|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Gulfstream Tourmaster owners

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
leemoniz

florida

View Profile

Posted: 05/19/12 04:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am a novice to posting on a forum so I am not familiar with how this works. We will be first time RV owners are comtemplating a purchase of a 2007 or 2008 Tourmaster T-40B with approximately 25K mi and would like some feedback from anyone who has had experience with this model. We expect this to be our primary residence as we begin our retirement in about a year.

Living On

Where Ever

View Profile

Posted: 05/19/12 06:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You should be very careful with this brand of RV. Some have lots of fluff but very little substance.

JTHarley

Northeast, Michigan, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/19/12 10:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My first coach was a gulf stream (i've owned 5 coaches) and sold it after 8 months of ownership. Even the dealer I bought it from tried to convince me to go with Winnebago which was the other brand they sold. It looked great and as a novice at that time I went with the "glitz" instead of the guts. Compartments leaked, slide broke twice in 8 months, rusting out everywhere, roof leaks and the list went on and on.....luckily the dealer took it on trade for a winnebago journey and didn't beat me up that bad on the trade.

I would do a lot of research on the gulf stream brand before finalizing your decision. The tour master is a great looking coach but I have no idea how they hold up. I got so tired of issues with class A coaches that I saved my pennies and went with a very high end class 8 truck conversion and have never looked back. I have all the amenities of a 45' class A with quad slides and the build quality is better than any of my other 5 coaches. I was very happy with my Winnebago Vectra but I needed something bigger than 36 feet so I sold that last year and bought my new coach.

Jim , MJ & Spirit of Sambuca Bear
2005 Prevost Royale XLII
Jeep Sahara Toad

zigzagrv

Nazareth, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/19/12 07:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can get lots of info on Gulf Stream Owners forum for the Tourmaster. Good Luck.

Ron

2003 Gulf Stream Ultra Supreme 33'
F53 Class A
'95 Tracker toad

nemo45

Arlington, WI

View Profile

Posted: 05/20/12 08:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Living On wrote:

You should be very careful with this brand of RV. Some have lots of fluff but very little substance.

????? Could you explain this? I just bought a 2006 Tour Master and have yet to find anything wrong with it. It rides and handles like a dream compared to my gasser. We are impressed with this coach.

Don Niemeyer
2006 Gulf Stream Tour Master T40A
2011 Chevy Equinox LT1 Toad

steveownby

Cosby, TN

View Profile

Posted: 05/19/12 09:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds like you may have picked a specific coach to focus on. If you have decided Gulfstream is the brand then check what chassis it is built on. It will be Freightliner or Spartan. The Spartan chassis with IFS had an issue for many years with ball joints going bad. Be aware that the Norcold brand of RV refrigerators are all subject to a recall so make sure that has been done. I would invest in a lab test for the engine oil and transmission fluid. Google "Blackstone Lab" for info. Look at the date codes on the tires as they could be sugnificately older than the chassis. 7 years is generally accepted as the service life of tires. Don't let anyone tell you that the transmission fluid is good for 300,000 miles with no regard to time. Go to the Allison web site and educate yourself. I suspect the transmission is an Allison 3000. The filters should be replaced at 36 months. The Transynd fluid should be replaced at 48 months or lab tested.

If you are still looking at brands then I would suggest you consider the following in no particular order:
1. Newmar
2. Winnebago
3. Tiffin
4. Monaco/Holiday Rambler (not the 4 airbag chassis)
5. Country Coach (out of business)

I consider these brands to be good full timing coaches. This is my opinion only and certainly no an exhaustive list.

My wife and I were doing exactly what you are doing now about 6 years ago. Our experience has been wonderful and I can't imagine a better life style.

Be sure to let us know how you are progressing.

Steve Ownby
2003 Monaco Signature

Full-time since 2007

JTHarley

Northeast, Michigan, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/20/12 08:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

nemo45 wrote:

Living On wrote:

????? Could you explain this? I just bought a 2006 Tour Master and have yet to find anything wrong with it. It rides and handles like a dream compared to my gasser. We are impressed with this coach.

I think he is simply saying that he should search the forums here and other sites to get input from Gulfstream owners. Like most brands he will find those that love them and those that have issues but if your going to buy for full timing, I would want as much information as possible. Gulfstream does not have a GREAT reputation in this industry but I am glad that you have a nice coach with no issues.

JTHarley

Northeast, Michigan, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/20/12 12:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In my case it was the build quality of the coach. After owning 5 motorhomes you get a sense of when something is built to last. The type of materials used, insulation, cabinets ect....I can only speak from my own experience but when a new coach has flooded compartments when it rains, when the slide mechanism is rusted out in the first 8 months, the roof leaks, leaks on the windows,so many rattles and squeaks from the interior components, plumbing leaks and such you just begin to wonder about quality controls. I had no engine problems and it did drive wonderfully as do most diesel pushers but the level of noise ruined the nice drive.

This was many years ago, so maybe the quality after 2004 got much better. To me this was a coach that looked good from far but far from good. I would consider going down a few years in age and start looking at country coach, foretravel, american coach first. Then I would look at Newmar, Winnebago. Gulfstream would be on the bottom of my list based on my past experience. I base this on the OP looking for a coach to full time in. As a weekend warrior or a two month in florida coach I'm sure it would be fine.

nemo45

Arlington, WI

View Profile

Posted: 05/20/12 10:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JTHarley wrote:

nemo45 wrote:

Living On wrote:

I think he is simply saying that he should search the forums here and other sites to get input from Gulfstream owners. Like most brands he will find those that love them and those that have issues but if your going to buy for full timing, I would want as much information as possible. Gulfstream does not have a GREAT reputation in this industry but I am glad that you have a nice coach with no issues.

What I really want to know is what kind of things I should be looking for. All manufacturers use the same components as far as A/C's, refrigerators, microwaves etc. I would like to know specifically what doesn't come up to par with the other brands. Oh, and we are fulltimers.

rescue7

traverse city, mi

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/20/12 02:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 2007 Tourmaster and have had no problems that normal maintenace didnt take care of. I had one problem with EGR cooler which warranty took care of. If you look at this forum and IRV2 forum you will see people with problems with Winnebago, Tiffin, and all others. Its a house going down the road at 60+ MPH. Things work loose, you need to always check for loose screws or caulk seams that the caulk shrinks to keep leaks out. Doesnt matter what you have if you dont take care of it. It will fail. I also have never had a problem talking too or emailing someone at Gulfstream always receive a response.

Don

Don & Lori
2007 Gulfstream Tour Master T40C

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Gulfstream Tourmaster owners
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts