist you, I have personally checked your Owner's Manual on page 205 under the Tires, Wheel and Loading.

Your Front-wheel drive (FWD) vehicles can be towed with all four wheels on the ground or with the front wheels off the ground by using a tow dolly. If you are using a tow dolly follow the instructions specified by the equipment provider. If you are towing with all four wheels on the ground, refer to the towing instructions below.

Four-wheel drive (4WD) vehicles can be towed with all four wheels on the ground or with all four wheels off the ground using a vehicle transport trailer. Do not tow your 4WD vehicle with the front wheels off the ground (by using a tow dolly) and the rear wheels on the ground; this will cause damage to your 4WD system. If you are using a vehicle transport trailer, follow the instruction specified by the equipment provider. If you are towing with all four wheels on the ground, refer to the towing instructions below.
If you tow your vehicle with all four wheels on the ground:

• For vehicles equipped with an automatic transmission, have your transmission fluid level checked by an authorized dealer. For the correct transmission fluid level when flat towing (all four wheels on the ground)

• Tow only in the forward direction.
• Release the parking brake.
• Place the transmission shift lever in N (Neutral).
• Place the ignition to the accessory position • Do not exceed 65 mph (105 km/h) if the vehicle is equipped with an automatic transmission or 70 mph (113 km/h) if equipped with a manual transmission.
• If the vehicle is equipped with an automatic transmission, start the engine and allow it to run for five minutes at the beginning of each day and every six hours thereafter. With the engine running and your foot on the brake, shift into D (Drive) and then into R (Reverse) before shifting back into N (Neutral).

If you need further clarification and assistance, I suggest you speak with Service Manager ******** of ********** Ford at (***) ***-****. He will further assist in facilitating your service needs. Our dealerships have factory trained technicians, comprehensive service information and specialized equipment to resolve any concerns on your vehicle. They serve as our technical experts and can recommend the necessary service for your vehicle.

I hope this experience will not affect your relationship with Ford Motor Company. Our intentions are not to inconvenience you in any way, our goal is to work with you to ensure that your concern will be properly addressed through the assistance of our dealership.

Thank you for contacting Ford Motor Company.

Sincerely,

My own personal experience with Ford Customer Relationship Center is that they usually do not have a clue. Did you happen to mention the supplement to the manual?

“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”

DandSW

West Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/23/12 06:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mlh - I would not consider this the last word on this issue. It appears this individual only read the original 2012 manual and based their answer on that language. Ford Customer Service people are not technically oriented and I'm not even sure they are Ford employees. My original suggestion to take this up with the dealer, who can contact people at Ford who know, still stands. In the end, it is the dealer who will be the one making anything right. Good Luck and keep us informed.

Dave
2010 Newmar CS3647 / 2010 Ford Escape

the_armadillo

SE Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/23/12 11:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Take the email to the dealer with you.

psoupsr

Fresno

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/03/12 02:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We purchased a 2010 Ford Escape to tow behind our Diesel pusher. We were told, and confirmed in the owner's manual, that you can tow with an automatic transmission with all four on the ground. Our dealer in Casa Grande, AZ reduced the level of trans. fluid and put in a new dispstick showing the proper level. We faithfully followed all of the guidelines including running the engine and shifting the gears, driving under 65 mph. This worked well for about 13,000 miles. The last time I drove it, I followed all the guidelines, pulled into a rest stop for lunch, went out to run it through the gears and it was smoking badly. The trans had burned up. Ford replaced the transmission under warranty. The outside air temperature was about 100 degrees however being pulled behind a pusher, I think the air surrounding the transmission overheated the fluid causing the transmission fluid to purge resulting in complete failure. I don't know if a Remco would do the trick, but I think that Ford needs a larger transmission sump and probably an additional transcooler. The transmission that I had was built by Mazda for Ford.

phranc

Central NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/03/12 09:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would think that anyone contemplating purchasing a new or used Ford Escape
might also contemplate an alternate brand

2008 Diesel Bounder 38V

DandSW

West Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/23/12 05:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mlh - this was posted on another forum today. May be of interest to you:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/it-is-off........longer-towable-121263-2.html#post1153475

mlh

Walker, Louisiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/23/12 07:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here is what I replied to Ford from their first response.........

I appreciate the quick response. I am a little confused now. I am
attaching the Owner's Guide Supplement (1st Printing) that was found on the motorcraftservice.com website. It specifically states that the Escape cannot be towed with 4 wheels on the ground. I also called your customer service line and spoke to the person that answered the phone. She looked up the list of Ford vehicles that can be towed behind an rv with all wheels on the ground. She stated that the Escape Hybrid was the only model that could be towed in this manner. She stated that I should contact the dealer. I contacted my salesman and it was the first he had heard of it. He said he
had a call into Ford to find out how to remedy the situation being that I specifically bought the vehicle for the purpose of towing behind an rv.

Any additional information you can provide would be much appreciated. I would like to get this resolved quickly as I have another trip planned in the very near future. I don't want to get caught in a situation where a transmission failure would not be covered under warranty even though I verified that this vehicle could be towed with the dealer before purchasing it and also had the TSB performed by the dealer to set the transmission fluid to the correct level for towing.

Thanks,

Here is their second response I got today......

My name is ***** and I have taken the opportunity to address your inquiry regarding if your 2012 Ford Escape can be towed with 4 wheels on the ground. It is certainly understandable as to why this would be a frustrating experience not being sure of the various answer you have been told about this.

We double checked the 2nd edition of the owners manual and on page 205 at owner.ford.com it does state that both FWD and 4WD can be towed with all 4 wheels on the ground. We apologize if there was any confusion with this information.

We appreciate you taking the time to write us and hope everything works out for you. Thank you for contacting Ford.

Sincerely,

Either they are just plain idiots or they do not want to answer my question for whatever reason.

RVerMJ

Jupiter, FL

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/12 01:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just came back from the Ford dealer where I sat with the service manager and went over the bulletins. He punched in my vin # and it said "safe & secure flat towing this vehicle". We then looked at bulletin #22321 (April 18, 2012) which says "2012 Escapes equipped with 6F35 transmission with a build date on or after 2/27/2012 cannot be flat towed." 2012s with a build date before that (mine was 11-7-2011) are okay. HOWEVER, there was bulletin from 7-15-11 saying that some of these 6F35 transmissions "may experience transmission shift concerns" which "may be caused by" fluid levels too high, going too fast and all the other things in the manual. Soooo, am I okay or not? Yes and no. I can still tow and be covered by the warranty, however they can't guarantee there won't be a problem. The towing supplement that was issued in February, 2012 is confusing because it doesn't have the build date info and just says 2012. Now, at least, I feel like I have the correct info from the horse's mouth.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing

> Ford Escape Report
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS