|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> New wheels,need some advice,please

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
campingcareys

albany,ny

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/09/12 05:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Last fall i purchased a set of eagle alloy 058,16x8 wheels & 265/75/16 tires for them.After checking & making sure the wheels are rated the same as the tires,which they are(3415).This spring im putting wheels on truck i notice cast into the rear of the wheel a max psi of 60lbs. Okay so i check with where i bought the wheels from & yup thats the max inflation,ummm so now my tires go from 3400lbs of capacity to 2700lbs if left at 60psi plus now the overheating & squish factor.i check back with wheel distributor (several times), only to be told that the load rating is based on vehicle capacity.They sell these wheels for 3/4 & 1 ton trucks,you cannot reach vehicle manufacturer & tire manufactuer recommended psi with these wheels. Now the wheel seller wont answer me anymore,Eagle alloy has not respondef at all,im lost here,i cant use these wheels right ? Any thoughts ? I feel like im going to be in the market for more wheels i guess,im very discouraged here ,am i right,can the wheels fail due to overinflation.?i know tires will fail due to underinflation! Thanks in advance.

SoCalDesertRider

Arizona desert

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/12 06:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, they could fail due to overinflation.

That's a real shame they did not disclose the max pressure rating to you before the sale, especially since you made a point to find out what the max weight rating was, before buying.

Logic would suggest that if a company is making wheels for 3/4-ton and 1-ton trucks, which use 80 psi tires as stock equipment, and is making wheels to match the factory weight rating of the stock wheels for those trucks, that they would also make the wheels with a max pressure rating that matches the stock wheels.

I would make that the point of my discussion with them, when asking for a return authorization and refund of the purchase price. You obviously cannot use the wheels for their intended purpose and what you're trying to do with them is not unusual at all. You are trying to use them in an entirely typical application, which they were supposed to have been designed for.

In the end, your best solution is probably to just find some stock GM 3500SRW 16x7 wheels and use those on your 2500HD. The 3500SRW stock wheels have 3415 @ 80 psi weight/pressure minimum ratings, since GM supplys the 3500SRW trucks with 265/75-16E tires and those wheels, as factory stock equipment. You can get them in both steel and aluminum versions.

You should be able to find a set of near-new condition take-offs from a 3500SRW truck at a descent price. Many 4x4 shops remove them from stock trucks when the customer wants a lift kit and bigger tires and different wheels put on the truck.

That would be my solution to the problem. If I my memory serves me, that was my recommendation about the issue in a discussion about the wheel upgrade, some time ago.

05E350 6.0PSD
97F350DRW 7.3PSD 4x4 4.10 11' flatbed
98Ranger
69Bronco ATC250R CR500
20' BigTex flatbed carhauler
Callen Camper

92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6
B&W TurnoverBall, Curt Magnum V
HD Springs Bilsteins,
285/75-16E BFG AT on 16x8 Stocktons
4.56's & LockRite rear

mapguy

Puget Sound

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/12 09:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

KJM4 wrote:

45Ricochet wrote:

Ahh something isn't adding up here. If that wheel is rated to 3400 lbs it should be rated to 80 PSI. I don't believe there is a 3400 lb rated tire out there that don't require 80 PSI.
Lot's of stuff made in China nowadays so it wouldn't be a surprise. I would certainly keep hounding whoever sold them to you.

There are a lot of tires out there that are 3400 lb rating or greater that have a max pressure of 65 psi. My E rated 35x12.5x17 Toyo MTs are rated at 3640 lbs and have a max pressure of 65 psi.

Flotation Tire in that size not LT. The pressure standards are not as directly related to Load Range, like an LT, in Flotation Tires.

In Flotation Tires it is very important to look at the Tire Capacity number and not the Load Range Letter.

campingcareys

albany,ny

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/10/12 06:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for replies,wheels are made in usa , yup i didnt even give a thought to air psi in wheels, i just assumed- theres the problem, that a wheel sold for 3/4&1ton trucks would be able to support proper air pressure,thanks again,Scott

45Ricochet

North Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/09/12 07:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ahh something isn't adding up here. If that wheel is rated to 3400 lbs it should be rated to 80 PSI. I don't believe there is a 3400 lb rated tire out there that don't require 80 PSI.
Lot's of stuff made in China nowadays so it wouldn't be a surprise. I would certainly keep hounding whoever sold them to you.

06 Ram 3500 CC LB Laramie 4x4 Dually 5.9 Cummins Smarty Jr 48RE Jacobs brake
GVWR 12,200 RAWR 9350
06 Grand Junction 34' High profile 15500 GVWR 3200 pin Mor/ryde 5500 Onan genny Dual A/C Wet bolts
27' Hallett 502, 500HP

KJM4

TEXAS

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/12 08:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

45Ricochet wrote:

There are a lot of tires out there that are 3400 lb rating or greater that have a max pressure of 65 psi. My E rated 35x12.5x17 Toyo MTs are rated at 3640 lbs and have a max pressure of 65 psi.

BenK

SF BayArea

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/12 11:11am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Floatation tires are best with more sidewall bendback, as they are supposed to
be used aired down with even more sidewall bendback than pavement usage

They are still 'LT' class in design metrcs vs 'P' design metrics. Just skewed towards
off roading in an aired down condition

Again, my 33/12.5R15LT load range C (AT tread) are floatation tires with
a max sidewall pressure rating of 35PSI

'P' class tires aired down off roading will get shredded in a hurry

-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

BenK

SF BayArea

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/12 10:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Think you have a case against that dealer, but most likely the
cost vs gain would become negative to you in pursuing it

Your receipt should show both the wheel and tire. The tire should have it's ratings
molded on it's sidewall (weight and PSI).

The wheel has it's ratings on it...mandated by DOT if sold for public road usage

Since the PSI's don't match, the selling dealer is at fault...

I also feel that the sellers get away with this kind of stuff because way too
many buyers don't know enough about what they are purchasing and 'depend' or 'trust'
their dealer...

There are many variations of tires and within their different classes
I have 33/12.5R16LT load range C tires on my 1980 C10 Silverado and
they are a max 35PSI on 15x8 alloys (a bit narrow, but did that on
purpose). They are 'LT' class tires with a load range C. Daughter has
30/9.5R15LT load range C's on her Mazda B2500 (Ford Ranger) on OEM
alloys (can't remember their size).

There is one more component that might be a weak link in this food-chain down
to the pavement...the valve stem. If that dealer was of the kind that would
sell this to you, suspect they might either not know, or care to do the whole
setup right. Valve stems also have PSI ratings....mine on the Sub are 200PSI rated

Agree, look for new wheels and trade/sell the ones you have. Safety is my #1
in all things automotive

Over PSI will crack wheel rims...

Exceeding Rim Recommended Max PSI
BenK wrote:

E Rate Tires

BenK wrote:

falconman wrote:

Just curious, has anyone ever seen or heard of a rim failure from too much pressure? What would it look like?

I used to work as a tire monkey working my way through college. Owner
was a great guy and taught me a ton on automotive & general stuff

An old guy came in one day with a leaky wheel.

I could NOT find the leak on the tire, even after dunking it in the
tire dunk tank. Only the tire was underwater

Boss came over after noticing no success by me.

He took one look at the tire and wheel to say the tire isn't leaking
but the wheel was

That old guy had a 'LT' class tire mounted on a 'P' class wheel.

The higher PSI fatigues the wheel rim to crack the rim at the transition
between the wheel and rim bead area.

It is a cantilevered loading on the wheel rim. For those who don't know
what a cantilevered beam load is...think of a tree trunk and one branch
or limb sticking out

That is a cantilevered beam load. Fastened only at one end and forces
or loading on the rest of that beam (branch or limb)

These images shows the rim edge to wheel itself and how it is cantilevered

Can you now see where the tire bead pushes out against the wheel
rim as a cantilevered load/force? They crack right at that junction

The difference between my tree example is that with a wheel, the rim
is 360* whereas the tree is a point. Think of a tree limb that goes
completely around the tree

Boss then took a pair of pliers and snapped that rim edge off easily

Said whoever sold him that tire didn't know what they were doing and
if he (that customer) wanted to, my boss would write a letter stating
that so the customer would have a case against that other dealer

Old guy said out of town and that dealer out of business long ago (no
surprised after seeing or understanding what the heck what they did)

JIMNLIN wrote:

Ben's pics are right on. Every steel trailer wheel I've split from too much pressure, came at the wheels bead seat flange. Generally aluminum wheels that I saw anyway, were crack in the valleys. In all cases these were wheels carrying close to max capacity.

SoCalDesertRider

Arizona desert

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/12 09:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mapguy wrote:

KJM4 wrote:

45Ricochet wrote:

Flotation Tire in that size not LT. The pressure standards are not as directly related to Load Range, like an LT, in Flotation Tires.

In Flotation Tires it is very important to look at the Tire Capacity number and not the Load Range Letter.
Actually, they are LT tires, they're just not normally E load range rated. They're usually D load range. Although, there are some 65 psi E-range LT tires out there.

In any case, his 60 psi wheels don't even meet the low 65 psi limit of those tires.

mapguy

Puget Sound

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/12 10:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SoCalDesertRider wrote:

mapguy wrote:

KJM4 wrote:

45Ricochet wrote:

Actually, they are LT tires, they're just not normally E load range rated. They're usually D load range. Although, there are some 65 psi E-range LT tires out there.

In any case, his 60 psi wheels don't even meet the low 65 psi limit of those tires.

Agree the bottom line is the OP's lack of pressure rating.

Don't agree with your anology on sizing. Flotation tires by standard don't have to follow LT class Load Range criteria. Yes, there are some domestic and offshore tire producers that don't follow the standards fully....

OP should be discussing his issue with the selling dealer. Selling dealer is on the hook if tires rated for a higher PSI were installed knowingly.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> New wheels,need some advice,please
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS