RV.Net Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: I Guess Camping Is Different Here....

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> I Guess Camping Is Different Here....

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
cm11599ps

Long Island

View Profile

Posted: 05/23/12 07:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm on Long Island so I think our version of camping is a bit different from everyone else. We have a few county parks, some of them right on the beach which is great. The downside with one beach CG is that while the roads are paved and the sites are grass/sand/dirt, the CG resembles a parking lot. RV's are just parked next to each other about every 30' or so.

We have 2 state parks. One is one the beach and you do have more privacy and greenery then the above but then you have ZERO hookups. There are a handful of water spigots scattered around the park. The other state site has trees and hookups and such but it's still not quite what I've seen in pics of other members.

To get off of Long Island where I am then it would take me over 1.5 hours on a real good day. Then you would have to contend with bridges, tunnels and/or ferries depending on which way you go. It' snot the easiest thing to do, even with a little car.

I get jealous of other people who seem to have great CG's with things to do and see. Maybe one day we'll venture off the island but now this year. Then again, I'm sure there's quite a few people who are envious of me because the majority of my camping is just steps from the ocean with the sound of the rolling waves putting you to sleep.

JayWalker2009

I'm not really a

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/23/12 07:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cm11599ps wrote:

I'm on Long Island so I think our version of camping is a bit different from everyone else. We have a few county parks, some of them right on the beach which is great. The downside with one beach CG is that while the roads are paved and the sites are grass/sand/dirt, the CG resembles a parking lot. RV's are just parked next to each other about every 30' or so.

We have 2 state parks. One is one the beach and you do have more privacy and greenery then the above but then you have ZERO hookups. There are a handful of water spigots scattered around the park. The other state site has trees and hookups and such but it's still not quite what I've seen in pics of other members.

To get off of Long Island where I am then it would take me over 1.5 hours on a real good day. Then you would have to contend with bridges, tunnels and/or ferries depending on which way you go. It' snot the easiest thing to do, even with a little car.

I get jealous of other people who seem to have great CG's with things to do and see. Maybe one day we'll venture off the island but now this year. Then again, I'm sure there's quite a few people who are envious of me because the majority of my camping is just steps from the ocean with the sound of the rolling waves putting you to sleep.

I love love love the CG we frequent the most, it is so self contained with so much to do that we don't even need to leave it if we don't want. But, I think having the CG right at the beach would be awesome too. We are a mile from the beach, but I can't imagine much being cooler than being ON the beach. So don't fret too much, it sounds really nice.

cm11599ps

Long Island

View Profile

Posted: 05/23/12 07:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JayWalker2009 wrote:

cm11599ps wrote:

I love love love the CG we frequent the most, it is so self contained with so much to do that we don't even need to leave it if we don't want. But, I think having the CG right at the beach would be awesome too. We are a mile from the beach, but I can't imagine much being cooler than being ON the beach. So don't fret too much, it sounds really nice.

Yeah, I guess the grass is always greener. lol I see other people with lakes and forests and creeks and hiking trails, etc....Don't get me wrong, there are a few mountian biking trails here and there.

Some of the beach CG's actually allow you to bring the camper right on the beach. We haven't ventured that far yet, partly because out hybrid is real low to the ground. For now, we are perfectly content with camping behind the dunes.

texas_train

Great State Of Texas!

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/23/12 07:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yeah. Ocean is great! We are fair drive to Texas / Galveston on the gulf. Beach's are more frequent than just ocean's though. We do have Lake Dardenelle State park within an hour. Where there are full hookups and sites pretty much on the water
AR river area between locks takeing up 100's of Miles of shoreline and great fishing too!! ;0

* This post was edited 05/23/12 09:16pm by texas_train *

2012 Cedar Creek 36 RE Touring ED, all avail options
2011 GMC 2500 HD Denali DMax 4wd Superglide firestone bags
2007 Sea Ray 290 (31'1") Sundancer Dual 5.0 MPI's Bravo III's
Don and Rosie, Annie the wonder Dog
clicky to our photobook album

wny_pat

Western NYS

View Profile

Posted: 05/23/12 08:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cm11599ps wrote:

For now, we are perfectly content with camping behind the dunes.
That is more than close enough to the Salt water & mist for me!

“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”

chuckster11

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 05/23/12 08:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, when a half acre is worth a million dollars, it is a little hard for a private entity or government agency to build great big RV campgrounds. I think I can understand, having visited Long Island (had a daughter in the Coast Guard Academy at King's Point), I can see why you are limited in options.
Really a neat area but it sure did look pricey!

Eycom

View Profile

Posted: 05/23/12 08:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I do a lot of different public campgrounds: federal, COE, state, city and county; on the beach, a lake, a river, from the foothills to the mountains, a forest or along the flat lands. While lacking in all the amenities, each of them has had an appealing natural ambiance I've not found in most, but not all, commercial parks. Maybe it's just my perception of what camping is all about. Or perhaps those natural settings provide an environment more conducive to my personality. Either way, I'm thankful for the opportunity to full time and experience those serene settings and million dollar views.

RVn Full-time

pnichols

Santa Cruz Mountains

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/23/12 10:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just as a point of reference, below is where we camped last month right on the beach here in CA. Our RV is parked in the sand about 30 feet behind the guy in the chair (me). We watched whales go by through the dinette window as we ate lunch:

Phil, 2005 E450 Itasca 324V Spirit

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/23/12 10:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you want to "pretend" you are camping in the "country", try Battle Row Campground in Old Bethpage. It has water and electric hookups and it is in what looks like "woods" though you are not far off from the road. You pay a little more if you are a Suffolk resident as it is a Nassau County Campground. We have not stayed there but looked it over.

We just put up with the traffic, tolls and gas prices and leave LI and head to PA.

Roadtrek 190 Popular 2011

Meryl and Me Hit the Road

FunnyCamper

Southeastern

View Profile

Posted: 05/24/12 04:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

you have to move just kidding

sounds like a very cramped area but great scenery/beach.

while the 1.5 hr drive probably does stink in alot of traffic, I would hit the road. go see some other things. It sounds like you feel trapped with your choices, only thing you can do is drive away.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> I Guess Camping Is Different Here....
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS