|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Folding Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Folding Trailers

> Towing with Honda Pilot 2WD

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Stumps

valley of Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 05/26/12 08:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

from my own research I'm not sure the 2WD Pilot is equipped to be used as a tow vehicle.

I got the touring - 4WD and it comes with the towing package - tranny cooler and bargman plug, etc. I don't think the 2WD comes with any of that.

just a thought...

2011 Honda Pilot
2009 Jayco 1207

Eat at Mary's Hot Tamales - Magnolia Ave, Knoxville, TN!

We'll See

IL

View Profile

Posted: 06/01/12 05:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tinacap wrote:

I am wondering if anyone is towing their pop-up trailer with a Honda Pilot 2WD vehicle? My Honda Odyssey has been an excellent tow vehicle with it's WD hitch, Prodigy brake controller etc. I am concerned that the specs on the Honda Pilot 2WD are not as good as the Odyssey. Looking at the 2012 Honda Pilot manual, it states that the 2WD model max tow is 2,000 lb. unless we add the optional ATF cooler which bumps it up to about 3,100 lb. for 4 people in the vehicle. The GVWR of the pop-up is 3072.

We were all set to go purchase the Pilot this weekend with all the great deals since it is a holiday weekend, but now I am concerned it won't be able to cut the mustard like our Odyssey which zipped up mountain passes.

Thank you.

The Ody's towing capacity just like the Pilot's is reduced the more people and/or weight you put in the vehicle. In general, the Ody and the Pilot had the same engine for the same year. Up until 2007, the trans was a bit stronger in the Pilot. The van is more stable because it has a lower center of gravity. Why are you not using your Odyssey or getting another?

1994 Flagstaff Cobra 206
2007 Honda Odyssey
2007 Chevy Trailblazer - 5.3 & 3.42

RinconVTR

Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 06/08/12 11:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tinacap wrote:

I am wondering if anyone is towing their pop-up trailer with a Honda Pilot 2WD vehicle? My Honda Odyssey has been an excellent tow vehicle with it's WD hitch, Prodigy brake controller etc. I am concerned that the specs on the Honda Pilot 2WD are not as good as the Odyssey. Looking at the 2012 Honda Pilot manual, it states that the 2WD model max tow is 2,000 lb. unless we add the optional ATF cooler which bumps it up to about 3,100 lb. for 4 people in the vehicle. The GVWR of the pop-up is 3072.

We were all set to go purchase the Pilot this weekend with all the great deals since it is a holiday weekend, but now I am concerned it won't be able to cut the mustard like our Odyssey which zipped up mountain passes.

Thank you.

You are comparing apples to apples (well, almost) and dont even know it!

Beside the fact the Ody is lower and longer, the two are idenitcal in nearly every way.

For towing, the Ody doesnt have a 3500 rating until you add a ATF and P/S cooler, just like the Pilot.

And the 2WD Pilot and Ody share engines AND trans. There is not a recognizable difference until you get into the Pilot 4WD.

In short, either one is really good for towing 3500 or less, but actually the Ody is better. You get better MPG, more space, and more stability, again because its lower and longer.

If there is one downside, its that the Ody's rear springs are very soft, where as the Pilots are too, but do not sag as quickly. This is an easy fix. Add air bags for $100, replace the springs ($300) or Monroe has replacements with spring helpers that have great feedback from those that tried them ($100).

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Folding Trailers

> Towing with Honda Pilot 2WD
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Folding Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS