|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Hydraulic slide or electric

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
ken burke

usa

View Profile

Posted: 06/09/12 10:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MPI_Mallard wrote:

donn0128 wrote:

Hydraulics are fine. Only issue might be a bad hose, costing you $. Whereas with electric slides you can loose a motor and it will cost you $$$.
YUPP!!!!Plus the hydraulics on my fiver run both slides and front and rear jacks which means instead of several electric motors with all their moving parts built by the cheapest manufacturer (China) i only have one simple electric fluid pump so if something goes haywire i know where to look!

On my Cedar Creek 34SB, the slides work on hydraulic pressure. The stabelizer jacks and landing gear work on electrical motors.

If you are set on a particular 5th wheel, you pretty much have to use the motive power that is on the unit.

ken

2011 Ford F-350 6.7 diesel, Crew Cab, LB, SRW, 4X4, White
Cedar Creek 34SB, 37 feet 5th wheel, Reese 20K Hitch
"So many questions, so little time."

seattlefirervr

Snohomish, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/09/12 10:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good question, but don't let this issue be the deal breaker. Cardinal is a VERY good quality RV, if you like the floorplan over all others, go with it! Most probable leak issues with Forest River comes from the hydraulic fluid tank being unsupported. Check to see if your hydraulic reservoir/tank is supported by an anchor strap. If not, request dealer too add a simple fix to tank.

2006 31' Wildcat QBH,Yamaha 3000EFi Generator

2000 Ford F250 Lariat PSD CC,SB,4WD,AT. aFe Megacannon Airfilter,4" Diamond I exhaust,Custom"Evergreen Diesel"chip,Autometer pillar gauges,BD Torque Converter,ATS Turbo Housing,Wicked Wheel,BD Exhaust Brake,

Duck

Miami Lakes, Fl

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/10/12 05:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have had both and have not had any problems with either one. Would not be a deal maker if I was purchasing a new fifth wheel.
Don

08-FORD F350 PSD
13 Bighorn 3055RL

kirbybear

Ft. Lauderdale Fl USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/10/12 07:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Look for knobs on top of the pump. Theses are the manual selector valve for the slides. They were optional on my 04 Cardinal.

netjam

Canadian on the road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/10/12 07:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98.....Rig with hydraulics was an Elite Suite by DRV. Electric (jacks, slides etc) is an Escalade by KZ.

cabanaman

florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/10/12 10:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

cabanaman wrote:

netjam wrote:

I have had both and would never get hydraulic again. Fluid leaks make a real mess. I had problems with solinoids and rams that were really hard to find. Many techs involved each with ideas on what was required to fix the problems...few of which were successful. With electric you replace motors or trace lines. You will get various opinions but this is mine.

I agree,my previous 5er had hydraulics and leaked all over the bedroom floor and the basement not even a year old.My current has 4 electric slides and is 5 1/2 years with no problems.

What brand was your last rig?

A 2004 Forest river sandpiper 28RK 2 slides and both of the rams leaked and the pump in the basement leaked.Also had the bad axles that had to be replaced.Otherwise it was very nice just too small for the wife to fulltime in.

Retired Navy
2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad cab 6.7 cummins,6 speed auto,exhaust brake. Emissions removed.
2007 Open Road 378SA4S-5,equa-flex and morryde X factor,wet bolt kit,michelin ltx M/S 2 tires

wls

Harrison, Mich. USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/12 06:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a FR Sandpiper, hyd, with single button for slides, (wish they were seperate), but never no problems with them, no leaks/breakeage what so ever, now my brother has a sunnybrook,(2006) he has went thru 3-4 eletric motors, and his labor to install now, even at campgrounds doing repair, he has it down pat now though. ours is a 2005, we use it alot. I like the hydralic ones, but if I liked a eletric slide model I would buy it, and have my fingers crossed.

Bernie
2008 Dodge 3500 Dually
2005 Sandpiper 335 RLT 37'

wittmeba

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/12 07:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hydraulic slides are still electric. The motor drives a pump rather than the drive motor for the rack and pinion. Hydraulic add the possibility of leaks.

Some of the newer hydraulic systems have isolation to allow control of a single area rather than all slides.

NRA Member & supporter of the 2nd amendment - over 5,000,000 strong

Firefox® 26.0.1

Log home images - Updated 05/19/2013

jnharley

Anywhere, U.S.A.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/11/12 09:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our Hitch Hiker has both types of slides. The bedroom and kitchen slides are electric and the entertainment area and big dining room slide are hydraulic. Each slide has its own control so they can be deployed one at a time. Would not like it if they all deployed at once.

2012 Dodge Dually
2012 Nu WA Discover America 355CK

laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/11/12 01:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

netjam wrote:

I have had both and would never get hydraulic again. Fluid leaks make a real mess. I had problems with solinoids and rams that were really hard to find. Many techs involved each with ideas on what was required to fix the problems...few of which were successful. With electric you replace motors or trace lines. You will get various opinions but this is mine.

I agree. I worked on too d*mn many tractors and implements over the years, and had too many "hot oil baths", to want to deal with hydraulics on something I use for recreation. :-)

Lyle

2002 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax Crew Cab 4x4
Banks Bullet Tuner and Monster Exhaust
B&W Turnover Ball with 5th Wheel Companion
2004 Komfort 25FSG Fifth Wheel
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 55 Year Member

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Hydraulic slide or electric