RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: IBM's new battery -- comparable to gasoline

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> IBM's new battery -- comparable to gasoline

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
mlts22

Austin, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 04/20/12 12:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Link here

This definitely isn't something for prime time yet. It may be near gasoline by weight, but what is needed is by volume, where the battery, with all its safety devices and case, are near what that equivalent of fuel would be, or even within an order of magnitude.

If this can be scaled to work in vehicles, and if it can get enough air to "breathe" while discharging, this would change RV-ing in a lot of fundamental ways:

1: Shore power would be more useful, as one could completely charge a rig before boondocking. A couple nights at a CG would give enough charge for a week of dry camping.

2: Solar and wind towers would become immensely more useful. One would not need to worry about fuel if the solar system were large enough.

3: People would be able to choose their fuel source when not on shore power, and the generator would be used at its max effectiveness.

4: When plugged into a S&B house, normally the RV could just trickle charge, but in case of a power failure, the RV would double as a large UPS, keeping power in the house going, perhaps for days.

5: Most of the annoying RV appliance issues would go away. Compression refrigerators are very reliable and don't need to be level. Electric heaters are highly efficient, both furnaces and water heaters. Electric stoves can be placed on flat countertops making more room in the kitchen when not cooking.

6: New advances would be easy for more RV-friendly electrical appliances. RV makers could build in heat strips in the plumbing and tanks, so those stay above freezing without worry about using propane. A hot water recirculator could be built to keep a small amount of water flowing back into the FW tank preventing freezing in extremely cold temperatures.

I'm hoping this battery IBM develops pans out -- it would help a lot with boondocking.

mena661

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 04/20/12 01:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This would be awesome. I read about this at another website. Seems promising.

2009 Newmar Canyon Star 3205, Ford F53 V10
Trojan L16 6V's 740 Amp-hours

RVUSA

Orlando, FL, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/13/12 01:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great, I'll be able to hear my neighbors generator even better now.

fla-gypsy

North Florida

View Profile

Posted: 04/20/12 05:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Very interesting technology. I hope it works out.

This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 05/13/12 12:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

the energy density in watts/lb compares favorably to gasoline. However, the energy density in watts/cuft is way less than gasoline or propane. In other words, it takes lots more space for the same amount of energy storage. That said, I suspect the energy density in watts/cuft is WAY WAY higher than a conventional lead acid flooded cell, so it is attractive in that way.

I'll bet the first application is going to be hearing aid batteries. They already have zinc/air batteries for hearing aids with pretty high energy weight density. This would be a natural.

2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison

mr300ce

Mojave Desert, Ca

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/13/12 02:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Too late for me, but you youngsters might benefit someday.

Fulltime livin' & lovin' it in '94 Bounder 32h.
Chevy 454ci Retire in 3yrs.

Rvpapa

Alberta , Can.

View Profile

Posted: 05/13/12 10:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mexbungalows
Had to smile at your recall. We always knew of that lever with the curved point as a "church key" and I still use my Simson 270, way better than digital
Art.

smkettner

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/13/12 11:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not sure how they compare energy density as when you burn gas only 1/3 becomes mechanical energy, 1/3 heat to the radiator, 1/3 heat out the exhaust. (roughly)

Li-air with same density should be able to convert close to 80% into mechanical energy as it produces primarily electricity.... or does it produce a bunch of heat as the Li burns?

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675 watts solar
Send a PM if I missed something

MEXICOWANDERER

las peƱas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 05/13/12 10:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Anything to keep Pb in the ground where it mostly belongs! I happen to like fuel cell technology for recharging. If there were only a cheap environmentally responsible way to manufacture, store and transport liquid hydrogen.

It's coming, believe me.

I come from the era of adding machines, typewriters, phonographs, and meters that used mirrored faces to reduce parallax error. Beer in tinned steel cans needed a lever with a curved point on the end to open the can. Stick a nickel in a pay phone and then jam the coin return with your palm to save 5 cents on a call.

Lead acid is obsolete as am I.

Glad to see lead go away but I'm not so sure about me :-)

mena661

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 05/13/12 10:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mexbungalows wrote:

Glad to see lead go away but I'm not so sure about me :-)
Well, as far as I'm concerned you haven't been authorized to go on "liberty".

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> IBM's new battery -- comparable to gasoline
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS