|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing with Disabilities and Ge...

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing with Disabilities and General Health Issues

> Pool lifts for Mobility challenged

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
SDcampowneroperator

South Dakota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/17/12 09:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Today, 5/17, the fed. Dept. of Justice extended the deadline from 5/21/12 to 1/31/13 for all public pools with an average depth less than 48" to provide either a sloped entry or a permanently mounted lift.
Parks everywhere are striving to meet this mandate, within the DOJ 'readily achievable' clause.

What do you think?

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 05/17/12 09:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With an avg depth of less than 48"? So if on the avg the pool is deeper than that they don't have to be ADA?

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins (lightly bombed),
2004 Forest River 25RKS many, many mods.
POS H0NDA eu2000i

magnusfide

On the Road Again and Again and Again...

View Profile

Posted: 05/17/12 09:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SDcampowneroperator wrote:

Today, 5/17, the fed. Dept. of Justice extended the deadline from 5/21/12 to 1/31/13 for all public pools with an average depth less than 48" to provide either a sloped entry or a permanently mounted lift.
Parks everywhere are striving to meet this mandate, within the DOJ 'readily achievable' clause.

What do you think?

I think it's another regulation that will raise cg prices and the equipment rarely monitored. The ADA doesn't seem to do followup, at least not in many fast food restaurants where the alleged handicapped stalls are still too narrow to accommodate a wheelchair. My wife was wc bound for awhile during her chemo treatments. She had the worst time of it trying to use the lavvy at McDonalds.

First law of science: don't spit into the wind.
Keep on rollin'!
Magnus

SDcampowneroperator

South Dakota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/17/12 10:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Correct. Deeper pools and no other existing facility in the camp is required to meet ADA., even in the event of other remodel projects.
We in the outdoor hospitality industry recognize it is to our advantage to make our facilities as useful as possible. It takes time and a clientele with the need.

Our industry leaders did recognize the reason, as did AG Eric Holder.

Son of Norway

Denver, Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/17/12 10:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would think that a lift would be an expensive, unreliable piece of equipment that would hardly ever be used. How much does it cost to modify the pools for walk-in entry? I see that in many public pools and it is a feature that even able-bodied people enjoy.

Miles

Miles and Darcey
1989 Holiday Rambler Crown Imperial
Denver, CO

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/18/12 06:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This will just lead to pools being closed. Something we already see with the high insurance costs on pools. I doubt many CG operators can afford $20000 or more for a pool lift that will be used a few times a year. And as someone trained as an environmental engineer I'd have to say that the danger of contaminating the pool by dropping wheel chairs in it are high.

People just need to accept that not everyone can do everything. My days of thinking about climbing El Capitan are behind me for example.

Glendale Titanium 29E34TS fifth wheel
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
PullRite OE Series Super5th 18K
Superbumper

magnusfide

On the Road Again and Again and Again...

View Profile

Posted: 05/18/12 08:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

agesilaus wrote:

This will just lead to pools being closed. Something we already see with the high insurance costs on pools. I doubt many CG operators can afford $20000 or more for a pool lift that will be used a few times a year. And as someone trained as an environmental engineer I'd have to say that the danger of contaminating the pool by dropping wheel chairs in it are high.

Double Ditto

agesilaus wrote:

People just need to accept that not everyone can do everything. My days of thinking about climbing El Capitan are behind me for example.
Shhh, next thing you know Big Brother will require a lift for El Capitan!

ArcticDodge

Sammamish, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/18/12 09:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's my understanding that the new ADA requirement is for a permanently mounted lift. Pool operators already comply with a slope or a portable lift. There are many stories from hotel operators that there as NEVER be a single request to use the portable lift. One more government over reach that will close recreational access to everyone!

2009 Komfort 256TS
2001 Dodge Ram 3500 QC 4x4 Cummins DRW
2005 Dodge Durango Limited AWD HEMI
2006 Dodge Charger R/T HEMI
2001 Sebring Convertible
1995 Miata M-Edition
1 Wife 2 Boys UW & Bellevue College
1 Trixie (Bichon Frise)
Only 21 years to retirement!!!!

hitchup

Fulltiming and on the Road.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/18/12 11:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I heard they are required to put in a fixed unit even if they already have a portable one. Which in some cases would cause a tripping hazard.

It's just another attorney income generator. They hire disabled to complain about non-ADA compliant businesses.

2014 DRV Mobile Suite Estates 38RSB3....our custom home
2014 Ford F450 KR CC 4x4......his office
Working Fulltimers since 3/2005

"Shoot for the Moon! Even if you miss it, you will land among the Stars."

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/18/12 11:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In a similar stupid action, the feds licensed commercial game ranches to raised endangered species like the various African antelopes. The ranches of course sold sold hunting permits to customers. But this resulted in a large increase in the number of these critters.

It was a successful program, cost the feds next to nothing and the private ranches made a living off the hunts. However seeing that it was working well the feds slapped the ranches with onerous new licensing fees and piles of paperwork with the result that the ranches are getting out of the business and getting rid of the critters.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing with Disabilities and General Health Issues

> Pool lifts for Mobility challenged
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing with Disabilities and Ge...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS