|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Open Roads Forum  >  Class B - Camping Van Conversions

> Any regrets going with a B

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
GizmosMom

Central Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/12/12 08:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Years ago we went from a Class C to a...tent. Then back to a Class B. While our C had a queen bed over the cab, the double bed in the "bedroom" was not comfortable.

We like the two twins-turned-into-a-king bed in the back of our B. Everyone who looks at our B says "that is really all you need."

We have never gone over 16 days camping in it, however. When we arrive home I am always amazed that our master bath is larger in square feet than our B.

Beats sleeping on the ground in a tent (although we really enjoyed tent camping except for setting everything up) and also beats having to store the RV and our B is our second vehicle.

Marilyn w/ Joe, 2000 Xplorer Class B van, usually pulling a Ranger bass boat.
Smudge, (in photo) a Shih Tzu/Yorkie Mix and Gizmo is waiting at the Rainbow Bridge

Islandman

NW Washington

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/12 09:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We've had our PW Excel for five years now and really enjoy the driveability, ease of parking, gas mileage, and being able to store it here at home. Went from a smaller Holiday Rambler Class A, and yes it was great when you got to where you were going; nice bed, bigger kitchen, bigger bathroom. But the ease of driving the PW most anywhere, especially in heavy traffic, has us well satisfied with our choice. There are some smaller Class C units that are also quite good if a Class B is too small for you. A used Chinook is worth looking at and the Born Free Class C's are excellent also.

Handbasket

Asheville, NC

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/12 06:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I started out before retirement thinking I wanted to have a cheap way to tour all the cities, scenic places, museums, and battlefields I'd never seen. I was picturing a hightop van with a bed & ice chest, so I could sleep in campgrounds in mild weather. While looking for that online, I suddenly discovered that I could get a van with 'everything'... generator, A/C, furnace, toilet, shower, kitchen! Wow!

I bought one Roadtrek, then swapped it for another, better-driving one. Happy! I did a lot of touring that first few years, and discovered so many other uses for it as well. Never imagined that a vehicle could be the key to a whole new lifestyle. But there was still something lacking, tho' I really didn't realize it at the time.

In response to a question posted here 6 1/2 years ago, I went down to Columbia SC one winter day to check out Provan's Tiger. It was no big deal to take a 400 mile trip in my RT. I wasn't doing anything in particular, and I could sleep comfortably in a rest area the one night I'd be gone. I saw the Tiger, and took a test drive. At 19', it would fit pretty much where a B would. Same appliances and equipment. Gas mileage wasn't much worse. It felt more open and airy. Nothing stealthy about it, tho. But to a gearhead who'd had and used 4x4's almost all his adult life, the extra mobility and ground clearance looked awfully good. And the pickup cab fit me so much better. I reported back here, answering the lady's question. Then two weeks later I was back down there, making a deposit on one. I'm still very happy with it, and would buy another without hesitation. But it's undoubtedly a C, even if it is a C-Minus.

No regrets about the B's. They led me to something that suits my particular needs that little bit better.

Jim, "Mo' coffee!"

'06 Tiger CX 'C Minus' on a Silverado 2500HD 4x4, 8.1 & Allison (aka 'Loafer's Glory')

gemsworld

Sunny Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/12/12 09:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Seamutt wrote:

We were considering a class A, 30-32 feet but are now looking at B's. I have read about those going from A's, fifth wheels to a B and liking it. Anyone with regrets going to a B and why?

We like to tour and not stay in one place for long. Size, I can park it in out condo complex so saving storage fees. Can easily do double duty as a second vehicle when needed. Seems it would be more convient for spur of the moment trips.

Check with your condo complex to make sure they will allow you to park a Class B RV in the complex. Many HOAs have rules against parking RVs within the complex, even if they are van conversions and can fit in a regular parking spot. Typically, any vehicles with holding tanks or a propane tank are forbidden by some HOAs.

MelinProv

Utah

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/12 10:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No regrets I love my B but I did feel out of place once parking in a line of large class A Buses-kind of funny to see several of them next to mine in a resort type park in Vegas

NCWriter

North Carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/13/12 06:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No regrets whatsoever.

We bought our B 18 months ago and have made six trips so far, longest seven weeks to Utah and 4 corners region. Leave next week for two months. In between it is in our driveway and we use for second vehicle ...our HOA bans RVs but not vans.

We spent two years going to RV shows, drove a C, looked at dealerships. Studied brochures. Considered every type RV or trailer. Finally a great low mileage used B turned up 5 miles from our house and followed us home. Meant to be.

We've traveled the world and now are traveling our own country and Canada. I love the simplicity of the B..less stuff to deal with and drag you down. Less to clean, pack, unpack. Easy for both of us to drive.

Love the speed and ease of arrival, departure, jaunts for sightseeing and back to campsite. Everything handy for snack, lunch or change of weather. Love setting up our "outdoor living room" in five minutes. Low stress.

The simplicity of using and owning the B is probably the reason we use it so much.

2006 Leisure Travel Van Free Spirit Sprinter

juliev

SE Minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/12 09:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our only regret is that there are only two seat belts, so the Mother in Law can't come along...... (not really, but that's what we tell her)

Julie

Shearwater

NE Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/12 09:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No regrets at all after 80,000 miles. The van might not have everything we want but certainly has everything that we need.

However, sometimes I am envious of Handbasket's Tiger with its high ground clearance and 4 wheel drive.

Coalminer UG

Nakusp BC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/13/12 07:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a Pleasure Way Class B. I traded it in on a Itasca Cambria Class B
+. I am now looking at going back to a Class B. We used ours one winter in Arizona and survived very well.They are easy to drive and park and had every convience as the big units had. If I do trade to go back, I will also buy a small fiberglass trailer to tow when we have company etc. Company will consist of family or friends. My trailer that I would look at would be a fixer upper.

Ches

Served In Canadian Army 1PPCLI

Retired Underground Coal Miner (Gen Foreman)

OldRadios

Upstate New York

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/13/12 06:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are going the other direction as ours replaced a tent. I have a small B (19' van) and it's perfect for me and the dog. I like the ability to park and drive it anywhere we tent camped. My wife and I do a lot of canoing and kayaking and an RV campground is not really for us. We go to get away from people and noise. My wife would like a larger type C for the room. I think we will eventually compromise and go with a little larger Ford Chinook type B+.

2006 Fleetwood 26Q
2003 Harley Superglide Toad
Upstate (the other) New York

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class B - Camping Van Conversions

> Any regrets going with a B
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS