RV.Net Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Walmart overnighting yes or no?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Walmart overnighting yes or no?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev
Sponsored By:
ricatic

Home

View Profile

Posted: 04/22/12 05:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LarryJM wrote:

I won't repsond to any specific posts and I'm a little surprised of those that might think are harsh and/or personal comments in my above posts. I was only hoping to make folks consider some of their past decisions which are mostly limited and expressed in these WM threads.

Also I find it interesting that folks seem to have missed that I including a lot of qualifiers/caveats in my posts ...

1st post: "I know personally", "I highly doubt", and "IMO"

2nd post: "I personally think", "What I woiuld call", and "sense to
me"

3rd post: "best answers I have seen, but with the caveats I posted in my post above'

4th post: "sorry I think", and the two "IMOs"

5th post: "probably pushing beyond what IMO", "My suggestion" and finally "Sorry, but I think I'm about done and if all my rants aren't deleted please excuse my indulgence here on this subject."

FWIW

From Webster's
Rant -
Quote:

1: to talk in a noisy, excited, or declamatory manner
2: to scold vehemently

neither of which I feel I did w/o appropriate qualifers/caveats.

It's obviously up to each individual, but even professional drivers must obey strict driving times with manatory "down times" with stirct federally mandated limits HERE and HERE and hope folks would take these into consideration. As non professional drivers, with rigs probably requiring more attention to detail I think even those limits are too generous for us, but that again as all other posts here are just our personal opinions.

Here are the basic limits as I read them

Quote:

May drive a maximum of 11 hours after 10 consecutive hours off duty.

and

Quote:

May not drive beyond the 14th consecutive hour after coming on duty, following 10 consecutive hours off duty. Off-duty time does not extend the 14-hour period.

Larry

wow...more pompous commentary..,

after dozens of DOT safety meetings, over 2 million miles of commercial and OTR driving experience under both the 10 hour and 11 hour driving day regulations and a 10 year stint as a CDL trainer, I believe I know a bit about driving...trucks for hire and my RV...but thanks anyway...

Regards

Ricatic
Debbie and Savannah the Wonderdachsund
2009 Big Horn 3055RL
2006 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 Dually LTX with the Gold Standard LBZ Engine and Allison Transmission
2011 F350 Lariat SRW CC SB 4WD 6.7 Diesel POS Gone Bye Bye

jsikora

West Monroe, New York

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/22/12 06:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rockhound007 wrote:

just thought I would ask the question, I am looking at stopping overnight with my family overnight in Cortland, NY at the Walmart. I know lots of people do this but is it safe? Will Walmart bother us or kick us out?
Thanks

Not sure where you are coming/going but the Central Square NY campground (about 50 miles north) allows over nights...although sooner in the day the better as last night there were about 15 in the lot....

2006 Fleetwood Wilderness 5th Wheel
2010 F-350 PSD Lariet CC 4X4

LarryJM

NoVa

View Profile

Posted: 04/22/12 06:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Salty Dog wrote:

Amazing that several folks feel the need to highjack threads to spread their personal propaganda. Check back to the OP's question - they asked if overnighting at WalMart is safe and if WalMart allows it. Since then, this thread has deteriorated into a WalMart bash and lectures on the amount of time every individual needs for sleep and the time they should be allowed to drive.

Guilty as charged and I even apologized for doing what I did, but these are the types of threads where I see the "too tired to drive any longer", "till I'm wore out", "can't drive any longer", etc. and even mentioned that in one of my posts as to why I was posting in this thread. Very seldom do I post in these WM threads and consistently see posters some of who have probably posted here and critized me for basically making what could be considered "hijacking" off topic type posts.

Be careful about what you live in and decide to "throw stones" and be careful about critizing someone that is defending what can only be IMO considered a personal attack which is against the forum rules anyway.

I think this is my last post here and the subject was fairly well covered, before I made my first post anyway.

Larry

* This post was edited 04/22/12 08:48pm by LarryJM *

2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

Gale Hawkins

Murray, KY

View Profile

Posted: 04/22/12 09:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lack of safety has never been a concern of mine so far at WM. It was in Yellowstone NP CG where I had the most concern due to the law being required when two campers when at it plus the bath rooms were hard to stand even as a guy.

WM does not offer showers but one can manage a sponge bath OK, brush teeth, etc. So far they all have been cleaned, open and secure 24/7. This is a huge plus for us without heated black and gray tanks for winter travels.

WM rent a cops have always been helpful in getting us parked and evening doing a pass down to the second shift since we have kids. We have had a few questionable CG experiences but not one so far at this time at WM.

I think the high level satifaction of overnighting RV'ers is key to them attracting repeating overnighting customers. WM out does the RV/CG stores too in selection and price.

We live out of WM when home so why not when traveling. We did the same last week when traveling by car to FL to attend an industry tradeshow. Being the typical guest hotel the rooms were about $250 per night with show discounts and a Coke out of the stocked frig was $5 per can and there was no kitchen or microwave.

The kids decided after looking at a couple of the hotel eating options to go to WM at 11 PM where we bought the $49 700 watt microwave and a stock of foods like we carry in the MH. In three days we more than paid for the microwave.

Had I got too tired to keep driving the 13.5 hours it took me to drive the 844 mile trip nonstop home I might would have grabbed a few hours of sleep at a WM because I deem them safer than a rest area.

We selected the 700 watt microwave so we can use it with our 800 watt Harbor Freight $99 800 watt generator if that was all we had to power the MH at some point in time.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Walmart overnighting yes or no?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS