RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: WDH or not?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> WDH or not?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
kaydeejay

SE Michigan, USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/12 07:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Simple answer
What are the two ratings for your hitch?
Dead weight
and
with WDH?
If your hitch is rated to handle a 1000# dead weight (which I rather doubt) then you don't NEED WDH, if you are exceeding the dead weight rating, then you need to give WDH some serious consideration.

Keith J.
1999 Sunnybrook 27RKFS Fiver.
2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD CC/SB/DA 2WD, LLY with LBZ air cleaner, 52 gal Titan tank, Bilsteins, Line-X, Westin steps, Prodigy, Retrax cover, 16K Superglide, 5th-Airborne pin-box, Multi-vex mirrors, TST TPMS.

Sandia Man

Rio Rancho, NM

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/12 10:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you have a factory installed hitch receiver you will most likely need to use a WD hitch. Our 3/4 ton chevy gasser can easily handle our dead tongue weight of 1200 plus pounds with about a !/2 inch of deflection to the front and rear of truck, but there is a big difference in overall towing comfort when our WD/SC hitch is not engaged. We travel at interstate speeds in high wind conditions and I wouldn't even consider not using it. I've seen many capable trucks not using a WD/SC hitch with a similar sized towable and they seldom can handle the interstate speeds and wind scenarios we regularly encounter out here in the Mountain West. It's a great feeling knowing that we're equipped to handle most any roadway situation.

MO_Trout_Bum

Missouri

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/18/12 07:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was pulling an 8200 lb 30' TT for awhile behind my 2500 D/A (probably around 1000-1100 tongue weight), and liked using a WDH/dual cam sway control combo. WDH helps with minimizing porpoising effect on rough roads, and sway control obviosly helps in high wind conditions, especially for longer rigs. I would never consider towing something of that size/weight without it.

2004 Silverado 2500HD Ext, Duramax LLY, 4WD, 3.73
2012 Keystone Cougar 327RES

mtofell1

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/12 08:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks everyone... pretty much what I expected. What I did learn was the 1000lb dead weight limit on my receiver. I was always just thinking about payload.

Also, somehow it got inferred that I was having sway issues with/without the WDH.... what I said was the sway control. And it's not drastic but enough to keep me using it.

I'll continue to use the WDH just set lightly with the anti-sway. It's overall a great setup. I was just wondering.... thanks again.

Ron Gratz

full time RVer

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/12 04:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mtofell1 wrote:

I'll continue to use the WDH just set lightly with the anti-sway. It's overall a great setup. I was just wondering.... thanks again.
What WDH are you using, and what sway control are you using.

When you weighed your rig, what were the axle load values?

Ron

nevadanick

Elko, Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/12 07:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use my wd bars just so i dont have to get a lecture at the gas station or anywhere else i stop about needing them. They are set so loose they do nothing.

Turtle n Peeps

California

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/12 08:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

nevadanick wrote:

I use my wd bars just so i dont have to get a lecture at the gas station or anywhere else i stop about needing them. They are set so loose they do nothing.

ROTFLMAO I thought I was the only one that did this.

~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

mtofell1

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 06/20/12 08:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ron Gratz wrote:

mtofell1 wrote:

What WDH are you using, and what sway control are you using.

When you weighed your rig, what were the axle load values?

Ron

Brand is Husky for the WDH and teflon anti-sway. 1200# bars on the WDH.

Axles when on my way back from a camping trip with an average to light amount of stuff were:

Front 4250
Rear 3950
Trailer 6800

My best estimate of tongue weight the TT adds is 900-1000. The rear axle with the same stuff minus the TT would usually be about 3000.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> WDH or not?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS