|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Okay, I was wrong....bought a dually

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 14  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
3 tons

CA.

View Profile

Posted: 04/26/12 10:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"3 tons, you need to look up the definition of opinions and facts; they are two very different things".

Hi Brad, I'm sure that you might agree that opinions and facts are often in the eye of the beholder (as is honesty)...So perhaps you might also weigh-in with a companion list on the positives of a dually, this strictly with regards to hauling heavy-weight and high COG TC's. In this way, the novice in the audience might be better equipped to make an objective, honest judgement at his/her next truck aquisition.

Thanks,

3 tons

BradW

Mayor of Flat Rock

View Profile

Posted: 04/26/12 11:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

3 tons wrote:

.......opinions and facts are often in the eye of the beholder.........

3 tons, you really shouldn't have let that dictionary go at the yard sale.

Brad

Wake Up America
1996 Lance 500 and 2006 F-350 PSD 4X4 DRW
Our Truck Camper Photos

3 tons

CA.

View Profile

Posted: 04/26/12 11:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Got it! (request for objectivity declined...)

3 tons

BradW

Mayor of Flat Rock

View Profile

Posted: 04/26/12 03:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

seraphim wrote:

So what's the point? Mostly, my answer to your claims are, "yep. So what? Doesn't bother me.".

World to seraphim: It ain't all about you.

Brad

NorthernLimits

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 04/26/12 09:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

3 tons wrote:

"3 tons, you need to look up the definition of opinions and facts; they are two very different things".

Hi Brad, I'm sure that you might agree that opinions and facts are often in the eye of the beholder (as is honesty)...So perhaps you might also weigh-in with a companion list on the positives of a dually, this strictly with regards to hauling heavy-weight and high COG TC's. In this way, the novice in the audience might be better equipped to make an objective, honest judgement at his/her next truck aquisition.

Thanks,

3 tons

Well, he wouldn't want to do that, everyone knows a dually is totally pointless, sucky, ugly, and generally worthless.

NorthernLimits

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 04/26/12 10:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1) Initial cost - drw truck is more expensive than an srw
A SRW truck is more expensive then a Sedan. What's the point? There are more parts. More stuff costs more.
2) Fuel mileage - drw trucks get less mpg than srw trucks
Not in my experience. My f350 SRW with the 7.3 for the same mileage as my current f350 DRW with the same mods.
3) Beaches - drw trucks are not allowed on some beaches
Ok, give you that one, but I would venture to guess that there are more truck owners that will never have the occasion to drive on a beach than there are owners that will. Here, no one can drive on the beach. I have yet to run into a beach that allows driving that didn't allow DRW. Why wouldn't they be allowed?
4) Home - drw trucks cannot be parked overnight in some neighborhoods
Wut? Never in all my years heard that. But then again, I don't live in New York. Sometimes where you live screws you over.
5) Garage - drw trucks will not fit through some garage doors
A woman buys a kitchen, a man buys a garage. Buy what you need. You don't buy a house with 1 bedroom if you need 3. Unless the garage is super old, a dually will fit in a standard garage.
6) Air - more tires to air up / air down
Yep. How often do you air up and down? How much extra time is that? Maybe 3 extra minutes?
7) Lights - more light bulbs to burn out
Really? That makes the negative list? I guess no one should buy a truck with cab lights or fog lights. Heck, don't get a camper, there are more light bulbs.
8) Rocks - rocks may get stuck between the tires
Ok, but how often? I have had one in 128,000 miles.
9) Jack clearance - drw trucks require swing-out jack brackets
And you need a spacer under the camper to clear the cabs on newer trucks. I guess no one should buy a new truck either.
10) Ride - drw trucks ride rougher than srw trucks
Not in my experience. Springs and shocks are the same.
11) Fenders - drw rear fenders can easily be damaged by rocks
Where are these rocks coming from? 128k on mine and no magic rock has ever jumped out from the front tire, curved around the running boards and smashed my fender. Must be the kids. Dang kids.
12) Snow - snow can build up between rear tires
Might be right there, although I would question how much snow gets stuck between tires in Alabama. But then again, start driving and the snow gets slung out. It's not like it gets packed in there and sticks.
13) Replacement cost - more tires to replace
Yes, given.
14) Rotation - difficult to nearly impossible to properly rotate tires
Drop it off at the shop, like magic they are rotated. It's not impossible. I do my own, but I have the machine.
15) PSI - much more difficult to check the tire pressure on a drw
16) Flats - more difficult to change a rear flat on a drw truck
Same number of lugs. You have to lift one extra tire off. Not all that much more difficult. If someone calls that really difficult, then they should call road service.
17) Flats - more difficult to know when you have a rear flat on a drw
Yes for sure. One of my gripes. Had to get a TPMS. But also, when one goes flat, you can still drive it off the highway to get to a safe place to change it.
18) Vision - can't see my bassboat when towing
19) Vibration - more difficult to keep 6 tires round and balanced
How? Balance them and they are done. It's not like there is anything you have to do between balance sessions to make sure a DRW is balanced that you don't have to do on a SRW.
20) Self-esteem - duallys are ugly
Personal opinion.
21) Width - drw trucks can't fit through my local ATM drive through
I have been through ATM's with mine in a dozen states. The wife even goes through them. But I can see a point there. I find it silly to buy an inferior truck just to make it fit through a ATM though.
22) Walmart - drw trucks can't park within a half mile of the entrance
That's a positive. No cart dings, no door dings. Only sucks when raining.
23) Offroad - offroad use limited
Any full size truck has off road limitations. They aren't off road vehicles, not wheelin machines, they are trucks for hauling stuff.

wnjj

Cornelius, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 04/26/12 11:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NorthernLimits wrote:

1) Initial cost - drw truck is more expensive than an srw
A SRW truck is more expensive then a Sedan. What's the point? There are more parts. More stuff costs more.

The point was that it costs more.

2) Fuel mileage - drw trucks get less mpg than srw trucks
Not in my experience. My f350 SRW with the 7.3 for the same mileage as my current f350 DRW with the same mods.
3) Beaches - drw trucks are not allowed on some beaches
Ok, give you that one, but I would venture to guess that there are more truck owners that will never have the occasion to drive on a beach than there are owners that will. Here, no one can drive on the beach. I have yet to run into a beach that allows driving that didn't allow DRW. Why wouldn't they be allowed?

anecdotal: Whether you've run into one doesn't change the fact for others.

4) Home - drw trucks cannot be parked overnight in some neighborhoods
Wut? Never in all my years heard that. But then again, I don't live in New York. Sometimes where you live screws you over.

Same as #3.

5) Garage - drw trucks will not fit through some garage doors
A woman buys a kitchen, a man buys a garage. Buy what you need. You don't buy a house with 1 bedroom if you need 3. Unless the garage is super old, a dually will fit in a standard garage.

Doesn't change the fact. Changing houses to accommodate is a downside.

6) Air - more tires to air up / air down
Yep. How often do you air up and down? How much extra time is that? Maybe 3 extra minutes?

3 minutes is more than 0.

7) Lights - more light bulbs to burn out
Really? That makes the negative list? I guess no one should buy a truck with cab lights or fog lights. Heck, don't get a camper, there are more light bulbs.

A dually with a camper has more lights than a SRW with one.

8) Rocks - rocks may get stuck between the tires
Ok, but how often? I have had one in 128,000 miles.

One is still more than none or ever having to check for them.

9) Jack clearance - drw trucks require swing-out jack brackets
And you need a spacer under the camper to clear the cabs on newer trucks. I guess no one should buy a new truck either.

Brackets add cost.

10) Ride - drw trucks ride rougher than srw trucks
Not in my experience. Springs and shocks are the same.
11) Fenders - drw rear fenders can easily be damaged by rocks
Where are these rocks coming from? 128k on mine and no magic rock has ever jumped out from the front tire, curved around the running boards and smashed my fender. Must be the kids. Dang kids.
12) Snow - snow can build up between rear tires
Might be right there, although I would question how much snow gets stuck between tires in Alabama. But then again, start driving and the snow gets slung out. It's not like it gets packed in there and sticks.
13) Replacement cost - more tires to replace
Yes, given.
14) Rotation - difficult to nearly impossible to properly rotate tires
Drop it off at the shop, like magic they are rotated. It's not impossible. I do my own, but I have the machine.

With many aftermarket wheels you can't swap from inner to outer because only one side is finished. That is one measure of "difficult."

15) PSI - much more difficult to check the tire pressure on a drw
16) Flats - more difficult to change a rear flat on a drw truck
Same number of lugs. You have to lift one extra tire off. Not all that much more difficult. If someone calls that really difficult, then they should call road service.
17) Flats - more difficult to know when you have a rear flat on a drw
Yes for sure. One of my gripes. Had to get a TPMS. But also, when one goes flat, you can still drive it off the highway to get to a safe place to change it.
18) Vision - can't see my bassboat when towing
19) Vibration - more difficult to keep 6 tires round and balanced
How? Balance them and they are done. It's not like there is anything you have to do between balance sessions to make sure a DRW is balanced that you don't have to do on a SRW.

Simple math here. 6 tires are 1.5x more likely to throw a wheel weight and go out of balance than 4. It also may be harder to tell if it's the inner or outer one that's out.

20) Self-esteem - duallys are ugly
Personal opinion.
21) Width - drw trucks can't fit through my local ATM drive through
I have been through ATM's with mine in a dozen states. The wife even goes through them. But I can see a point there. I find it silly to buy an inferior truck just to make it fit through a ATM though.
22) Walmart - drw trucks can't park within a half mile of the entrance
That's a positive. No cart dings, no door dings. Only sucks when raining.

If it "sucks when raining", how is that a positive?

23) Offroad - offroad use limited
Any full size truck has off road limitations. They aren't off road vehicles, not wheelin machines, they are trucks for hauling stuff.

They aren't for offroading but plenty are driven there. A SRW has the advantage.

I for one pointed out that many of the things on the "list" are nitpicks but that doesn't make them non-existent. At least with a list like this anyone can make the same choices about whether that matters to them before automatically buying a dually.

The Mad Norsky

Yankton, South Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 04/27/12 01:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

#24). Dually's are an aphrodisiac.

One look at that wide rear stance and I immediately think of the wife.

The Mad Norsky, Doll, Logan, Korey & Rocky
2011 Ford F350 Power Stroke dually
2008 SnowRiver 10-8 D/S Torklift, FastGuns, StableLoads
RV'ing since 1991

I took the road less traveled .....Now I'm Lost!

BradW

Mayor of Flat Rock

View Profile

Posted: 04/27/12 04:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Only been 4 wheelin' once with a dually. This guy from Georgia showed up with a nice lookin' Dodge Cummins DRW long bed (reg cabin - I think). We tried to talk him out of going, but he would have none of it. By the end of the day, he had converted his drw fenders into srw fenders with the assistance of a limestone rock outcropping and a big red oak.

He also busted out a headlight, destroyed the sheetmetal around the headlight, destroyed his grill, busted his radiator and had fluid leaking out of his tranny by the end of the day. All in all, I was impressed that he did complete the same trails we did in that dually; even if it did cost him several thousand dollars in truck repairs to do so. Never underestimate the tenacity of a Georgian.

Brad

KKELLER14K

BEAVERTON OREGON

View Profile

Posted: 04/27/12 11:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Did anyone say if it was a gasser or a diesel? That too can be another consideration but the rig looks great...you'll never go back.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 14  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Okay, I was wrong....bought a dually
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS