|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Toy Haulers

Open Roads Forum  >  Toy Haulers

> NON WW - 16" Wheel Upgrade

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
1slomofo

Corona

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/12 02:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Been seeing so many threads spread across multiple forums about upgrading to a 16" Wheel and LT tire combo on the Weekend Warrior trailers. I know this is becuase the abnormally small tolerances on the wheel wells etc....

BUT what about recommendations for other trailers. Anyone upgrade the wheels on a Eclipse Attitude TH for instance?

Is there anything I should know when shopping for a wheel? Anything that WONT work? besides the obvious bolt pattern any other specs to worry about?

-2010 Mosebilt 2-seater Long Travel Sand Car
-2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Duramax
-2007 Eclipse Attitude 25AK
-2006 Kawasaki Kfx400
-1984 Wife

nayther

Burbank, CA

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/12 03:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1slomofo wrote:

Been seeing so many threads spread across multiple forums about upgrading to a 16" Wheel and LT tire combo on the Weekend Warrior trailers. I know this is becuase the abnormally small tolerances on the wheel wells etc....

BUT what about recommendations for other trailers. Anyone upgrade the wheels on a Eclipse Attitude TH for instance?

Is there anything I should know when shopping for a wheel? Anything that WONT work? besides the obvious bolt pattern any other specs to worry about?

Zero offset is required on trailers. Then measure clearance and go see your favorite tire guy, a knowledgeable tire store should be able to help you pick out some wheels and tires that will fit. By adjusting the height/width of the tire you should be able to maintain adequate, if not the same, clearance.

DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
'06 3005 Rage'n Falcon

BobWanderer

Perris,Calif,USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/12 05:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^^^
What He said.

Or spend some time online and download the specs on tires your interested in and compare to what you have now.

2008 GMC 2500HD 4X4 DMAX CC
2004 Thor Wanderer Wagon 247WTB
2006 TE450 Husky
2007 Rhino Sport Edition

mapguy

Puget Sound

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/12 05:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

0 offset and make sure the wheel is rated high enough for your tires.

Trailer wheels are usually rated for more weight capacity than typical Pickup wheels especially in 6 lug pattern. This is real important if you have 5200 or 6K axles and 15" wheels. Check your Federal Certificate on the front lower left sidewall for axle size and minimum tire capacity needed before buying anything. The tire capcity state is the minimum needed -no matter if you choose LT or ST type tires.

Discount/Americas Tire can get any trailer wheel in the GreenBall lineup. Many options in steel or aluminum! Another option is Nuera Trailer parts online

Pick your posion -Steel or Aluminum here!

http://www.nueratrailerparts.com/c-3005-16.aspx

1slomofo

Corona

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/12 05:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice! Great posts guys. Biggest bit of info is the 0 offset. Muay Importante and makes perfect sense.

Really leaning towards alum.

Really wish they would not slack on the life or death parts of these trailers.. i got 5500 lb axles with 15" wheels and load D tires. Its litterally getting down the the abolute max weight within 100lbs... thats just too close for me.

dianaw

s.california

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/12 07:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I now have a set (4) 16" 8x6.5 wheels off my cyclone for sale. ~1.5 years old. I just upgraded to 17.5".

bobberdob

Arizona

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/12 09:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dianaw,
What was your reason for going to a 17.5 tire? Have you had problems with your 16's? We remember you from the show at the Fairplex when you bought your trailer. We were the other couple looking at your trailer. We ended up ordering a new 3010. We have not had tire problems yet but have broken a spring. I would highly recommend carrying an extra spring pack or two as they are very hard to find. Also upgrade with an HD hardware kit and install a wet bolts. We broke ours on the freeway on the way to Glamis and had to go to Yuma AZ to pick up another after setting up camp. We upgraded since to a spring pack that contains an extra leaf that adds an extra 500lbs capacity to each spring set.

dianaw

s.california

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/12 10:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We ended up with an air leak in one tire (small & fixable) but we managed to cut a side wall in a pot hole in another (same weekend). Since we had to buy a new tire anyways we went with the extra load capacity and just bought these. We had to get new rims for them as well, hence the extra rims we now have. Other then that we haven't had any real problems with the towmasters. Just keep them max pressure and balanced.

I'd like to do another leaf spring as well, but next in works is disk brakes.

Doug

dianaw

s.california

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/12 10:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

http://www.trailertiresandwheels.com/

"h" rated tires 16ply 215/75r17.5 4805lbs load truck tires. I just installed tonight, pretty beefy.

bobberdob

Arizona

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/12 09:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Doug,
Where did you buy from and what size and load rating did you get if I may ask. Do you have a link?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Toy Haulers

> NON WW - 16" Wheel Upgrade
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Toy Haulers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS