|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
L2C

Placentia ca

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/24/12 09:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do all campgrounds allow a motor home and a dolly on their site?

rk911

Wheaton IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/24/12 09:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

i've never been to a CG or park that, other than space issues, prohibited keeping your dolly on your site. some of the sites in the park we're in tonote are microscopic in size which would make it problematic.

'73,
rich, n9dko
Every retired man needs three things....a good truck, a good dog and a working wife

'10 Jeep Liberty KK

wa_desert_rat

Central Washington State

View Profile

Posted: 04/24/12 09:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

L2C wrote:

Do all campgrounds allow a motor home and a dolly on their site?

Usually you can push a lot of the dolly under the RV so that it's only 3 or 4 feet extended behind it. We installed a receiver and hitch on the toad so we can pull the dolly to a storage spot (or, sometimes, a parking spot across from us).

Craig

FIRE UP

Lake Havasu City AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/24/12 09:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

L2C,
While we've never towed or owned a dolly, we did have a 34' Bounder and towed a 7'x16' enclosed trailer with our Honda Goldwing inside it for a 3600 mile trip around 6 western states. In that trip, we did experience a few campgrounds that could not accept us due to length. You see, like you, I could not use a "Back in" spot in any campground/RV park due to the fact that the access to the bike was the back door/ramp of the trailer so, we had to have pull throughs.

Now, being 55' long at the time, that's where we ran into some C/Gs that could not handle the length in pull throughs. We eventually found spots for the night, each night. But, there are many folks here on this site and other forums that use a dolly and, I've not heard of too many camp space issues with them so far.
Scott

Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

whem2fish

alvarado texas

View Profile

Posted: 04/25/12 03:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

there are camp grounds that do not let you store a dolly on your site.
i stay at one on the coast they use to let me push it under the back of the rv but no more they charge $ 10 to put it in storage but this is the only time i have ran into this

jk31668

so. new jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/25/12 03:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

i use a dolly most of the time. as was said above, the only issue is the length of the site and how long your rig is. unless i know in advance that i have a pull thru i will drop the car off the dolly up at the office where i have room. then go to my site, unhook the dolly, push it aside, back the rig in, then push the dolly in front of my rig. i can then usually park the car in front on an angle or parellel. then just reverse the process when i leave.

Effy

MD

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/25/12 06:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Never had an issue keeping it at my site in any place I've stayed. I don't really ask, I just do it.

2013 ACE 29.2

willald

NC

View Profile

Posted: 04/25/12 09:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hikerdogs wrote:

Effy wrote:

Never had an issue keeping it at my site in any place I've stayed. I don't really ask, I just do it.

That doesn't work in all cases. There are a couple campgrounds in the Gatlinburg area that have a sign posted at the registration parking and on the registration desk that say dollies are not allowed at the campsites. They require you to unload the dolly and park it in the special lot before driving to your campsite.

I can understand their point in that the sites along the creek slope toward the water. It wouldn't take much to have one roll down the bank and into the creek. Personally I'd rather have it safe and sound in the fenced parking lot and not have to worry about it getting away.

I've camped around Gatlinburg area many times. Suffice it to say, that there are plenty of campground options around that area. Would be pretty easy to find a place there that doesn't have that restriction. I know for a fact the CG we went to in Gatlinburg for the Ford Truck Rally, did not have such a rule.

Also, I'd have to disagree with you on that last part. I prefer to keep our dolly at our site under the MH where I can keep an eye on it. We pad-lock the dolly to the MH frame so I know its not going to disappear or roll down to the creek, either.

Will

willald

NC

View Profile

Posted: 04/25/12 06:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Effy wrote:

X2. Almost ALL of our dolly fits under back of the MH. Only a very little bit (less than 24") sticks out from back of the MH.

I know some talk about it here, but I've honestly never seen any CG that would refuse to let you keep a dolly on your site, provided you have enough room. I wonder if this is something of an 'urban legend'. One that was originally started by sales reps that sell tow bars and 4 down towing equipment, haha.

If I ever run into a campground so 'anal' that they won't let me keep something on my site that only takes up less than 24" more length behind the MH....Welllll, I would take that as a warning that they probably have other annoying 'anal' rules which means I need to look for another place to stay, anyway.

Will & Angela
2 children that love camping, Stephen & Allison
2012 FR Georgetown 351DS on F53 (V10) Chassis
Our Rig

Hikerdogs

Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 04/25/12 06:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Effy wrote:

That doesn't work in all cases. There are a couple campgrounds in the Gatlinburg area that have a sign posted at the registration parking and on the registration desk that say dollies are not allowed at the campsites. They require you to unload the dolly and park it in the special lot before driving to your campsite.

I can understand their point in that the sites along the creek slope toward the water. It wouldn't take much to have one roll down the bank and into the creek. Personally I'd rather have it safe and sound in the fenced parking lot and not have to worry about it getting away.

Hikerdogs
2013 Winnebago Adventurer

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS