|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Driver side door

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
DKean

Mays Landing NJ.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/02/12 04:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't see many class A's with a driver side door. I think it is good to have a second door to get out in an emergency. Why aren't there more? Are they drafty or noisy (wind)?

We traded our truck and fifth wheel for a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4. (8-30-13)Haven't used them in almost a year.

travelzoo

NW

View Profile

Posted: 06/02/12 05:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have had two Class A with driver doors. One rattled when new and every adjust the dealer did only made it worst. I finally tried to adjust it, after several tries I managed to stop the rattle. No wind noise on either. I think once you have a drivers door the next rig you seem to want one.

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 06/02/12 05:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think that cost, using up usable space and safety are all factors working against a drivers door. The potential safety issues of exiting into traffic raise possible legal concerns. Of course every car has this factor but they are not 8' wide.

We could exit from every window in the rig if necessary.

2009 Holiday Rambler 42 Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
2004 Honda CR-V

Bob

frankdamp

Anacortes, or wherever we've gone.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/02/12 05:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I almost fell backwards out of ours when my right foot missed the "stirrup" step in the edge of the wheel arch. I managed to scramble back in rather falling head-first onto the concrete pad, but I needed sugery to repair a herniated disk in my lumbar spine a couple of months later.

I only use it now in an emergency or with a step ladder at home.

Frank Damp, DW - Eileen
Anacortes, WA

'02 Georgetown 325, F53, V-10.
Dogs - 2 Labs, both yellow males, both 10 yrs old and both adopted.

wildtoad

Blythewood, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/02/12 05:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some were an extra cost option. I've had two gas class A's that had them. Hard to get out of and to climb back in. My current unit does not have one and I do not miss it. The only time I found it useful was while working under the dash. They were a bit drafty.

Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2000 Hurricane 30Q

baileyjmad

Central Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/02/12 05:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have only one door but two of the windows are ID'd as emergency exits.

FC

Tavistock,Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/02/12 07:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I love the door on the drivers side of our MH. No problems with wind noise or rattles and it closes very tight. I also like the roll down drivers window which is very handy. For going through toll booths or for border crossings the roll down window is a big plus. I also like to drive with the window open some times, and the ability to leave it open a little at the top is a feature I enjoy. The passenger side window is a slider and does not offer the same options.
JM2CW

2003 Georgetown 346DS Ford F-53
2008 Pontiac G6 Toad, Blue Ox Aventa LX
Family Campers & RVers--- Come Camp With Us
www.fcrv.org

LadyRVer

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/02/12 06:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was very adamant that the first Class A we bought had a drivers door. Found it was pretty useless to me. Long way down, no screen on window if I wanted the window opened. Agree that it was good for working under the dash on drivers side. Next two Class A's, definitely not a priority. Almost all our windows are large enough to slide screen and we can get out either side of unit if door is blocked, but emer. exit in rear of Moho. Also a master key (readily available to almost everyone working at a RV dealership and their friends) can open that driver's door. I used an additional source of locking that door from the inside.

CT_WANDERER

E. Lyme, CT

View Profile

Posted: 06/02/12 05:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a driver side door, like one other post it is good for working under the dash. It is a long way down if using it for an exit. I used it once, rather use the side entry door easier to get in and out. Driver door door would be good in emergency. I would not make a driver door a make or break deal if I was out looking to buy.

Dutch_12078

Great Sacandaga Lake, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/02/12 08:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use the driver's door in my Coachmen regularly for fuel stops. It's also very handy for working under the dash and cleaning the driver area floor. I also like having the car like power window, rather than the slider that the passenger side has. To make finding the first step easier when exiting, I have its location marked on the door sill. While not having one would probably not be a deal killer when we look for a newer rig, having one would certainly be a plus.

Dutch
1995 Coachmen Catalina 322QBXL
F53 chassis, 460 V8, TST TPMS
Quadra Bigfoot EZE Levelers
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Driver side door
Search:   Advanced Search