|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Oil Question

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
maxwell11

Hazel, KY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/05/12 08:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I enjoy this site as you can get a cross section of answers: no all Dodge, Ford, Chevy or the highway.

on another forum I follow, diesel oil was the topic:

Question was: Is Mobil Delvac 1300 Super 15w40 good oil

most all that responded like Mobil Delvac 1300 oil

However,

one response said he used it because Shell Rotella stinks, he called Rotella, (Shell Rosmella).
Plus the word is that Shell is doing dealings with certain countries and areas of which the USA is not friends with... remember 9/11? I wish I still had the email that I received from an Exxon/Mobil rep. with the links to the articles.

I use Shell Rotella in my Dodge diesel truck and my farm tractor, I believe it is an excellent oil with the zinc additive.

Have any of your guys ever heard anything about Shell's dealing with countries the US is not friendly with? Also, I never had a problem with the smell of the oil, all oil has some odor, but it is not a bad odor.

Thanks for your reply,

It sure would take some heavy duty negitives on Shell Rotella for me to change oil brands.

FishOnOne

Katy

View Profile

Posted: 04/05/12 08:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mobil 1300 Super is an outstanding oil. It produces steller UOA in all the diesels and it's trinuclear moly is probably the main reason.

I run this oil in my 6.0 psd up to about 7,000 miles with no consumption at all and the HEUI injectors stay as quite as when the oil was fresh and I still have all 8 original injectors.

On the other hand Rotella and Delo in my engine I noticed the oil level dropped on dip stick (probably due to oil shearing)and the injectors would start to get noisy at ~ 6k miles.

At 165k miles and running this oil my truck doesn't use any oil running the Mobil 1300 even when pulling.

'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD "Built Ford Tough"
'06 Holiday Rambler 31SKD

NavyDood

NW of DFW

View Profile

Posted: 04/05/12 09:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As I posted on the same forum you are referring to, unless Delvac's additive package has changed it has always had the most robust additive package of all the dino based diesel oils.

- Retired Navy Chief
- Vanilla 04 2500 QCSB, 4x4, 48RE w/MagHytec DD, Smarty Jr, 4" Exh, Modded Air Box, Isspro Gauges, Quadzilla RPG w/fuel pressure, DynaTrac front, Coolant By-Pass Filter
- 06 Pilgrim 30RE2SLF-5 13,300lbs loaded. B&W Companion

PapPappy

Wilmington, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/05/12 10:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All the big name oils are going to have the quality, and Rotella is no different. As far as where an oil came from (or who the company works for), it shouldn't have an effect on the quality of the oils you mentioned. That doesn't mean that it won't effect how some folks review it

A lot of these products are traded back and forth by intermediate Brokers, so just because Citgo or Shell may have alliances to places we don't like, doesn't mean that the dealer down the street, with the Red/White/Blue flags and such isn't getting something from one of those other companies put into their tanks.

Buy the Rotella, or whatever oil your Mfgr recommends, for the best price you can find, and don't worry about it

Bill & Claudia / DD Jenn / DS Chris / GS MJ
Dogs: Sophie, Abby, Brandy, Kahlie, Annie, Maggie, Tugger & Beau
RIP: Cookie, Foxy & Gidget @ Rainbow Bridge.
2000 Winnebago "Minnie" 31C, Ford V-10
Purchased April 2008 FMCA# F407293
The Pets

lawnspecialties

Home

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/06/12 06:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For what its worth, I actually have switched to Motorcraft oil for my F450. Why? Better? Nope.

It comes in 5 quart jugs and per quart, its just cheaper.

skipnchar

Topeka or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 04/06/12 07:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Shell Oil is an international company and they (and all OTHER oil companies) certainly do business with all kind of different nations. They are a BUSINESS organization not a political one. In order to get away from doing business with folks in the petrochemical business who also do business with those nations means you stop driving. Where does the oil they refine to make the gasoline or diesel you burn come from? The answer is "you have NO IDEA"

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

NewsW

US

View Profile

Posted: 04/06/12 07:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

skipnchar wrote:

Where does the oil they refine to make the gasoline or diesel you burn come from? The answer is "you have NO IDEA"

Completely agree with you.

If you want to mix politics and business, it makes for strange bedfellows.

90% Business Process Outsourcing

(from software to customer service)

comes from India

90% Vitamin C China

70% penicillin China

50% aspirin China

35% acetaminophen China

Rota

right here

View Profile

Posted: 06/21/12 08:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rottela does have a distinctive smell(rosesmella) when it gets hot.

This is from years of operating heavy equipment.
Usalley it happens when the engine is over heated or some is spilled or leaked onto the exhaust manifold.

I use Rottela or Valvoline.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 06/22/12 12:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

AMZ/OIL 15-40 100 percent synthetic

2011 Ram Laramie Longhorn 3500 Dually Long Bed, Cummins 350/800 HO, Towin Machine
B&W Companion Hitch, Maghytec Trans and Rear Dif Covers, AMZ/OIL Top To Bottom
2007 1/2 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 27,000# Combined

RedG

Fort Worth Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/22/12 11:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Any certified CJ-4 oil will be fine for today's diesel engines. IMO, Rotella is good oil even though it does look and smell a little funky. I prefer Delo just because it looks cleaner coming out of the jug, but I'm sure it's no better than Rotella or Delvac. I stick with the big 3 and usually buy what's on sale at the time. I think a lot of people get way too anal about oil and way too many people get sucked into the Amsoil hype.

2005 Newmar Dutch Star 4024 DP 370 Cummins
Towing my 2012 Malibu w/Blue Ox towbar & Patriot brake system

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Oil Question
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: