|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> How to find free Kindle books

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/07/12 08:11am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Amazon encourages new authors to give their book away for a short period in order to build up a set of (hopefully) good reviews. That will help them sell the book and build a following. So anywhere from 200-500+ books a day become available. And these will be free for a period of hours to 5 days depending on the author.

Just as an off the top of my head guess I'd say that the most common book themes are:
- Romance
- General Fiction including mysteries
- Cookbooks
- Female advice books
- Science Fiction
and just about every other subject you can think of including hardcore technical thru all sorts of crafts and hobbies to travel.

Just one word of warning, while this list includes erotic the list maintainer in theory does not show those covers or titles but just lists them as: Erotic

But I think that depends on how the author tags the book. Because some books are rather racy that do show up with cover and title.

I think the best way to scan thru these is to select show cover and that way you can go thru hundreds of books fairly quickly. This is an rss list which means you would have to read it in a reader like Google reader. I suppose you could just visit the website daily tho.

Some of today's books

Glendale Titanium 29E34TS fifth wheel
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
PullRite OE Series Super5th 18K
Superbumper

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/07/12 08:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Oh one other thing. I'll try to post the free travel books or other RV books over in the general forum as I come across them since I'm sure most people won't want to wade thru that list every day. I do it anyway since I'm looking for photo books because I moderate a couple of big Yahoo photo forums.

n7bsn

Yes

View Profile

Posted: 04/07/12 09:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Baen Publishing has an reasonable list of books they are giving away, often older books that they will not be republishing (hard-copy). Many of these are in other formats, so you will need to convert them (Calibri would be my recommendation) to Kindle format.

2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.

AprilWhine

Somewhere west of Laramie

View Profile

Posted: 04/07/12 08:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks! I use eReaderIQ daily but am familiar with KinLib. Any reason you prefer KinLib over eReaderIQ?

1997 Prevost by Angola towing 2011 Ford Ranger
OR
2008 Winnebago View towing 2008 Mini Clubman
Pick one

jauguston

Bellingham, WA

View Profile

Posted: 04/07/12 08:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I find this site useful. http://www.squidoo.com/the-best-of-amazon-daily-free-ebooks-kindle-ipad

Jim

2005 Coachman Sportscoach Elite 402 40'
350hp Cat C-7 w/MP-8
7500w Onan quiet diesel generator
6-Kyocera 130w solar panels SB3024i MPPT controller
Pressure Pro TPMS
1987 Suzuki Samurai tintop Toad w/VW 1.6 turbo diesel power

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/07/12 08:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I haven't looked at eReaderIQ but I will. I get a couple of lists that cull thru the books and post their favorites but I think most of their reviewers are women and they tend to select books to their taste, no surprise.

jim isham

stevensville, michigan

View Profile

Posted: 04/07/12 05:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your local library may have Kindle books available for checkout. Our library is part of the Southwest Michigan Digital Library. I've found some good books there.
Right now in the Mystery and Suspense category, they list 238 novels with 84 available. The rest of the novels have people on a waiting list for them.
You can check one out for two weeks. After the two weeks, you can renew it if no one is on a waiting list for it. Otherwise you go back on a waiting list before you can download it again.
There's over 1500 books in the fiction section and 335 in nonfiction.

Michigan's Sunset Coast

96Bounder30E

America is my home!

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/07/12 02:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Moved from Tech Issues

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/07/12 05:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That's true but the book publishers are trying to cut it off. Several have stopped selling ebooks to libraries--Penguin Books for one. The Dept. of Justice is investigating the book industry and Apple for price fixing eBooks. Instead of being sensible and selling eBooks for a half or a quarter of what they sell paper copies for, they are trying to suppress the eBook market since it competes too effectively with their paper books. All of this is stupid since it just pushes people to pirate sites. How many people are willing to pay $20 for an eBook when the paper edition is selling for $12? And it doesn't cost the publisher anymore to publish 10,000 eBooks than it does one. The cost to them drops just about to zero.

One other resource if you are a Amazon Prime member is that you can borrow many books from Amazon--one at a time. Just look for the Amazon Prime Library on your Kindle.

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/07/12 10:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Caliber is a great resource, it's free and you can use it as a general eBook reader too. I've heard about the Baen books I'll have to check it out.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> How to find free Kindle books
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS