RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Do I need duels, and do I need engine brake?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Do I need duels, and do I need engine brake?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
richfaa

Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 05/25/12 07:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Does not the 2009 F-350 have the Tow haul mode?? it works fine for us. Need the dually for carry capacity and the GCWR is in question. You may not have enough truck...to stay within spec,s..If that means anything to you....otherwise....it will pull it fine..

2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky. 08 Ford F-350 6.4L

golf_bears

Rapid City, SD

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/25/12 07:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Many of the folks with DRV 36' RVs are pulling with the F450 dually, I am. The dually has more carrying capacity and gives you more stability.

Does your 2009 F350 have the towing package with the "Tow Haul" feature? If so the exhaust brake is not needed it would be redundant.

My F450 with "Tow Haul" has been through Vail Pass in Colorado and Teton Pass in Wyoming and a few other very steep grades with no problems. The "tow Haul" mode is basically an exhaust break.

JRS & B

Florida/Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 05/25/12 07:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The tow haul mode in my Dodge Ram just changes the shift points. The diesel exhaust brake is a whole separate mechanism.

I agree with a previous post, once you have a diesel brake you would never be without one.

Long downhill grades on the interstate without touching the brakes at all because the diesel brake is enough to keep you from becoming a runaway vehicle. How nice is that?

It saves wear and tear on the truck and trailer brakes and those brakes are still available and not overheated if they are needed in an emergency.

donn0128

Pronounced Ore-gun

View Profile

Posted: 05/25/12 07:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Splashers3 wrote:

an exhaust brake ONLY if you travel though mountain areas with alot of long steep decends...otherwise, with your trailer's disc brakes you will be OK.

From an exhaust brake manufacturer rep - only need one if you travel through mts with long downhill stretches . Won't say which rep told my friend that when he wanted to buy one. We live in a relatively flat region.

Are you sure this person did not sell brake parts? An EB saves on service brakes. You know the old saying, once you go EB you'll never go back.

Don,Lorri,Max (The Rescue Flat Coat Retriever?)
The Other Dallas

wandering1

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 05/25/12 07:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The only reason you need dual rear wheels is to haul additional weight over the rear axles and spend more money on tires. SRW will haul the 5er pin weight just fine. Look at the truck specs to compare the axle weight ratings. SRW is just as stable as DRW.

HR

josten367

Columbia, MO

View Profile

Posted: 05/25/12 07:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check your weights on your camper and truck. If they are close or over then you need a dually. If your weights are ok or close to it then I won't stress about it.
Braking should be ok with your truck and trailer but I agree that you have to have it when you travel a lot of mountains.
I would suggest that you get all the numbers for the truck and trailer (take and get it physically weigh at a station, not just the numbers from the manufactorer). Then post it here and some of these guys/gals will have a hay day on helping you with them. It's what we do around here (help people).

2012 Palomino Puma Bunkhouse 5th Wheel 295KBH
2003 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab 4x4 Gas with Flowmasters
B&W Companion 5th Wheel

MPI_Mallard

McGregor Ontario,St. Cloud Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/25/12 08:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've got both a 6.7L diesel dually with a 8' box and a Jake-Brake and there is no way i'd do any serious travelling without both,now mind you we go south every winter now so i look at my rig as a required set-up for what i think as "safe travelling" which it to say my 6.7L Cummings has the torque to haul 16.000 LBS up the smokey mountains with ease and the Jake Brake to spare my brakes and help slow down on the way down. I find that having two rear tires adds tracking and stability with cross winds and in the event of a blow-out the extra wheel goes a long way to relieving anxiety and stress while travelling. All in all i consider my rig to be optimal for what i'm doing and i wouldn't change a thing.

Red Green:
They say necessity is the mother of invention.
Don't know who the father is,probably remorse.

07' Dodge 3500 6 speed Cummins Diesel Dually/6.7L Bully-Chipped /
Exhst Brake/07' Cedar Creek 37CDTSD Daydreamer fiver
Mallard @ Frau Bl├╝cher

Red Green:
Now lets Bow your heads for the men's prayer.
I am a man, but I can change.
If I have to, I guess...

Buck3Cats

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/25/12 09:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am guessing your 09 F350 has a Gross Combined Weight Rating of 23,000 lbs. I would also guess the truck and Mobile Suite will exceed the GCWR rating before you start adding additional weight with everything you're going to put in the 5th wheel.

2012 F350SD/DRW/King Ranch Crew Cab/LWB
2009 Cedar Creek Custom 36RD5S
TrailAir Pin Box
Good Sam Life Member

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 05/25/12 09:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

donn0128 wrote:

Splashers3 wrote:

an exhaust brake ONLY if you travel though mountain areas with alot of long steep decends...otherwise, with your trailer's disc brakes you will be OK.

From an exhaust brake manufacturer rep - only need one if you travel through mts with long downhill stretches . Won't say which rep told my friend that when he wanted to buy one. We live in a relatively flat region.

Are you sure this person did not sell brake parts? An EB saves on service brakes. You know the old saying, once you go EB you'll never go back.

This one doesn't smell right. Anyone who has actually owned and used an EB wouldn't be without one, mountains or not. I use mine constantly even without the trailer in tow. It drastically saves on the brakes and just makes driving more enjoyable.
As others have said, once you have one you'll never be without it again.

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins (lightly bombed),
2004 Forest River 25RKS many, many mods.
POS H0NDA eu2000i

kirbybear

Ft. Lauderdale Fl USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/25/12 09:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am not sure you can put an exhaust brake on a 6.0,6.4 or 6.7 Ford ? Has anyone put an EB on these engines ?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Do I need duels, and do I need engine brake?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS