|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Sales tax question -

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
Heylea

Billings, MT

View Profile

Posted: 04/08/12 08:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Happy Easter, All!

How does the sales tax thing work in our situation? We plan on keeping our MT domicile (drivers license, RV and car registration and mail service) when we launch next year into fulltiming. In our search for our new "home on wheels", we are finding VERY limited dealerships/inventory choices in MT so will probably be buying the RV from out of state (Oregon, most likely, due to it is closer to us than TX or FL, for example). Will another state try to tack on sales tax for an RV purchase?

Thanks for input and comments. This is how we beginners learn....!

Heylea
Class A TBD in 2013
2009 Jeep Compas Rallye 4x4 5-sp manual

n7bsn

Yes

View Profile

Posted: 04/08/12 09:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As long as your dealer understands "out of state" sales, you should not have any issues with sales tax as you will be licensing it in Montana.

That being said, have you checked what Bretz (Missoula) has in stock? They have about the largest inventory in the state

2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.

Tom N

Sarver, PA/Crystal River, FL/Shelocta, PA

View Profile

Posted: 04/08/12 09:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You pay sales tax in the state where you register your motorhome purchase.

I bought new in NY and the dealer gave me an intransit permit to take the motorhome out of NY. When I registered in PA I paid the PA sales tax.

-Tom

Sarver, PA/Crystal River, FL/Shelocta, PA · W3TLN · FMCA 335149 · Mystic Knights of the Sea
2005 Suncruiser 38R · W24 chassis, no chassis mods needed · 2013 Honda Accord EX-L · 2008 Honda Odyssey EX-L

sailor_lou

Connecticut

View Profile

Posted: 04/08/12 09:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most (if not all) states will provide you a temporary registration/plate to allow you to drive a vehicle to your home state for permanent registration. You'll need proof of insurance that is applicable for that state and many of the major insurance companies are legal in most states (at least GEICO was for me), but you need to check that out beforehand.

Once you are back to your home state you then pay the sales taxes when you get your permanent registration. This is what I did when I picked up my current MOHO in North Carolina. Good luck,

Lou
05 Travel Supreme Envoy

dalmationlovers

Port Orchard, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/08/12 09:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would check with your state DMV, but I know in Washington State that if you live in another state they will either collect the sales tax for that state and send it to them or as stated above give you a temp permit and you register it locally.

TripleE

Traveling the country

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/08/12 09:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are residents of South Dakota and just purchased a motorhome in Calif. We had to take delivery out of Calif so that we didn't have to pay CA sales tax. The dealership arranged for a driver to take the rig into Arizona and we finished the paperwork there. We then faxed all our paperwork to SD and paid the tax there. Each state has different rules on out of state purchases so make sure you talk to someone at the dealership

Bill & Treasa
Our Blog
2005 Winnebago Vectra 40AD
400 Cummins, Freightliner chassis
2004 Suzuki Grand Vitara 4X4

Blaster Man

USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/08/12 12:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tom N wrote:

-Tom

That's the way it works for me.

rvrepairnut

bc

View Profile

Posted: 04/08/12 12:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Blaster Man wrote:

Tom N wrote:

-Tom

That's the way it works for me.

some state,s do this some not.In CA unless u can talk the dealer into delivering OOS u pay the Ca tax unless your CDN or a dealer

mowermech

Billings, MT

View Profile

Posted: 04/08/12 12:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't know about RVs, but if you purchase a car, truck, or Jeep in California, from a dealer, the dealer will require you to pay sales tax and registration fees, EVEN IF YOU TELL HIM YOU ARE GOING TO REGISTER IT IN MONTANA!
IF the dealer will deliver the vehicle to Nevada, and hand you the paperwork IN NEVADA, then you won't have to pay any of that.
Private party sales are no problem.
Personal experience!
I agree, try Bretz in Missoula. If they don't have what you want, they can probably get it.
Good luck.

CM1, USN (RET)
2002 Fleetwood Southwind 32V, Ford V10
Toad: '06 PT Cruiser, Kar Kaddy dolly
Toy (may become a toad): 2001 Dodge QC SWB, 360 Magnum, Auto, 4X4
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

FedAgent

Corpus Christi, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/08/12 02:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TripleE wrote:

We are residents of South Dakota and just purchased a motorhome in Calif. We had to take delivery out of Calif so that we didn't have to pay CA sales tax. The dealership arranged for a driver to take the rig into Arizona and we finished the paperwork there. We then faxed all our paperwork to SD and paid the tax there. Each state has different rules on out of state purchases so make sure you talk to someone at the dealership

X2, when we purchased an RV in CA, we went through the same process, CA issued a temporary tag, driver had to drive the rig out of state, in our case, AZ. When we got home to Texas, registered the RV and paid the taxes.

Larry
2007 Newmar 37 Mountain Aire, 05 Jeep Wrangler,lifted and chipped toad.

Yellowstone National Park seasonal staff.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Sales tax question -
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS