|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Do It Yourself Modifications a...

Open Roads Forum  >  Do It Yourself Modifications and Upgrades (DIY)

> Tips on installing power front tongue jack on TT

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
linnemj

Northern Mississippi

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/22/12 07:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just got my Barker power front tongue jack yesterday and will install it this week.

My batteries are housed in a locked compartment on the front side of my V nose trailer. What ideas do you have to run the positive power wire into that area?

Any other tips would be appreciated!

Jim & Nicky
2012 Forest River XLR MBV 29
2010 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel
Motorcycles!

Thomas/NH

Exeter, NH

View Profile

Posted: 04/22/12 07:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was looking at jacks on eBay the other day and saw one that had a coiled cord with a 7 pin plug on it. It was meant to go in a utility trailer where they don't have batteries. Does this give you any ideas?

Smax

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/22/12 07:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Get a rubber firewall grommet at your local parts store.

Drill the box and run the wires through the grommet, put in place.

I don't have that type of setup, but that's how I would do it.

I just put one on my trailer (2nd one). I installed it turned towards the driverside. Sticks out less and does not interfere with the tailgate when open.

Max

2010 Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison Crew
2000 25' Sunnybrook
2010 Honda SH150

4x4Bob

California.

View Profile

Posted: 04/22/12 12:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have installed several Barker Jacks for my self and friends. I have found very often that the lower mount plate for the jack will have a smaller hole then the top plate.
When that happened, I used my Dremel tool with a round grind stone to hone out the hole. Will just take a little so test often. Also, be sure to wear eye protection because you will have to look down at the work site.
After it fits, and before you install, spray some black paint on the work area to stop rust.

Bob

2001 2500 Silverado LS 4x4 6.0, 4.10
2007 Jayco Eagle 288RLS
Cocktails for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2
--------------------
End of dirt road, no signs in sight, sun going down: I am not lost, just getting ready to go camping.

linnemj

Northern Mississippi

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/22/12 05:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thomas/NH wrote:

I was looking at jacks on eBay the other day and saw one that had a coiled cord with a 7 pin plug on it. It was meant to go in a utility trailer where they don't have batteries. Does this give you any ideas?

The Barker that I bought has it's power supplies by the trailer's deep cell battery. The issue I have is the batteries are in a sealed compartment that has a plastic liner. What is the best way to run the positive line into that compartment?

CincyGus

Cincinnati

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/22/12 05:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your going to have to drill through the wall or the floor so really all depends what will look best for you. If it were me (without looking at your exact trailer) I would be more likely to route the wire along the frame of the trailer to which ever side the batteries were on and drill through the floor on that side. A little silicone or rubber grommet to protect the wire from rubbing the insulation off and your all set.

2011 Silverado Crewcab 4x4
2012 Passport 238ML

Hope your travels are safe and the friendships made camping are lasting.

boosTT

Milwaukee

View Profile

Posted: 04/23/12 05:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tap into the 7 way connector wires (they run to the battery). Seal it back up with heat shrink.

ExRocketScientist

Laurel, MD

View Profile

Posted: 04/25/12 06:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't have my batteries on the tongue. They are in the underbelly, so running the wire to them last night was out of the question. But when I installed the batteries, I discovered the wires out on the tongue normally used for the battery connection went onto the backside of the front frame member that runs crosswise of the main frame rails. There it was attached to a 50 amp breaker. They had another breaker there for the + wire from the 7 pin for charging the battery from the TV. So I just hooked the wire for my jack to the 50 amp breaker so it was drawing power through the breaker. The nice thing was the wire was exactly the correct length!

ERS

christopherglenn

Near Yosemite

View Profile

Posted: 04/25/12 06:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Does the power pigtail from the truck connect to a junction box on the front of the trailer? That is where I powered mine from.

2007 Chevrolet 3500 CC/LB Duramax/Dually 4X4 Mine r4tech, Reese Signature Series 18k +slider, duratrac, Titan 62 gallon, diamond eye, Cheetah 64
2011 Keystone Fusion 405 TrailAir & Triglide, Centerpoint, gen-turi, 3 PVX-840T, XANTREX FREEDOM SW3012, G614

ExRocketScientist

Laurel, MD

View Profile

Posted: 04/25/12 09:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

christopherglenn wrote:

Does the power pigtail from the truck connect to a junction box on the front of the trailer? That is where I powered mine from.

That is where I found the breaker mentioned above. Makes for a clean install.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Do It Yourself Modifications and Upgrades (DIY)

> Tips on installing power front tongue jack on TT
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Do It Yourself Modifications a...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS