|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Getting out the door

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev
Sponsored By:
stetwood

Wisconsin

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/22/12 08:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Using small "totes" to transfer items is helpful, one person fills and the other "totes". Also they will hold dirty clothes to "tote" back in. When laundry is washed at home "the totes" go back to the rv. Next trip only food and the special items need to be "toted" to the rv. We have 4 "totes", 3 go under the bed and the other into the belly.

Bama bluejay

Alabama

View Profile

Posted: 04/22/12 12:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I get everything packed and ready in a very short time. DH is the slow poke. This happens just about every time. He decides at the last minute to do a quick wash job on the truck. His vehicle has to be showroom ready. I do a check. make a list of things I have robbed for the house. Things like toilet paper, paper towels, ect. Food and clothing is mainly what I have to pack. Fully stocked with things that can be left in, makes the process much faster.

vermont_blue

Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/22/12 10:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jims1 wrote:

The OP didn't say if the camper was kept at home or not.
If they keep it in storage, they may not feel comfortable leaving it stocked.

We keep it in storage three miles from our home. We don't leave food in the trailer because I worry about mice. We just, for example, got back from camping this weekend and the bed sheets, towels and a few rags etc are being washed and put back into the trailer. I'll prep tomorrow as much as possible to keep our next outings (May 4th)prep time to a minimum.

I appreciate all the ideas and am glad to know I'm not the only one running back and forth from the house to the trailer, over and over. I agree that it's important to not pack too much. Tonight after we got home I removed a few things from the trailer. I removed; a tarp (never rains in Colorado), a back up lantern, bug zapper (haven't used it once), extension cord (only need one), two decks of cards, four pack of toilet paper, 10' (second half) piece of stinky slinky, and a shovel. I'm going to try to do more with less and this is my first step.

Thanks for the feedback.

jims1

tx

View Profile

Posted: 04/22/12 04:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The OP didn't say if the camper was kept at home or not.
If they keep it in storage, they may not feel comfortable leaving it stocked.

It takes time and money- even doing yardsales- to buy the second set of kitchen surplies.

We got home today around 2:30-3:00 from a short getaway, it will be ready to go again shortly.

'06 Ram with a Cummins
'09 36MAX1 Carrilite
Me, Alie, and Salie
Fulltiming

porkchop1221

US

View Profile

Posted: 04/22/12 02:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What size totes do people prefer? I will be getting a 35 foot 5er and I'm getting ready to pick I up and love reading all these tips. Should I get a few medium size ones and one or two big ones for the basement?

Thanks!

2012 GMC 3500HD, Diesel, Crew Cab Standard Bed, SRW
2013 Cyclone 3010

Toys:
Ducati 749R
Aprillia RSV4

CincyGus

Cincinnati

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/22/12 05:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

porkchop1221 wrote:

What size totes do people prefer? I will be getting a 35 foot 5er and I'm getting ready to pick I up and love reading all these tips. Should I get a few medium size ones and one or two big ones for the basement?

Thanks!

Really just depends on what you are putting in it and what your storage area's size is. I found some long flat storage totes like you would put winter clothes in and slide under the bed for the front passthrough storage area. They are the perfect height and width to fit three tall and take up exactly one half of the width and one half of the length of the front storage area. One is plumbing (sewer hoses and fittings), one is electrical (30 and 20 amp Extension cords and adapters) and one has my tacky lights.

Inside, I found some that stack that are perfect for putting in the wardrobe closets that give me 3 drawers to seporate my socks and underwear, t-shirts and shorts. They sit deep enough in the closet that I still have room to hang a couple pair of pants and shirts along with a jacket on the clothes rod.

Get the measurements of the places you might store them (Closets, cupboards, under bed storage, under dinette benchs, pass through storage) and then head to the local walmart, target or such store. Take your measurements and a tape measurer with you and build the picture in your head on what will fit where to get the most bang for your buck of the storage you have.

I really like the "Sterlite" brand as they seem to make a wide variety and many are stackable. plus they are clear so you can see whats in them.

2011 Silverado Crewcab 4x4
2012 Passport 238ML

Hope your travels are safe and the friendships made camping are lasting.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Getting out the door
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS