RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Ok, how do I get the TC on a trailer.

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Ok, how do I get the TC on a trailer.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
we3

Birnamwood Wi.

View Profile

Posted: 04/13/12 04:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Peg Leg wrote:

Get a couple of 1 1/4" or 1 1/2" Schedule 40 PVC pipes cut them in half so you end up with 4 pieces 5' long. Back the trailer under the front of the camper and lower it onto the pipe. Strap the camper to the trailer so it won't roll off the trailer. Raise and store the front jack and back up a couple of feet and add another pipe between the trailer and camper. Repeat until all jacks are removed. You can now push the camper into position by moving the pipe to the front of the camper after it has been rolled out the back. Once in position raise with jacks just enough to remove the pipes and then lower it back down.

I recommend a couple of extra sets of eyes, preferably attached to some weak minds and strong backs.

PVC is used to move storage sheds around on lawns. A couple a pry bars (2x4's) and they can put one any where you want.

If you use this method make sure you are on level ground and have holdbacks front and rear while moving.

Pete_k

Stantonville Tn

View Profile

Posted: 04/13/12 05:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My trailer like your talking about would allow me to set it on there with my jacks same as the truck. But only by 1/2" or so.
If it were me jack the camper up, Then using 6 2x8's made into a beam (3 for each one) Use timbers to build this up. That or find someone with a crane and set it that way.
But like the ideal of sitting it on the trailer then pulling it forward best. Seen 5 different T/C's last year on trailers. Still had the jacks on all of them.

2005 Chevy Kodiak c5500 Cummins 5.9/Allison Trans
2012 Landmark Key Largo
2008 Lund 1825 Pro Guide Tiller, With a Evinrude 90 HP E-Tec
Live near Pickwick Dam and the Tn river

JoeChiOhki

Sauvie Island, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/13/12 07:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And still by the time all the jumping through hoops getting this camper onto and off the trailer is going to take, you could have loaded up the camper onto the truck and likely driven to your destination.

If you think magically you're going to get better fuel economy by towing the camper on a trailer behind a half-ton SUV powered by, at best, a 5.4L trition V8, vs carrying it on the back of your truck, you're in for a bit of a reality shock.

My Blog - The Journey of the Redneck Express
CB Channel 17 Redneck Express
'1992 Dodge W-250 "Dually" Power Wagon - Club Cab Long Bed 4x4 V8 5.9L gashog w/4.10 Geared axles
'1974 KIT Kamper 1106 - 11' Slide-in
'2006 Heartland BigHorn 3400RL

BobsYourUncle

Surrey, BC Canada

View Profile

Posted: 04/13/12 10:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2 - 12 foot fir 6X6's and 4 - 45 gallon drums, and some criss-crossed 2X4's screwed together to add height to the drums.

Thats how I load and offload my rack and toolboxes as a unit. See sig pic.

And I put my rack and boxes onto a trailer in the same fashion.

2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ
Duramax / Allison
Fire Red

1997 Triple E Topaz 27' Bunkhouse TT

81 Citation 25' "Tail dragger" "Under construction"

"Workin' man's rig"

Bob's Trucks

Check Out My Rebuild Project

Project Feedback

RichandLiz

Connecticut

View Profile

Posted: 04/14/12 03:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I did not read through all posts so sorry if any repeat.

Idea 1:
Is the deck of the trailer wide enough for using the current TC jacks? If so, jack up camper to a height above trailer. Run supports under the TC (L-R) to blocks, barrels, jacks....on each side wider than the trailer with TC jacks raised high enough or removed to clear the trailer deck / wheel wells. Place trailer under the TC. Reinstall / raise jacks on the deck or blocks along side the trailer and remove temporary supports. Lower jacks until the TC base sits on the trailer. Grab a cold one!

Idea 2:
Buy LOTS of beer and pizza and invite everyone you know to grab a piece of TC and lift. Watch the toes as you back up!

Halltrail

maryland

View Profile

Posted: 04/14/12 06:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You guys are great...lots of ideas to ponder. Ill take some pics and measurements. Im not looking at all for mpg savings. Just the option to use either the f350 or expy based on the needs for the trip. I love the 94 f350...but the wife not so much. I love having the expedition as well. If I have an issue with the f350 I have the option to use the expedition to tow my jeep and trailer.

1994 F350 crew cab, Dually, turbo idi 7.3l, auto, Hypermax cowl, 3" downpipe and exhaust, 4.10 gears, airbags, rancho xl9000 shocks, E rated 235/85 r16 tires.

1999 Lance 810 extended cab, A/C and winter package.

SoCalDesertRider

Arizona desert

View Profile

Posted: 04/14/12 08:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Halltrail wrote:

...I love the 94 f350...but the wife not so much.
I like my trucks more than my ex too! . LOL

05E350 6.0PSD
97F350DRW 7.3PSD 4x4 4.10 11' flatbed
98Ranger
69Bronco ATC250R CR500
20' BigTex flatbed carhauler
Callen Camper

92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6
B&W TurnoverBall, Curt Magnum V
HD Springs Bilsteins,
285/75-16E BFG AT on 16x8 Stocktons
4.56's & LockRite rear

Halltrail

maryland

View Profile

Posted: 04/14/12 08:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Haha ... Gotcha!

rehoppe

Denver & Nathrop Colo or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 04/14/12 08:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In regards to the roller ideas. There used to be a roll on/roll off system for TCs. I've only ever seen a couple of them, however. They used a tongue and socket in the front of the bed as hold down and stabilizer, with tracks and rollers installed in the bed of the truck. It had a latch arrangement in the rear to do the same.

They didn't seem to catch on, and I've not heard of such a system for quite a few years now, but they supposedly worked well.

Hoppe
2011 Dodge 1500 C'boy Caddy
2000 Jayco C 28' Ford chassis w V-10 E450
Doghouse 36' or so Trophy Classic TT

ardis8500

Goose Creek, SC

View Profile

Posted: 04/14/12 09:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I offload our TC onto my 16' flat bed, I have the TC on the truck and the trailer connected. I jack the camper up and pull the trailer under it and drop it down on the front of it. I had to make an extended bracket for the rear jack (I only have (3) of the reico titan jacks) so it would clear the fender. If your bed of your trailer can clear between the jacks and since your trailer is longer, your jacks may not go back that far. If it does and you cant move the jack, I have seen others remove the rear jacks and lower the rear portion down onto a rolling floor jack or moving dollies and pull the trailer forward the remainder then drop it down. I use the same tie downs, just to the frame of the trailer. I had a thread similar with pictures but it was about tc storage ideas and I can't find it or else I would show the link.

Good luck.

2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 HD LT, 2WD, 6.0L
Home-made belly bar up front and Tork-Lifts in the rear
2nd Hand Happijac spring loaded turnbuckles.
1996 Palomino Bronco B-1200 Pop-Up TC
1976 Jeep CJ-7 - usually on trailer behind truck.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Ok, how do I get the TC on a trailer.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS