RV.Net Open Roads Forum: RV Pet Stop: Camping with Puppy tips?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop

> Camping with Puppy tips?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Chuck&Gail

In the Colorado Mountains

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/07/12 07:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lots of great tips above, not too much to add.

We taught all our dogs from day one that barking inside the trailer was NEVER ok. Most dogs we've had learned that easily, as it is consistant. Easiest to teach from first time in an RV.

If leaving dog in TT alone, music helps. We also put a sign on the door with our cell phone number so any issues someone can get us. We also ask neighbor to call if there is barking (never been called, not once).

We carry a special blanket that is his place to go for sleep, or when told to.

Get him chipped. Also tags. Ours in addition has an 800 rescue number along with our cell number just in case (embroderd on collar actually).

A long walk first thing in morning, and last thing at night, every day, rain, snow, no matter, walk. Also if leaving him alone, a long walk before being left.

Have fun, and he will as well.

Chuck
Wonderful Wife
Australian Shepherd
2010 Ford Expedition TV
2010 Outback 230RS Toybox, 5390# UVW, 6800# Loaded
Not yet camped in Hawaii, 2 Canada Provinces, & 2 Territories
I can't be lost because I don't care where this lovely road is going

SSki

Chandler, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/07/12 08:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Been on the road for just over two months with our new puppy, although ours is older than yours will be, crate training him was the best thing I did. And as other said lots of chew toys and treats for rewarding good behavior. I also made sure he has his own bed and blanket to curl up on. Congratulations, your puppy is absolutely adorable.

DogsCamping

florida

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/12 08:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Chuggs did a great job.....I have written a book called Camping and RVing with Dogs, published by Woodalls....so feel free to private message me with questions. We all share a lot of info in my Facebook group too.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/RVingwithDogs/

campn4walleye

Central WI

View Profile

Posted: 04/08/12 04:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

START TRAINING THE MINUTE YOU GET HIM! and love him. Chessys are very loyal and protective!!! Socialize, I cannot emphasize it enough. The are a wonderful breed and very intelligent. Teach him the basics: sit, stay, come, down. 15 mintues several times a day will have him knowing these within a few days. Be patient and gentle. Make a game of it.

Crate train it. Give it it's own space. Microchip it for security. Get a book called "puppies for dummies". I know it sounds crazy, but a wealth of good info. Read it cover to cover ahead of time.

Enjoy your new puppy!

2011 Adventurer 910FBS,Torklift tie downs,Fastguns & Wobbl-stopprs
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW 6.7L CTD, 4x4, LB,CC,6 speed auto,3.73 axle, General 17" on/off road
2008 Lund 1825 Explorer Sport,115 Merc,9.9 kicker,Torklift Super Hitch,42" Supertruss
USAF ret E-9&E-7

Basketweaverz

NW Washington

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/08/12 08:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Someone mentioned having a blanket for a sleeping site. We trained both of our dogs to a towel. No matter where the towel is placed, they lie on it. Makes it so easy to visit friends and take the dogs. Towels fold up small and when put in an out of the way area, the dogs are out of the way. We use it in the motorhome when I am cooking, no dogs underfoot; when we have company that needs to sit on the sofa; and at night so they don't roam the motorhome.

Enjoy your puppy, he's a cutie.

Blanco1

Los Angeles

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/08/12 08:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was thinking more along a form cushion?
I plan to spoil our dog being he will be my boy, never had children & this will be as close as I get.

1997 Dodge 4x4, 5 spd manual trans & HotRod 5.9 cummins.
With '85 Lance.

juliev

SE Minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 04/12/12 06:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We started taking our rat terrier on trips at the age of about 12 weeks. We had a little portable airline carry-on type of soft crate that we used for her. It was much lighter than a plastic crate. Also bring some bottled water for the pup, you do not want a puppy with the runs in your camper! Also make sure you have some extra old towels or rags in case you do need to bathe the pup on the road.

Most of all, bring your camera!

Julie

Blanco1

Los Angeles

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/12/12 06:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

juliev wrote:

We started taking our rat terrier on trips at the age of about 12 weeks. We had a little portable airline carry-on type of soft crate that we used for her. It was much lighter than a plastic crate. Also bring some bottled water for the pup, you do not want a puppy with the runs in your camper! Also make sure you have some extra old towels or rags in case you do need to bathe the pup on the road.

Most of all, bring your camera!

Great point as well thank you, who knows what a doggy might eat out there when your not looking or roll around into..

Bonefish

Midland, TX

View Profile

Posted: 04/12/12 01:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

They all have given you good information. We have soft side kennels for the lighter weight & use them outside as a safe place to sleep or rest when you are out with the pup. The mesh side seems to protect them from wind & can still see out. I have seen them in all sizes. I also on planned trips know the numbers & location of vet's or clinics. Many times we have had to take one in for care. Have a medical kit made up for dogs, ask your vet what you will need. Extra harness,leash & water bowl in the car. Be sure to have your vet's number & get the chip number too. Once the pup understands what a treat is use them in getting him/her to return to you if the pup runs off.

Sharon

Blanco1

Los Angeles

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/12/12 02:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good idea about a dog 1st aid kit!

& yes he will come chipped & my Breeder works in a vets office so I'll ask her about this.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop

> Camping with Puppy tips?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS