RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Question on doors of Keystone Bullets...

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Question on doors of Keystone Bullets...

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
texasAUtiger

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 05/29/12 09:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

we spent several hours looking at the 2012 Bullets yesterday. We are pretty sure we want the 281BH.

A question we didn't think to ask the salesman until we were on our way back home: do the doors open more than 90 degrees? All the models we looked at yesterday, the door only opened to 90 degrees. I assumed they had it set to do that.

Could anyone clarify? Thanks!

DavidP

Raleigh

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/29/12 09:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most likely gas shock assisted and that is as far as they go unless you remove the shock.

texasAUtiger

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 05/29/12 09:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DavidP wrote:

Most likely gas shock assisted and that is as far as they go unless you remove the shock.

They definitely had gas shocks.

I find that weird: who wants a door that only opens 90 degrees?

DavidP

Raleigh

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/29/12 09:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have one on my front door but not back. I too was a little impartial towards it until using it several times. It is nice if you have kids. If the kids open the door the wind (we camp at the beach a lot) can catch the door if not prepared for it. With the shock assist there is no issue with a door flying open. If you do not like it you can remove the shocks and add the traditional stop/catch to the trailer and door. Ours is on the front where the bunks and bathroom are so there is no issue, in fact it provides a bit more privacy if the door is open. The rear does not have one so we can still open the door fully. In our case I like it on the front but would not want it on the rear. If you're layout is similar perhaps remove one and see how it goes. The industry is going this way and soon it will be tough to find a trailer without one.

* This post was edited 05/29/12 12:22pm by DavidP *

Andy F

St Cloud, MN

View Profile

Posted: 05/29/12 12:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a 2012 Bullet 281 BHS and we had some of your same concerns with the doors not opening past 90 degrees when we looked at it. What we've found, though, is the front door (wider than the rear door) is wide enough that you won't mind the fact the door doesn't open wider. Our kids haven't done any damage to it while its open as they load and unload so that speaks volumes--trust me on that!

We do really like not having to latch the doors open any longer, especially with the kids. They slammed our old TT's door up against the side of the TT many times in the four years we had it. You'll find the pluses by far out weight the minuses on the doors with the gas shocks. On our way home yesterday while parked for a bathroom break, the front door actually got blew gently and slowly shut in a very strong burst of wind as a line of strong thunderstorms nearby. The gas shocks on the doors work great.

On a side note--we also didn't find the bathroom's exterior door appealing at first. It wasn't something we were intentionally seeking out but it came with the floor plan which overall we found to be what we wanted. But we do really like the bathroom exterior/2nd door after four trips. Over Memorial Day weekend at MN's Wild River State Park which had very private wooded sites, I could sit on the toilet and do what needed to be done with the door open and stare out into the beautiful woods--felt like when I was younger and used my grandpa's old outhouse at the family cabin! The 2nd door is also really nice for ventilation after showers, toilet usage, etc. And its nice for stopping during road trips for bathroom usage.

Andy
2012 Keystone Bullet 281BHS
2004 Toyota Sequoia
ProPride 3P - what a hitch!

Nights camped in 2013=36
Nights camped in 2014=21 with 12 more planned
Our camping photos

texasAUtiger

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 05/29/12 01:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Andy F wrote:

We have a 2012 Bullet 281 BHS and we had some of your same concerns with the doors not opening past 90 degrees when we looked at it. What we've found, though, is the front door (wider than the rear door) is wide enough that you won't mind the fact the door doesn't open wider. Our kids haven't done any damage to it while its open as they load and unload so that speaks volumes--trust me on that!

We do really like not having to latch the doors open any longer, especially with the kids. They slammed our old TT's door up against the side of the TT many times in the four years we had it. You'll find the pluses by far out weight the minuses on the doors with the gas shocks. On our way home yesterday while parked for a bathroom break, the front door actually got blew gently and slowly shut in a very strong burst of wind as a line of strong thunderstorms nearby. The gas shocks on the doors work great.

On a side note--we also didn't find the bathroom's exterior door appealing at first. It wasn't something we were intentionally seeking out but it came with the floor plan which overall we found to be what we wanted. But we do really like the bathroom exterior/2nd door after four trips. Over Memorial Day weekend at MN's Wild River State Park which had very private wooded sites, I could sit on the toilet and do what needed to be done with the door open and stare out into the beautiful woods--felt like when I was younger and used my grandpa's old outhouse at the family cabin! The 2nd door is also really nice for ventilation after showers, toilet usage, etc. And its nice for stopping during road trips for bathroom usage.

Thanks for the input everyone. Based on your comments, we will not worry about the door now.

Andy, could you comment on your the towing experience with your set up, since mine would be somewhat similar (half ton pickup)?

LewBob

Lebanon, CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/29/12 08:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We wondered about the doors too when we were considering the Bullet 284RLS, but decided it'd be OK -- and they have been. They hold steady in moderate wind and the 90-degree limitation hasn't been a problem.

Lew
2011 Arctic Fox 22H
2012 Ford F-150 XLT SuperCrew 4x4 EcoBoost
"Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then." --Bob Seger (Against the Wind)

gregrc75

New Bedford, Massachusetts

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/30/12 06:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I considered taking the shocks off my door but then realized the front door would be up against the hot water heater vent and the back door would potentially break the kitchen window if it was open. Before you remove any shocks just look out for what it might open against. I like when you can open the doors fully but it hasn't been a problem with the shocks.

Now, what I miss is the clear slider on the screen door. I had that on my last trailer and the white plastic style always seems to be in your line of sight.

Greg and J
Sam - the Golden Retriever. Ben - the Yellow Lab
2011 Keystone Bullet Premier 28RLPR
2012 Nissan Titan SL CC

JoyceandSteve

Houston, Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/30/12 06:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My front door has a gas shock on it to prevent it fromm opening too far and hitting the awning brace. The rear door opens all the way.

Steve & Joyce
2011 Chevrolet 2500 Z71 4X4
2013 Montana High Country 343 RL
1996 Celebrity 200 Boat
2000 Yamaha 1200 LTD Waverunner
2012 Ford Mustang GT (Mama's ride)
Vítejte na víkend doma a Steve Joyce

carjocky

Northwest Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 05/30/12 08:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We purchased a Bullet 29rtpr with the gas shock door and I love it. No more banging against the side. No more latching. Carrying out stuff with your hands full is so much easier then trying not to drop the potato salad etc.

Jon
Ohio
2012 Keystone Bullet Premier 29RTPR
2009 Dodge Ram Crew Cab 1500 5.7 Hemi

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Question on doors of Keystone Bullets...
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS