RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: LEVEL?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> LEVEL?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
sharker6

fulltime KY, NC, FL, MA, TN

View Profile

Posted: 05/23/12 10:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

carjocky wrote:

sharker6 wrote:

I carry a 4' level. The longer the level the more accurate. Those small levels just don't cut it. Plus, I sit for a month at a time.

I now use a level app on my iphone. Works great. levels all angles at the same time.

Problem, it's only leveling the small area under your iphone. It least that area is level.

2009 30' Fleetwood Wilderness, 2008 F-250 Super Duty FX4 stump puller

ExRocketScientist

Laurel, MD

View Profile

Posted: 05/23/12 11:02am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had to install the little levels on my new TT. So first I had to level it with my big level. I put the big level in about 10 different places in the trailer. It didn't always read the same. When the majority of the readings indicated level, and it felt level in my mind . . . I tried a dozen different places to install the little level so it read right (I have the T level). Turned out to be an odd spot on top of the bumper. Looks funny and I'm sure the screws would interfere with putting a slinky in the bumper. Good thing I have the Valterra carriers screwed to the side of the I-beam.

ERS

MitchF150

Puyallup, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/23/12 12:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Man, you guys really make this a chore don't you??

I'm glad I don't have to go thru all of that to get the dang thing level...

This is just what works for me and been doing it this way for 10 years with the same TT..

I've got the original round bubble level they gave me as part of the 'starter kit' when I bought the TT 10 years ago..

Looks similar to this

I just place this on the tongue and it tells me side to side and front to back in one easy location. If it's more than a full bubble off, I know I need 1 set of boards under the low side tires. Then I unhitch and set the front to back. Set the corner jacks and call it good..

Works for me..

Mitch

2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2003 Prowler Lynx 722F #5000 GVWR and weighs every bit of it! Happy Camping!

DavidP

Raleigh

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/23/12 12:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I make sure my fridge is level and all else is good.

JoyceandSteve

Houston, Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/23/12 11:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

powderman426 wrote:

You might want to check the level on the floor one time to be sure the levels on the trailer were installed correctly. After that just use the trailer. Level side to side using blocks, the front to back using the tongue jack. Then lower the stabilizer jacks and go have a beer. or two, or three. Oh you get the point.

X2 on this

Steve & Joyce
2011 Chevrolet 2500 Z71 4X4
2013 Montana High Country 343 RL
1996 Celebrity 200 Boat
2000 Yamaha 1200 LTD Waverunner
2012 Ford Mustang GT (Mama's ride)
Vítejte na víkend doma a Steve Joyce

carjocky

Northwest Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 05/23/12 01:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MitchF150 wrote:

****snip***

Looks similar to this

I just place this on the tongue and it tells me side to side and front to back in one easy location. If it's more than a full bubble off, I know I need 1 set of boards under the low side tires. Then I unhitch and set the front to back. Set the corner jacks and call it good..

Works for me..

Mitch

That is exactly what I do with the IPhone app. It is the same type of level. Heck it even beeps when it is level. Put it on the tongue and presto if it is in line on the tongue I have not had it being a problem thru out.

Jon
Ohio
2012 Keystone Bullet Premier 29RTPR
2009 Dodge Ram Crew Cab 1500 5.7 Hemi

ExRocketScientist

Laurel, MD

View Profile

Posted: 05/23/12 01:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MitchF150 wrote:

I'm glad I don't have to go thru all of that to get the dang thing level...

This is just what works for me and been doing it this way for 10 years with the same TT..

I've got the original round bubble level they gave me as part of the 'starter kit' when I bought the TT 10 years ago..

Looks similar to this

Works for me..

Mitch

I wish my T level would have worked there . . . it would have been much more convenient. But the coupler was made in China and I don't think they considered the possibility someone would want to do that. I'm willing to bet there aren't a lot of RVers in China with experience in this area.

ExRocketScientist

Laurel, MD

View Profile

Posted: 05/23/12 01:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gmw photos wrote:

I keep a little 10" torpedo level just inside the door, under the edge of the carpet mat. I have found it reads the same as my four foot carpenter level. I've also checked it all and found that if the floor right there at the door is level both side to side and front to back, then everything else is level too ( stove, refer and galley counter top.

I have also found that if the trailer starts out dead level with the ( one and only ) streetside slide "in", then once it's extended, then I am slightly tilted that way. So, if I do in fact 'start out level' then I roll the streetside tires up onto a thickness of 3/4" plywood, and it comes out correct when the slide extends.

On my fiver, extending the slide does not change anything. Imagine my surprise the first time I set up my TT and discovered I needed to be almost a half a bubble off plumb to start with.

Bit Bucket

Brookings, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 05/23/12 01:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ozlander wrote:

If you have a cook in the family, the only thing important is the stove. So level the stove and everything else will be close enough.

Us too!

gmw photos

midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/23/12 01:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I keep a little 10" torpedo level just inside the door, under the edge of the carpet mat. I have found it reads the same as my four foot carpenter level. I've also checked it all and found that if the floor right there at the door is level both side to side and front to back, then everything else is level too ( stove, refer and galley counter top.

I have also found that if the trailer starts out dead level with the ( one and only ) streetside slide "in", then once it's extended, then I am slightly tilted that way. So, if I do in fact 'start out level' then I roll the streetside tires up onto a thickness of 3/4" plywood, and it comes out correct when the slide extends.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> LEVEL?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS