|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> "Jack" tv antenna

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
LVTOCMP

Green Bay,Wis.

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/12 11:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a Jck antenna on my new 5th wheel. If I am camping more then 35 miles from a main city with tv stations I get very poor reception. Is anyone else having this problem with the Jack antenna

Jerry

Jerry

wildtoad

Blythewood, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/11/12 12:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just swapped my old (2000) Winegard for a Jack, have not been on the road with it yet. All I know is with the Winegard in my front yard I was getting 14 stations and when I installed the Jack the number went to 28. Some good some not so good. I see what happens when I go camping at the end of the month.

Did you have a previous unit to compare it to? Are you in amongst a lot of tree's?

Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2000 Hurricane 30Q

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/12 12:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would suggest checking to insure that you have 12 volts DC going to the antenna head. Start by checking power unit to make sure it is turned on and the LED lights. If no light, locate power source. Some of the power units have a fuse on back side. If comes on use a meter to check for power on coaxial cable at the head.

Bud
USAF Retired
Suzuki XL7 pushing Pace Arrow

Polishnurse

Schodack, NY

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/12 12:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My old rig had the Wineguard crank up, the new rig has the Jack. I'll go on to say that the Jack is as close to having nothing at all. I do better with hanging wire out the side of the RV then using that. About the only two advantages, 1. You can't forget to put it down. When your close enough to a TV tower it's fine. Move to out side of 35 miles and you got nothing. And Yes I know all about the Amp. and the fine tuning. JM2Cents Bill

NHIrish

White Mountains NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/12/12 06:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I replaced my signal commander (winegard knock off bat wing) with a jack and experienced a big improvement in bringing in fringe channels. I agree that it sounds like you are not powered up.

2010 Carriage Cameo 32FWS
2011 Chevrolet 3500 DMAX ECLB
B&W Companion

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock

LVTOCMP

Green Bay,Wis.

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/12 05:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I once again had a chance to look into my antenna issue. I see the red light is on in the head of the unit. I also have blue lights on at the ceiling inside . I took the cover off at the ceiling. I have 2 coaxial connections on the electronics board. One connection has a small black wire plugged into it. The other connection has nothing on it. Should there be a coax cable from my antenna amplifier plugged into the other connection.
My son has my old trailer. That trailer has the bat wing antenna installed. When we camp together he gets more channels then I do.

johnvb

Virginia Beach /Virginia/USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/13/12 07:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have the Jack (not the add-on), came OEM with my 5th wheel. One thing I know for sure is you don't want for it to get in a fight with a tree limb, the limb will always win.

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/12 07:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

By this manual you should have two coaxial cable and a small power supply cable plugged into the power injector.
Did you disconnect the power from the old Winegard antenna wall plate? Look at warning top of page 1.
Jack antenna manual

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> "Jack" tv antenna
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS