RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: what if?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> what if?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Kittykath

Minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 05/16/12 07:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

nhshep wrote:

After six years of 4 day camping trips 6 or so times per year. Last year we did a seasonal site. On our 4 day trips one day was getting to the campground and setting up, camp for 2 days, the 4th day we had to check out late morning.
Now with the seasonal we don't care about gas prices and we are camping from the time we open the door. It is seasonal for this year too, a welcome break. Maybe next we'll hit the road with short trips. There are bargains out there for seasonal sites depending where you are located. It was because of high gas prices we looked at this as an opportunity to get more camping in rather than a set back and less camping.

I second that! We're in our 2nd year as a seasonal camper, and I don't see an end to it. No gas cost, backing or towing issues. I'd guess more seasonal sites would become available if there was an increased demand for them.

Dennis Smith

Colorado Springs

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/16/12 07:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just go back form a trip to Germany, where gas is $8.07 a gallon. And guess what you see RVs going up and down the road. You adjust and spend less in other places. Funny Diesel over there was $7.80 a gallon, less then gas here its the other way around.

thebutler4

Boerne, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 05/16/12 09:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jerem0621 wrote:

10-12 years ago people were asking what would happen if gas went to 3-4$. Guess what. We adjust our life styles and move on.

Camp closer to home? Yup.

Stop camping? No way!

X2 !!

2012 Dodge Ram 3500 Dual 6.7L High output diesel
2008 Jayco Designer 34RLQS
2013 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic
Full time and loving it

Cancer free since 1/2012
Men, Please check your self for Testicular cancer and Teach your young men how to check as well!

jwoodie

Folsom, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/17/12 03:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not to get POLITICAL or anything, but we have a TRILLION barrels of crude shale oil that is OFF LIMITS for some reason...

Chock Full o' Nuts

GA

View Profile

Posted: 05/16/12 10:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I expect we will still use the TT. Maybe not a long cross-country trip, but we'd definitely camp here in Georgia and maybe go down to Florida. No different from planning any other vacation. We'd just have to put the cost of gas into the budget.

"Those who dwell...among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life."--Rachel Carson, environmentalist, 1956

2009 Ford F250 XL
2006 Dutchmen 25F
Me & DH in non-parenting mode!

nhshep

New Hampshire

View Profile

Posted: 05/16/12 10:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If gas prices increase will seasonal sites cost more or will competition bring prices down. Our CG cost 1 mile from the ocean.
$2100 seasonal sewer & water included, electric runs $20 per month.
CG open Aprl 15 to October 18, can't beat that price if we add up what 8 four day trips would normally cost. We use ur compact car on seasonal CG visits not the truck. Last year we paid $3100 seasonal.
Both prices include storage on site.

A tip: don't book the seasonal prior to open season wait until June/July ask that it runs until following june/july, some CG managers want to fill seasonal sites ad willing to work with you.
Find a campground with activities that way you'll never get bored.

enjoy..

thebutler4

Boerne, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 05/17/12 05:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jerem0621 wrote:

jwoodie wrote:

Not to get POLITICAL or anything, but we have a TRILLION barrels of crude shale oil that is OFF LIMITS for some reason...

Not getting political but my father in law says

"why would we want to use ours (oil supply) when we can burn up theirs?"

Makes sense to me.

Thanks!

Because theirs is costing 5 time the amount that it would cost to use ours ..... that's why ... lol

shenandoahvalley

Shenandoah Valley, Virginia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/17/12 03:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WyoTraveler wrote:

If gas went to $7 or $8 a gallon think about diesel price per gallon. Then think about the cost to transport commercial goods, groceries etc. I'm not sure camping would be the thing I would be worrying about. I have seen hay go from $60 a ton to over $150 a ton mainly because of fuel costs. You can hardly give a horse away in Wyoming.

I agree with this...if gas/fuel suddenly jumps to $7-8/gal we as a nation will have a lot worse things to contend with other than camping...like buying food, clothes, etc. No reason for it to happen or even be as high as it is...politics and greenies are the direct cause. Trying to shove 60 mpg cars and -0- emissions down our throats without a clear plan how to achieve it.

jerem0621

Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 05/17/12 04:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jwoodie wrote:

Not getting political but my father in law says

"why would we want to use ours (oil supply) when we can burn up theirs?"

Makes sense to me.

Thanks!

2014 Chrysler Town And Country
3.6 Pentastar V6

"It's Kind of Fun To Do The Impossible"
~Walt Disney~

SabreCanuck

Winnipeg

View Profile

Posted: 05/17/12 04:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

shenandoahvalley wrote:

WyoTraveler wrote:

If gas went to $7 or $8 a gallon think about diesel price per gallon. Then think about the cost to transport commercial goods, groceries etc. I'm not sure camping would be the thing I would be worrying about. I have seen hay go from $60 a ton to over $150 a ton mainly because of fuel costs. You can hardly give a horse away in Wyoming.

I agree with this...if gas/fuel suddenly jumps to $7-8/gal we as a nation will have a lot worse things to contend with other than camping...like buying food, clothes, etc. No reason for it to happen or even be as high as it is...politics and greenies are the direct cause. Trying to shove 60 mpg cars and -0- emissions down our throats without a clear plan how to achieve it.

I will second both of these notions and find it hard to believe that most people don't think about that. Look around you. All the way around you. Every single thing you can see was delivered to store (or you) on a vehicle burning fuel. You think you'll still get milk for a $1.00 when the store has to pay 3 times current cost for delivery?

Camping might be the start, but it will be least of your worries.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> what if?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS