|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Do It Yourself Modifications a...

Open Roads Forum  >  Do It Yourself Modifications and Upgrades (DIY)

> Low priced leds, fast shipping

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 14  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Kountryguy

Emery,SD

View Profile

Posted: 06/15/12 07:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wish they made them with a BA15S adapter so I could just plug into replace my 1141 bulbs

JiminDenver

Denver, Co

View Profile

Posted: 06/15/12 09:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kountryguy wrote:

I wish they made them with a BA15S adapter so I could just plug into replace my 1141 bulbs

I searched ebay for that base, led, warm white and got 4 pages.

clicky

There is lots more in bright white including one that has 120 SMD LEDs for $5. I might just change the scare lights socket.

2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2007/2003 Ford Expedition
720w solar with three Eco-worthy controllers.
345 ah bank.
Champion 3500/4000 w/ remote start.

nstate

usa

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/12 09:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Any idea how these will handle the higher charger voltages from our chargers(14vdc+) yet?

JiminDenver

Denver, Co

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/12 11:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

nstate wrote:

Any idea how these will handle the higher charger voltages from our chargers(14vdc+) yet?

That may be a issue and you may need to get the other type that limits the voltage.
I can get away with these because I run a genny in the day and the lights at night, so no voltage issues there.

JiminDenver

Denver, Co

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/12 12:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

nstate wrote:

That may be a issue and you may need to get the other type that limits the voltage.
I can get away with these because I run a genny in the day and the lights at night, so no voltage issues there.

Dave-Sparky

Woodinville, Washington

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/17/12 01:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Back in August of last year (2011) this same question came up, so being an electronics engineer I decided to run some tests. The results are presented in this post.

Test Result Link

As you can see I ran the test package up to 17 volts. While I would not recommend doing that extensively (they did get hot to the touch) they survived the test and are still in service with no failures.

I have converted all of my interior fixtures (15) to the LED panels and have had no failures to date with about 200 days in service. (Over the winter I parked the trailer at a friend's house that they were rebuilding and they lived in it for 5 months.)

Dave

* This post was edited 06/21/12 02:59pm by Dave-Sparky *

Dave and Colleen
Colleen's Beach House
1991 Dutchman TT 24FK
2002 GMC Safari AWD

JiminDenver

Denver, Co

View Profile

Posted: 06/21/12 11:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are up using both sets of leds and are very happy. No failures yet.

JLTN_James

Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/21/12 02:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I converted all five lights in my pop-up to LED this year and like the results. I chose a blue color because it feels brighter to me than the warm white lights. I used the 3M VHB tape too and it works flawlessly, but I stuck the VHB to the white tape the LED's came with and that's starting to fail. Next time I use the pop-up I will remove the white stuff and replace with VHB.

Another idea I have is to put a small wedge under two of them to direct more light into the middle of the trailer. It gets pretty dim in the middle, especially when I'm washing dishes at the galley. I got this idea when one of the LED panels came loose and ended up at an angle against the fixture lens. It cast light right where I needed it! Time to make it permanent! I'll try to post pics for those interested. In the mean time, here's the LED pics:

2004 Toyota Tundra SR5 (V8, 4WD, TP, TRD)
2005 Fleetwod Allegance with axle flip
Honeywell 2000i Generator

Me, DW, DS, DD, & Chicken-Dog

JiminDenver

Denver, Co

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/12 09:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you for the test Dave.

After using ours for 10 days boondocking, I have to say I'm thrilled. We have used the small battery lights for 25 years and it was so nice just hitting a switch and not worrying about it.

We used the 9 SMD LEDs more than the panels. Two of the double fixtures stayed on for 4 hours every night most nights. Above the dinette the brighter panel was good but any where else they were over kill honestly.

I did get a look at the scare light and its the right base to try a 120 LED bulb for $5. The incandescent in it only lights the awning area and it's dark in the boonies. Should any of you have a suggestion....

Oh yeah, I turned on all 16 lights in the TT last night for pictures. It gave me a headache.

jtrent6415

Omaha

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/12 07:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks JiminDenver, I ordered just one light and got it in the mail today, I am going to test it out in the next week or so. And it is YOUR thread that got me to try it!

2011 Keystone Passport 2910BH
2005 Ford F-250 King Ranch (yes, the dreaded 6.0)
2004 Suburban 1500

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 14  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Do It Yourself Modifications and Upgrades (DIY)

> Low priced leds, fast shipping
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Do It Yourself Modifications a...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS