|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Spare tire

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Ivylog

Blairsville, GA and WPB, FL.

View Profile

Posted: 04/25/12 02:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your 2000 tradeswind probably does not have a tire larger than 275/22.5 so getting a unmounted one on the roof is not that hard. At my shop I use a BobCAt but on the road I've used my 30amp cord to drag it up the ladder. On a previous DP I carried one around a vent in the center of the roof without even tying it down. You do need to put a short peice of hose under it to keep water from comming in the vent. On this DP I carry a 295/80/22.5 at the back as there is not room anywhere else. Getting it down is easy enough as you just roll it off with someone to stop it or drop it so it lands flat. I do use a strap from the ladder to keep it in place.
I protect it by wrapping in alum foil and plastic wrap.

This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.

04 Monaco Dynasty 42' quad slide
Where am I?
How I tow.

Weathertodd221

FL

View Profile

Posted: 04/25/12 07:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

uncovered spare on the roof? Isnt that a "frying pan to the fire" kind of solution???

Galvanizd

Pacific Northwest..... For a bit.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/25/12 10:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LVYLOG, whats the other end of that strap connected to?

The tire doesn't slide around?

ClassAGeek

NYS

View Profile

Posted: 04/25/12 08:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A couple of people have suggested putting a spare on roof is a bad idea. Looking at this picture makes me think the roof is actually better protected. Guess what I'm doing this weekend?

Are people using old tires leftover from a previous set or buying new? I am pretty sure I know the answer, but I thought I'd ask.

----
Happy Ford F-53 Class A Owner (2008 Gulf Stream)
2010 Ford Fusion Toad (with 6 speed manual transmission - the only way to tow)
Brake Buddy Vantage, Blue Ox Aladdin Tow Bar,
TST RV 507 TPMS, Power Master Voltage Controller

Tradewinds

Northwest Washington

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/25/12 11:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On my 98 Tradewinds there was lots of room to mount the tire between the frame rules. I have it tucked up in there nice and tight. Have had to pull it out once in 13 years of ownership but was glad to have it. When I change tires I put the best of the old ones under there and cycle out the older one. I have it mounted up there with a boat winch tied to it and I just crank it down. I have it on a wheel.

Bob
National Tradewinds with Nissan 4x4 Ext Cab/Honda CRV Toad
It's the Journey not the Destination
RVing since 1970

RayChez

Barstow, Ca. USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/25/12 11:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I never have carried a spare tire. And you mentioned carrying one on the roof? Do you realize how much those things weigh? You don't need one on a dP.

2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
330 HP Caterpillar
3000 Allison Transmission
Neway Freightliner chassis
2013 Honda CR-V EX
Aventa II
FMCA member

Ivylog

Blairsville, GA and WPB, FL.

View Profile

Posted: 04/26/12 09:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Galvanizd wrote:

The other end goes under the tire and it's connected to the base of the ladder where it attache's to the roof. No it does not slide around partly because of the raise air vent at the top of the rear cap.
A unmounted 22.5 weighs 100 lbs +/- depending on the size and if your roof cannot handle that then you need not walk on your roof.
For those that say you do not need a spare, I guess you have not had a large truck tire shop laugh at you when you asked if they had a tire to fit your MH. Nice to have the last laugh when you roll your spare off the roof and your on your way in less than 30 minutes.
Putting one around a roof vent in the middle of the roof is an easy solution to carrying a unmounted spare that was one of your takeoffs when you replaced your tires. This tire is only used when you cannot find a newer replacement and it make what could be a long problem into an non event.

Galvanizd

Pacific Northwest..... For a bit.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/26/12 09:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ivylog wrote:

Galvanizd wrote:

The other end goes under the tire and it's connected to the base of the ladder where it attache's to the roof. No it does not slide around partly because of the raise air vent at the top of the rear cap.
A unmounted 22.5 weighs 100 lbs +/- depending on the size and if your roof cannot handle that then you need not walk on your roof.
For those that say you do not need a spare, I guess you have not had a large truck tire shop laugh at you when you asked if they had a tire to fit your MH. Nice to have the last laugh when you roll your spare off the roof and your on your way in less than 30 minutes.
Putting one around a roof vent in the middle of the roof is an easy solution to carrying a unmounted spare that was one of your takeoffs when you replaced your tires. This tire is only used when you cannot find a newer replacement and it make what could be a long problem into an non event.

Thanks, gotta take a look at my rv roof. Might be a good place to carry one. I've been carrying mine on the a rack on the roof of my towed for about 6 years.

mgh122

PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/26/12 11:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 275 70 22.5 tire not a common size on trucks. I put an unmounted spare in the back of my GC on the floor, take it out when we arrive and slide it under the rear of the coach, no need carrying all that weight around, It's heavy so I slide it in and out. Works for me.

Mike & Peg
Aint' life grand!!
'05 Discovery 39S
'04 Grand Cherokee Freedom, M&G, Roadmaster Sterling
http://discovery-on-the-road.blogspot.com/
Zeus the Wonder Dog
"makes you wonder doesn't he"

RVJimofOregon

Central Oregon Coast

View Profile

Posted: 04/26/12 09:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bsinmich wrote:

A lot depends on the size of the tire. If you have the 22.5" tire they will take up a lot more space than just a 19.5" one. I carry an unmounted tire in one compartment. When I bought new tires a couple years ago the dealer saved the best one for a spare.

X2

Jim & Joyce
Central Oregon Coast

26 foot 2004 Komfort travel trailer
2014 Platinum Tundra pickup

Treat the earth well, It was not given to you by your parents,“It was loaned to you by your children”
Indian proverb

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Spare tire
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS