RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Generator and 6v batteries?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Generator and 6v batteries?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
shelby17

Home

View Profile

Posted: 06/15/12 06:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am fairly new to Class A's and Generators, etc. I have a 35' Bounder with an Onan 7000 Marquis generator in the furthest drivers side compartment. The coach batteries are two 6 volt batteries in a drivers side compartment closest to the front. A couple of questions I have 1) Why are the coach batteries two 6 volts , and not two 12 Volts or even one 12 volt.
2) I took my multimeter and tested both batteries not cranking and they were 6.18 each, is that really enough battery power to easily start the generator? I believe I hear the inverter every time I start the coach, but still have yet to find it. Do I need to charge both 6 volt batteries, they seem to really work if at all to start this Generator.

Obviously I am not an electrical guy.

Cheers

YC 1

Yuba City Calif./ Auburndale Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/15/12 07:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Six volt batteries are just bigger buckets of marbles (electrons). Heavier plates etc. Your voltage is very low on those two if your meter is accurate. You should see 12.7 fully charged. It should turn the generator over easily if it is connected to those and they are fully charged. If you have an inverter (12 volts to 110 volts) that should be turned off. That is to supply 110 to various low load circuits when the generator is not running or not plugged in. The Converter converts 110 volts to 12 volts to charge your batteries and supply 12 volt circuits which is most of your lights.

H/R Endeavor 2008
2013 Ford Edge toad
Full Timers

MrWizard

Traveling

View Profile

Posted: 06/15/12 08:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

where the Generator is HAS nothing to do with where the batteries are located or how they charge
the generator creates 120vac
the batteries need 14vdc applied to them from the converter/charger
the converter takes 120vac from the generator OR from external shore power and creates 14vdc to charge the batteries
now 'generally speaking' the closer the batteries and the converter are to each other the faster the batteries will charge

RV's have 12vdc electrical systems and the (2) 6v batteries are wired in series to make a 12v battery ( just like sticking (2)'C' cells in a flashlight to make 3v )

your 12v house battery is in TWO pieces, making it easier to install or remove
this also allows the internal structure to be heavier so the batteries last longer IF properly cared for

* This post was edited 06/15/12 08:55pm by MrWizard *

Options, always have options, and the journey goes much smoother

Connected thru Verizon with HotSpot WiFi using a Samsung Galaxy Nexus

bob213

Fresno, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/15/12 07:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You must think of the 6 volt batteries a one BIG 12 volt. Two 6 volts will have more amp hours than 1-12 volt or most times even 2-12 volts. At 6.18V each you are not in bad shape. Measure the voltage from the neg. of one 6V to the Pos of the other 6 volt and act like it's a 12 volt. 12.36(combined) is not fully charged but not bad either.

full_mosey

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 06/15/12 08:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A typical RV battery is a collection of cells. Each cell represents 2 Volts. Counting your cells will reveal that you have two containers of three cells each, so 12V total. If a container/battery has six cells it is a 12V battery.

HTH;
John

shelby17

Home

View Profile

Posted: 06/15/12 08:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What should a full charge reading be on each Battery. I am not very electrical savvy but would it not make more sense having the coach batteries and generator closer together or does it make a difference.

bsinmich

Holland, MI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/16/12 05:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Did you, or someone else, change the wiring on the 6 V batteries? If they are connected to put out 6 V they won't do much to start the generator because they could only be putting out the 6 V of juice. The neg. side of one battery goes to the neg. side of the generator and the pos. side of the other goes to the Pos. side for the generator and then the 2 remaining terminals are connected together to give 6+6=12V. This will give a little higher amperage than 2 12V connected in parallel. That is the reason we use two 6V batteries hooked up that way.

2003 Newmar Mountain Aire, Workhorse W22, 2008 Saturn Vue, Falcon 5250, & US Gear Unified Tow Brake

smkettner

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/15/12 09:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

shelby17 wrote:

What should a full charge reading be on each Battery. I am not very electrical savvy but would it not make more sense having the coach batteries and generator closer together or does it make a difference.

The 12volt Side of Life (Part 1)

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675 watts solar
Send a PM if I missed something

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 06/16/12 10:03am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The popular GC-2 size six volt flooded wet cell is mass produced for golf cars (GC = Golf Car) across the country and beyond,, They make these things by the train car load.. Most other battery sizes by the semi or even pick up truck load, this means lower per-unit production cost and lower cost to the consumer.

Second, those two batteries, in series, equal, roughly one size 8-D

Now.. I can lift and carry an 8-D Have done the equivlent number of pounds on occasion.

But I"m over 300 pounds of ex farm boy.. I can also lift and swing a 22.5 Mitchlin mounted on a steel rim. (And have done so).

What I can not do, is wrangle an 8-D into my battery compartment, I'm not that strong.

So it's cost and ease of handling, and the fact that up till recently the only real good, cost effective, deep cycle battery on the market were the Golf Car batteries.. Oh, they made (And now make even more) 12 volt deep cycle,, I mean I borrowed one a good decade or two ago,, They loaded it onto a rental trailer, strapped to a pallet, with a fork lift.. They unloaded it the following Monday using the same fork lift.. It worked great for our club field day and was still 90% charged when I returned it.

What powered the fork lift.. A copy of the same battery.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

shelby17

Home

View Profile

Posted: 06/16/12 11:02am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My batteries are Super Start Fleet & Heavy Duty with 640 Cold Cranking Amps at 0, 800 Cold Cranking Amps at 32 degrees. Another thing I don't understand is the way they were set up
The Neg lead was to the neg post of one battery, that same battery had its Positive lead wired to the other batteries negative terminal, then that batteries positive went back to the coach. After reading some from this thread and others I am told this is not right.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Generator and 6v batteries?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS