RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Power surge...lesson learned.

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Power surge...lesson learned.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
daveshan

Durango Colrado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/11/12 07:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lobstah wrote:

I've spoken with the park electrician. He said that if someone takes a 3-pronged 120v plug, and cuts the prong off then plugs it in reversed, that will cause this. So far, 4 campers affected. The guy with the surge protector also lost a VCR. My AV receiver just got added to the list.

Jim

past-MIdirector wrote:

I've never heard of reversing a plug causing this and if it was it would only affect the unit it was plugged into not units around them. Today plugs are designed not to be able to be plugged in that way. I think he was just making something up so no one blames the park.

Absolutely true, there is no way a reversed 120 plug could have caused it.

'99 Alpine 36SDS/8.3 ISC 330 Cummins
Or
'05 Lance 845
'06 Super duty SC/SB 6.0
Upgrades include: StabilLoads, Air Bags & Timbrens,Swaybars

Usually towing an '01 Wrangler, lifted/locked on 35"s or a mildly built '98 Cherokee on 33"s (only one locker)

Lobstah

Northeast

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/12 07:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

He's not trying to get the park off the hook, he already stated he thinks the insurance will cover everything.
He also said that when a cord is plugged in that way, it creates a "floating" neutral, and that's what puts 230 out on the line.

Not my issue.

Jim

2005 Pace Arrow 36D
Very Understanding Wife
2 Boxers
4 Cats

daveshan

Durango Colrado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/11/12 08:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jim, the bottom line is a 120 plug, even with the ground cut off will not physically fit in the receptacle that has 240 available so there is no way for it to cause a floating ground or 240v feedback anywhere.

ryanallie1

Magalia, Calif

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/11/12 08:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bumpyroad wrote:

be sure to order a multi function surge protector. not the $90- jobby.
sorry for your problem but time and time again posters here report, "I have camped for 40 years and never had one and never needed one".
bumpy

Hi All.

X2. You just have to love those that say they have never needed one, and won't buy one either.

Thats OK, as its everyones choice to do as they please. But in real life, it only takes one time to Fry a lot of things in RV's, for what ever the reason that caaused it.

We have had our "Protable Surge Protecter" for many years now. Acutally we bought ours when they first came out. Has it helped us in any way yet. "Yes" it has, has a couple of times, but thats another story.

We think its some pretty cheap insurance to have with you. And another thing, a lot of RV'er "Do NOt Do" is to check thier Power Sorce, "Before" they plug in their RV's.

In the past 45+ years as RV'ers, we have run into our fiar share of badly wired Out-Lets in Campgounds.

Todays RV's have a lot more Electronics and Circuit Boards for everything. Not like some of the Oldie But Goodies RV's of Yesterday.

Nobody blinks an eye when they spend what ever amount of money they paid on their RV's. But won't spend anything to help Protect thier RV's.

But as I said, its everyones choice to do as they please. And I wish everyone, "Good Luck" and hope no one ever has a Power Problem.

Good Luck. Happy Travels. Dan & Jill

1998-33.5 Rexhall, Rexair SL. 460 EFI. F-53. 7.3 MPG. TST TPMS. HWH Levelers. 5.5G Gen. Convection/Microwave Water Purifier/Water Softner. 2 A/C's. Alarm Systems. Honda EU2000i's W/Kit. Steer-Safe. CR-V W/SMI System. FMCA #F414397 Nam-Vet, 66-67-68&70-71

Larry Cohen

Mobile, AL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/11/12 08:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have ALWAYS believed in good power protection like the Progressive stuff and it has saved me from high and low voltage issues along with an open neutral....I have since added a Hughes Autoformer before the Progressive as I have had to run my genny on a site for over 6 hours last summer due to 102 V...Progressive kept shutting me down....that's when I decided on an autoformer!

2006 Mountain Aire 43
Short haired wife, long haired daschund and 3 sugar gliders are co-pilots, along with Garmin Nuvi 855
05 Honda Pilot with Air Force One supplemental brake
Blue Ox Aventa II towbar
Whirlpool Residential Fridge !!!

trickyvic3

Raymond NH.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/11/12 08:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey guys,
I have a question regarding this issue. I have the EMS system on our 07 Discovery MH.

Would I still need a surge protector on top of that? I sure would hate to have something like this happen to us.

Vic

M GO BLUE

Southgate, MI

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/12 08:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A multi-function surge protector is the only way to go...it will fully protect your RV from whatever...if the surge protector shuts off the power to your RV there is a reason...don't then go and plug the RV cord directly into the power pedestal bypassing the surge protector (yes I have seen and heard about this more than once)...

I would rather be replacing a multi-function surge protector then to be replacing all the electronics in my RV...

TO THE OP...I bet there is more electronics fried in your RV then you think...check everything

* This post was edited 06/11/12 08:55am by M GO BLUE *

2005 Chevy Silverado 3500 dually CC/LB Duramax/Allison
2008 Jayco Designer 35RLTS fifth wheel
Onan 5500W Marquis Gold gas generator (HGJAB - 1038D)

RVROSE

Chardon, OH

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/12 09:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Seems like nothing is ever easy. I had a Hughes Autoformer blow up on me last summer. Some things got fried, some things didn't. I've heard that Hughes is very good with their repairs etc. but I don't ever want one in my coach again. This lesson was tough enough. But, I should step up to the plate and investigate a good surge protector.

2005 Kountry Star with a 4 cyl. Saturn Vue with stick shift.
Mike and Rose and Pepper, our All-American black lap dog.

CANAMKID

SAINT CLOUD,MN.

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/12 09:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've heard that when your out in the sp the chipmunks will come by for a snack, no snack no power

CanAmKid

Lobstah

Northeast

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/12 09:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've checked everything I can think of...all seems good at this point. DW is over filing the report now.

Will post the outcome when we know...probably won't be for some time to come.

Jim

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Power surge...lesson learned.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS