RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Around the Campfire: Can you identify this military ribbon

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire

 > Can you identify this military ribbon

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Rick Y

Vancouver (not BC), Washington (not DC)

Senior Member

Joined: 11/03/2003

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 05/22/12 03:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Engineer9860 wrote:

Does he have either of these ribbons?





Rick Y wrote:

The bronze stars are oriented with the points pointing into the red color so apparently that means the red bar is on top with the blue underneath. I wish I could post a picture but don't currently have access to a digital camera. It is, however, a very simple ribbon as such things go. As I have said, the top half is one color and the bottom half is another. Using the star point rule it is red on top and a dark blue on the bottom. It has five bronze battle stars running horizontally across the border between the red and blue.

The 201 file for the officer says that he was in the following battles and campaigns: European Theater, Normandy, Northern France, Rhineland, Ardennes, Central Europe. The file also says that his decorations and awards are: Silver Star, Bronze Star, Purple Heart, Distinguished Unit Badge, European African Middle Eastern Theater Campaign Ribbon, and American Defense Service Medal. All of these decorations are present in the items loaned to me.

The closest I have found (and what would seem to be a logical ribbon for him to have considering he served into 1946) is the WW II Army of Occupation Rlbbon. However, it's red & blue colors are vertical and it has on both outside ends an additional white color. Very frustrating!


It would appear that he, and my maternal grandfather were in units attached to the same armored division.........
He has the upper, American Defense Service ribbon, but not the lower one you show. He was in the 94th Armored Bn, 4th Infantry Division and also in the 4th Armored Division. Major Jacob Milton Murdock, III (grandson of Jacob Milton Murdock Sr and nephew ( not son) of Jacob Milton Murdock Jr.)

* This post was last edited 05/22/12 07:25pm by Rick Y *   View edit history


Rick & Karen
2006 Monaco Monarch 30PBS, Class A, Triton V10
2013 Honda Fit Sport automatic, Roadmaster Stowmaster.
Robore Prudentia Praestat


SPVFD47

New Jersey

New Member

Joined: 06/18/2012

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/18/12 11:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Does it look like this ?



* This post was edited 06/18/12 11:30am by SPVFD47 *

Engineer9860

Eagle Scout dad

Senior Member

Joined: 08/10/2003

View Profile



Posted: 06/18/12 12:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SPVFD47 wrote:

Does it look like this ?



Based on the OP's description I'd say yes. However, I was under the impression that the 5 stars were added on, and not an original part of the ribbon. Campaign stars are added on for every action of award after the initial action for which the award was presented.

I.e. if you were to be awarded the Purple Heart medal three times you wouldn't have three Purple Heart ribbons on your ribbon bar. You would have one ribbon, and two bronze colored stars. After 4 bronze colored stars a 6th action would see removal of the bronze colored stars for a single silver colored star.


In Memoriam: Liberty Belle


Rick Y

Vancouver (not BC), Washington (not DC)

Senior Member

Joined: 11/03/2003

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/18/12 05:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Engineer9860 wrote:

SPVFD47 wrote:

Does it look like this ?



Based on the OP's description I'd say yes. However, I was under the impression that the 5 stars were added on, and not an original part of the ribbon. Campaign stars are added on for every action of award after the initial action for which the award was presented.

I.e. if you were to be awarded the Purple Heart medal three times you wouldn't have three Purple Heart ribbons on your ribbon bar. You would have one ribbon, and two bronze colored stars. After 4 bronze colored stars a 6th action would see removal of the bronze colored stars for a single silver colored star.

Correct, the five bronze stars are pins inserted into the actual ribbon. Otherwise that is exactly what it looks like. The researcher at the US Army Museum has come up empty handed. Possibly it's a foreign ribbon NOT allowed to US military and possibly collected as a souvenir of battle?

SPVFD47

New Jersey

New Member

Joined: 06/18/2012

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/19/12 04:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The ribbon above comes with the five stars attached from the beginning. It's not a military award, but rather an Honor Society Award. Its from the Scabbard and Blade. A military ROTC honor society. You're awarded the ribbon after 12 month of being in the organization. You can not join, but rather are recommended by ROTC instructors or military science professors.

The five stars symbolize the five founders.

http://www.scabbardandblade.org/

The ribbon is not authorized for wear on any military uniform (Army, Navy, Air Force or Marine). Military Cadets are authorized to wear the ribbon on their ROTC or Military Institution uniforms only.

On another note, FYI, not all services use campaign stars for subsequent awards, the Army and Air Force use oak leaf clusters on the Purple Heart and many other awards. A Campaign Star is used primary for different "Campaign Periods". IE, the Iraqi Campaign Medal can be awarded for one deployment to Iraq, but an individual could be there during the time frame of 2 different campaign periods and be award one medal with 2 stars for 1 deployment.

* This post was edited 06/19/12 04:45am by SPVFD47 *

Engineer9860

Eagle Scout dad

Senior Member

Joined: 08/10/2003

View Profile



Posted: 06/19/12 05:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SPVFD47 wrote:


On another note, FYI, not all services use campaign stars for subsequent awards, the Army and Air Force use oak leaf clusters on the Purple Heart and many other awards. A Campaign Star is used primary for different "Campaign Periods". IE, the Iraqi Campaign Medal can be awarded for one deployment to Iraq, but an individual could be there during the time frame of 2 different campaign periods and be award one medal with 2 stars for 1 deployment.


That is correct. My example of the use of campaign stars on the Purple Heart medal was incorrect. It is the oak leaf clusters. Can't figure out why I confused the two..... Just wasn't thinking I guess.

Rick Y

Vancouver (not BC), Washington (not DC)

Senior Member

Joined: 11/03/2003

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/20/12 10:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SPVFD47 wrote:

The ribbon above comes with the five stars attached from the beginning. It's not a military award, but rather an Honor Society Award. Its from the Scabbard and Blade. A military ROTC honor society. You're awarded the ribbon after 12 month of being in the organization. You can not join, but rather are recommended by ROTC instructors or military science professors.

The five stars symbolize the five founders.

http://www.scabbardandblade.org/

The ribbon is not authorized for wear on any military uniform (Army, Navy, Air Force or Marine). Military Cadets are authorized to wear the ribbon on their ROTC or Military Institution uniforms only.

On another note, FYI, not all services use campaign stars for subsequent awards, the Army and Air Force use oak leaf clusters on the Purple Heart and many other awards. A Campaign Star is used primary for different "Campaign Periods". IE, the Iraqi Campaign Medal can be awarded for one deployment to Iraq, but an individual could be there during the time frame of 2 different campaign periods and be award one medal with 2 stars for 1 deployment.
Thanks, very, very much! That makes sense as the Major was a member of ROTC while obtaining his degree. Thanks again!

Moderator

Bowling Green, KY

Moderator

Joined: 01/19/2004

View Profile



Posted: 06/20/12 11:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It is good to see members working so hard to help another member. It is the way a forum should be. Thanks to all making a contribution to this thread!

Engineer9860

Eagle Scout dad

Senior Member

Joined: 08/10/2003

View Profile



Posted: 06/20/12 01:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would also like to add that almost any U.S. military ribbon will have it's color stripes aligned vertically. The reason for this is because the colors continue from the ribbon onto the actual medal itself.

Take a look at the American Campaign Medal.



The ribbon would not be worn on the uniform at the same time as the actual medal, but to show continuance the ribbon, and medal are made from the same garment stock.

When the OP described the ribbon as having horizontal alignment my immediate reaction was to suspect it as a state, or foreign award.

I am glad someone was able to discover this award's origin. I have enjoyed learning about this.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire

 > Can you identify this military ribbon
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS