|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> choosing between 2000 and 2001

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Emily_Eisenman

North Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 05/30/12 04:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello – my husband and I just sold our motorcycle and plan to sell our Class C Toy Hauler. We got the Toy Hauler thinking if we carried the motorcycle to other places we might ride it more, but all that did was get us hooked on RV-ing, so here we are!

We have looked at both Class C’s and Class A’s and have decided a Class A diesel pusher is where we want to be. One of our favorite floor plans is on the Bounder 39’ and we have been able to find some in nice condition in our price range ($40K-ish).

We’ve narrowed the choices down to two: one a 2000 and the other a 2001. Both are at the same asking price and are nearly identical in mileage, condition, etc. except the 2000 has the washer/dryer. We are not full-time so the washer/dryer is not a must-have for us. The 2001 owner is pretty firm on his price and the 2000 will flex a couple thousand.

My question to this group is – all things equal do we go with the unit one year newer, at possibly a thousand or two dollars more but no w/d? Seems like the way to go but I’d really like opinions and my reading/studying on this forum tells me you all are so helpful!

Thanks . . . .

Jack & Emily Eisenman
2004 Monaco McKenzie Rogue
Previous: 2000 Four Winds FunMover

bluwtr49

Green Valley, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/30/12 06:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Probably 1 year won't make a whit of differance. Go with what makes you feel good.

Dick

2000 40" DP Beaver Patriot Thunder Cat C-12 425 HP, 1550 Tq
2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland ---toad

Escargot

California

View Profile

Posted: 05/30/12 06:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The 2000 might have better re-sale / trade-in value if you ever want to get rid of it, given the washer dryer.

2006 Pleasure Way Plateau TS, MB Sprinter

rvrepairnut

bc

View Profile

Posted: 05/30/12 06:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Escargot wrote:

The 2000 might have better re-sale / trade-in value if you ever want to get rid of it, given the washer dryer.

Make sure the waher/dryer Vents outside the MH or their junk!!
some are vented and some are not.Just letting U know.I would save the 2-3 K and buy the cheaper one because both are level entry Motor homes to begin with.(EG) a 40Ft 2001 Beaver patriot is like $110K to buy

michelb

Ottawa, ON, Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/30/12 07:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Between the 2000 and 2001 Bounder Diesel, there are a few significant differences. The 2000 has a 4 speed Allison MT-643 transmission with T-shifter, the 2001 has a 6 speed Allison MD-3000 with pushbutton selector. You get slightly better mileage a bit smoother shifts with the 3000 but more importantly the engine brake in the 3000 is significantly better. The 3000 is also rated higher in case you ever want to modify the engine. The GVWR and GCWR were also increased by almost 2000 lbs in the 2001 while the base weight is almost the same. Those are pretty strong reasons to get the 2001 over the 2000. That said, once you are parked, it doesn't make any difference.

As far as the washer/dryer, we love having it but you can probably pick up a used set for about $500. Also if you are interested in the washer/dryer, newer models have a larger capacity so you might want to hold out for that anyway.

* This post was edited 05/30/12 07:49pm by michelb *

CampingJumble

San Diego

View Profile

Posted: 05/30/12 09:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

michelb wrote:

Between the 2000 and 2001 Bounder Diesel, there are a few significant differences. The 2000 has a 4 speed Allison MT-643 transmission with T-shifter, the 2001 has a 6 speed Allison MD-3000 with pushbutton selector. You get slightly better mileage a bit smoother shifts with the 3000 but more importantly the engine brake in the 3000 is significantly better. The 3000 is also rated higher in case you ever want to modify the engine. The GVWR and GCWR were also increased by almost 2000 lbs in the 2001 while the base weight is almost the same. Those are pretty strong reasons to get the 2001 over the 2000. That said, once you are parked, it doesn't make any difference.

As far as the washer/dryer, we love having it but you can probably pick up a used set for about $500. Also if you are interested in the washer/dryer, newer models have a larger capacity so you might want to hold out for that anyway.

That was super informative... Is there a link where you retrieved this information from?

Emily_Eisenman

North Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/12 04:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

michelb wrote:

Great information, thanks!

michelb

Ottawa, ON, Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/31/12 06:02am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CampingJumble wrote:

michelb wrote:

That was super informative... Is there a link where you retrieved this information from?

I've also been shopping for a used Bounder Diesel so was aware of the tranny difference already and just happened to noticed the GVWR/GCWR yesterday looking at the brochures which are available on Fleetwood's website (http://www.fleetwoodrv.com/library/ (Bounder Diesel is in their archive section))

If you decide to expand your search to 2002s there are a few other difference with that one: 50A service (although the 30A on 2001 and older did come with 'Energy Management System' (or something like that) so you could still run both ACs on 30A), larger (27") TV in front which is mounted above passenger seat (one could argue that this is a better position to watch it from the sofa), 10 gal LP/electric HWT (I think before it was 6 gal LP only) and optional Norcold 4 door fridge.

A few options I'd look for is a 2 door or 4 door side-side fridge (a must IMO), washer/dryer (although that's probably not terribly expensive to add) and diesel gen (2001 and before came with LPG and optional diesel although most probably have diesel) (if you don't plan to camp without hookups this is probably not an issue). Some also came with a dishwasher which I'd probably like having although I've never had one. DSS was also an option if that's important to you (again probably not terribly expensive to add (except for 'in-motion' ones which probably weren't an option until mid-00s) but I'm not 100% sure if Fleetwood 'roughs-in' the wiring so it might be a bigger job adding if it's not)

LVJ58

Las Vegas, Nevada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/31/12 10:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think I would go for the less expensive coach with the W/D then after buying it I'd remove and sell the W/D and convert the empty space to extra storage/wardrobe space.

Good luck with your choice.

Jim & Sherry Seward
Las Vegas, NV
2000 Residency 3790 V-10 w/tags & Banks System
2003 Suzuki XL/7 toad

wny_pat

Western NYS

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/12 10:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'd go with the 2001 solely because it has a 6 speed Allison MD-3000 with pushbutton selector. That transmission upgrade is well worth while. Not saying that the MT-643 isn't a good one, cause it is bullet proof, but the MD-3000 has so much more to offer like the exhaust brake being stronger and operating with the transmission.

“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> choosing between 2000 and 2001
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS