RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Folding Trailers: Carefree of Colorado awning bag replacement

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Folding Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Folding Trailers

> Carefree of Colorado awning bag replacement

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
vladio

lancaster

View Profile

Posted: 07/03/12 12:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just called Bear Creek. I would have to remove the awning and send it to them. They'll make a new bag and sew it on. I didn't ask how much but would think it would take close to a month to have this done. Will probably hold off till the off-season.

vladio

lancaster

View Profile

Posted: 07/03/12 12:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just checked back. $60 for the repair. Damn, I should of asked if that included shipping back... I'll bet not.

AZJIM1

Phoenix, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 07/04/12 09:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You might look for a local tent and awning place . . . I have had two different repairs done at two different tent and awning places and have been very happy and thought that they were pretty reasonable.

I had the zipper replaced on my bag awning about 5 or 6 years ago at a local awning & tents place. They knew exactly what I was talking about on the phone and put in a bigger zipper and it has worked great ever since.

This year I had a zipper fail on one of my vinyl windows on the popup and ended up having to have the whole window and zipper replaced. Made a couple of calls and everybody all recommended a local Tent & Awning place. They did a great job and it works as good as new now.

P.S. Our old Coleman had Bear Creek Canvas on it and I was very impressed with the workmanship and materials.

1999 Coleman Westlake that replaced STOLEN!!! 1987 Coleman Sequoia
2006 Honda Odyssey
Me, Wife, Daughter, Son
A Pack (Two) of Australian Shepherds
MY CAMPSITE, PLACES WE HAVE SEEN, CAMPER & MOD PICS HERE
and
MY CAMPSITES MAP HERE

bondebond

Searcy, AR

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/12 03:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I hear you on the "less expensive option" part! $150 here just to resew it...that's not even talking a new bag.

This space left intentionally.

2006 Fleetwood Sequoia and mods...one of the tallest highwall pop-ups on the planet after flipping the axle.

vladio

lancaster

View Profile

Posted: 07/19/12 09:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a wide format printing biz and a less expensive option that I find is taking it to my banner finisher. They sew/hem banners for me that are made out of a similar material. They hem an entire banner for $12. Said if I got the bag to bring it in and they could sew it all together. They even have a Stainless D ring to use instead of the corrosive metal D ring that was used originally and rusted.

Call your local sign shop and ask if they know of someone that can sew this type of material. You might find something similar and less expensive. $150 just to sew sounds salty.

vladio

lancaster

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/12 11:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The local shop wants $200 to remake the awning bag. I was just looking to see if there was a less expensive option.

Tarponteaser

Space Coast Florida

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/12 08:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've got an 06 Starcraft PUP with the basic bag awning. The bag is not falling apart yet, but the 3 ribbons that tie up the awning before zipping up the bag have rotted away. A bit shorter each atime we camped, now there is nothing to tie together.

What is the best method to secure the awning now? I have not taken the bag off to inspect things, but I was considereing getting some 1" nylon webbing and buckles to cinch up the awning. The question lies in how to attach the webbing....the old tie strap was probably sewn on, I'll need to take the awning off and check things out.

In the meantime, if anyone has done this repair before please advise what you did.

Thanks

2006 Centennial 3606
2008 F-250 4X4 PSD King Ranch Crew Cab

JLTN_James

Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/31/12 09:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tarponteaser wrote:

I've got an 06 Starcraft PUP with the basic bag awning. The bag is not falling apart yet, but the 3 ribbons that tie up the awning before zipping up the bag have rotted away. A bit shorter each atime we camped, now there is nothing to tie together.

What is the best method to secure the awning now? I have not taken the bag off to inspect things, but I was considereing getting some 1" nylon webbing and buckles to cinch up the awning. The question lies in how to attach the webbing....the old tie strap was probably sewn on, I'll need to take the awning off and check things out.

In the meantime, if anyone has done this repair before please advise what you did.

Thanks

If I was in your situation, I'd consider putting in some velcro instead of nylon straps with buckles. You can get the double sided velcro straps here. Cut to length & sew on.

I don't have any straps on my awning bag; I just hold it in place while the DW starts to zip up the bag. Once the bag is zipped up about 2' the awning stays put.

2004 Toyota Tundra SR5 (V8, 4WD, TP, TRD)
2005 Fleetwod Allegance with axle flip
Honeywell 2000i Generator

Me, DW, DS, DD, & Chicken-Dog

vladio

lancaster

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/13 09:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've been talking to the Mrs about getting this job taken care of and now seems like a good time to do it. The bag's barely hanging on as of our last trip at Halloween last year. I can pull it off and ship it now without missing it. Summer's coming and camping season will be here before we know it (smiling like a butcher's dog) so I'd like to get'r done.

Has anyone tried Bear Creek? How was the quality of the bag and sew job? What was the shipping like? Having the experience, any advice?

Thanks so much for your input in advance! Here's to the fast approaching camping season of 2013!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Folding Trailers

> Carefree of Colorado awning bag replacement
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Folding Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS