|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> afordable satellite/cable

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Jagtech

Sunny Southern Alberta, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 05/28/12 08:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The absolutely cheapest is Free-to-air satellite, which I have been using with much satisfaction. You don't get all the networks, but I do enjoy PBS and similar channels, which are free, and LEGAL.
See FTA Channels for a complete listing.

1998 Triple E F53
1995 Jeep Wrangler toad

ClassAGeek

NYS

View Profile

Posted: 05/28/12 08:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In the days of VCR's, TV stations said you could not record their programs. Media companies still say you must buy separate copies of the same music and videos when using a different devices. They say 'ripping' CD's that you bought is illegal. Satellite companies say you follow their rules to the letter.

Maybe yes. Maybe no. More realistically, if you don't violate the DMCA, you are pretty safe.

Has anyone suggested OTA satellite content? It really is free.

Personally, I only have satellite for the kids. I get all video, print and music over Internet. I won't be going back.

----
Happy Ford F-53 Class A Owner (2008 Gulf Stream)
2010 Ford Fusion Toad (with 6 speed manual transmission - the only way to tow)
Brake Buddy Vantage, Blue Ox Aladdin Tow Bar,
TST RV 507 TPMS, Power Master Voltage Controller

bigdogger

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 05/28/12 09:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can screw the big companies all you want. Just remember all of us who play fair and play by the rules are paying for all the cheats. Don't worry, someday Karma will rear it's ugly head, and those of us who have done the right thing will be watching the others twist in the wind.

wallynm

Los Alamos NM

View Profile

Posted: 05/28/12 09:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

God knows I have done my share of dumb stuff but as I get older I try to do less. Now you know why it cost so much as they need to recover for all the cheaters out there

rv2go wrote:

About the cheapest satellite TV solution I know of is to have a family member or close friend that has Dish or Direct TV allow you to use one of their receivers. Pay them the monthly cost for the extra receiver. You will not be able to get the local channels while traveling, nor subscribe to the east/west feeds. You will get the feeds from the time Zone of the home service.

Have a Diesel Engine Diesel RV Club

Have a Freightliner Yahoo Group or FCOC Web Page

2002 DSDP 3567 PUSHED BY KITTY KAT

THOSE THAT DO NOT KNOW HISTORY ARE DOOMED TO REPEAT IT

FIRE UP

Lake Havasu City AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/28/12 10:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rv2go wrote:

About the cheapest satellite TV solution I know of is to have a family member or close friend that has Dish or Direct TV allow you to use one of their receivers. Pay them the monthly cost for the extra receiver. You will not be able to get the local channels while traveling, nor subscribe to the east/west feeds. You will get the feeds from the time Zone of the home service.

rv2go,
We've been doing that exact plan, for about 6 months now and it's worked pretty darn well. That is until our "Kingdome" just stopped finding the Satellite a few days ago. We've had on and off pretty good luck with this Kingdome but, it may have just given up the ghost and it's barely 4 years old. Not sure what we'll do next.
Scott

Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

howdy35

Athens, Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/28/12 10:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have Dish and when I talked to the tech about using it in the MH, he said just take the DVR with me and find the Sat and use it. I asked him about using it in Colorado and he said that I may not get local channels but it should work fine. Never said it was a problem using it away from home.

I am about to take it to my kids house, about 120 miles away and see how it works. Let you know in a couple of weeks. I have a used Dish antennae which my local guy said should work fine.

I have had Direct and would say Dish is the best Company to be with....Arnold

1999 National Tradewinds
2001 Honda Odyssey--Toad
Fulltime Wanabee

2oldman

Coachella

View Profile

Posted: 05/28/12 11:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rv2go wrote:

have a family member or close friend that has Dish or Direct TV allow you to use one of their receivers. Pay them the monthly cost for the extra receiver.
Hmm, let's see, I pay a monthly fee of around $100. Some friend asks me to let him use my spare receiver (that's just lying around collecting dust) for, what, $5 a month? I get to pay the $100, violate the terms of use, and he gets all my programming for $5.

Is THAT the plan we're talking about? I hope I never have a friend who would ever ask that of me.

John&Joey

Some Location

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/29/12 04:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

rv2go wrote:

have a family member or close friend that has Dish or Direct TV allow you to use one of their receivers. Pay them the monthly cost for the extra receiver.
Hmm, let's see, I pay a monthly fee of around $100. Some friend asks me to let him use my spare receiver (that's just lying around collecting dust) for, what, $5 a month? I get to pay the $100, violate the terms of use, and he gets all my programming for $5.

Is THAT the plan we're talking about? I hope I never have a friend who would ever ask that of me.

LOL, you just said what we were all thinking. With friends like that, who needs enemies.

To the OP, if you're going cheap then the best option is the batwing, HULU, Netflix's and Readbox or stay at a park with cable TV. At 5-10mpg the TV will the least of your money issues.

John&Joey

Some Location

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/29/12 04:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

chipndip wrote:

Didn't say anything about a contract. Just that the provider was being paid. I'm not sure breach of contract constitutes stealing.

Love to see that defense in front of Judge Judy. I can hear her now saying "does it say stupid on my forehead."

Jagtech

Sunny Southern Alberta, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 05/29/12 07:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Re: My previous post about Free-to-air satellite, and reference to "cheaters".. Please be aware that free-to-air satellite IS NOT CHEATING. It is free, as named, is legal (read the info on the web), and dishes/ receivers are available legally everywhere. There is nothing shady or illegal about FTA satellite reception. Try it, its great !

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> afordable satellite/cable
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS