RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Camping in Yosemite... What should I NOT forget?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Camping in Yosemite... What should I NOT forget?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
4BeachCampers

Lakewood, CA

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/12 07:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Later this month, we're heading on our first trip to Yosemite (Upper Pines) for a week. We will be in an RV with an 8 yr old and 11 yr old and 2 dogs - what items are must haves?
  • Should we bring our Easy Up?
  • Are there water faucets in the campground?
  • Is ice available at the campground?
  • Will we need heavy jackets or will sweatshirt with windbreakers over be sufficient?
  • How are the bugs?
Also need suggestions on the best things to do - hikes, bike rides, rafting suggestions etc...

All suggestions of things to bring & things to do will be greatly appreciated

2005 Ford Four Winds Chateau Sport 28A

rr2254545

Minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/18/12 07:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Last time we camped there a bear ripped open a pop up - the owner had not disposed of his trash which included fried chicken parts.

2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited, Air Force One
182 Campgrounds in the past 5 years

dupreet

High Point, NC

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/12 07:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A camera...especially to shoot the chicken-eating bear in the next campsite!

Todd

Todd

1993 Ford E-350 pushed by a 1988 Wilderness 24' TT

fireman93514

Fallon NV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/18/12 08:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The valley can be hot in the day but cool at night. Mountain weather can be unpredicable though. I would have some cool weather clothing available. There will be water in the campground but not at each site. Ice is available at the store. Definetly bring a camera. also sunscreen and moquito repellant.

People tent camp all the time in the valley just use caution and the bears will pass you by. Keep anything with a scent in the bear boxes.

If you have the time day trips to glacier point, tualumne meadows, and the sequoia grove in the south of the park are nice. I believe there is a junior ranger program for the children. Hard to remember all my kids are in thier 30's. The Ansel Adams studio usually does a photo walk if you are interested in photography and Ansel.

Yosemite is one of my favorite places in the country to stay. Have a great time.

John & Judy
2007 Winnebago Access 31C
2008 Ford Focus

D.E.Bishop

Eagle Rock, CA

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/12 08:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

While we haven't camped in Yosemite since our DDs were preteens we do day trips often and we find that late May and early to mid August are the latest and earliest times for snow and continued cold weather, so I would say you're pretty good with medium weight wraps. Bears are a concern, cleaness is the answer there, on our last camping trip there (mid 70's) the folks next to us left a cooler in their utility trailer and the bears tore up the tailgate, cooler and food packages and left us alone. Much tne same as yesteryear but now there are bear proof food containers and a lot more written warnings about food. Most of YNP is forested and I don't think you'll need the easyup, you will need a camera to capture those once in a lifetime moments. The dogs will need to climatize just like you and the kids, walks should be gentle for a day or two and then leter rip. Remember to layer the clothes, from the high country to the Valley can be as much as 20 degrees difference, it can get cool at camp and very warm in the Valley. Check about the new closures due to rock falls, mostly affects cabin camping but I think some of the Half Dome/El Capitan trails are closed. Two pair of shoes and lots of socks and watch the kids feet for blisters. Skeeters can be a major problem in the evening so anything from "Off" to "Ben's" would be good to have, forget the "Skin So Soft", if is okey as a moisterizer but a lousy repellant. I think all the campgrounds have water but I don't remember stores at the Campgrounds but they are located throughout the park. Fireman93514 posted first with basically what I'm saying, everything and everywhere in the park is interesting, a drive up to the higcountry to see the rock climbers can lead little boys if you have such to want to learn cimbing, BEWARE, rock climbing is very popular there and lessons are offered by many pros. The shuttle works well for getting around and saves looking for parking spaces. Go, have fun and you'll be back, remember it's in your backyard and easy to get to.

* This post was edited 06/18/12 08:38am by an administrator/moderator *

"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
1990 Bounder 27D
06 Suzuki Grand Vitara 4X4
Stowmaster 5000

Jayco-noslide

Galesburg,Il., USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/12 09:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have learned through many years to always take some clothes for all seasons no matter the time of year and especially in mountains with any significant altitude.

Jayco-noslide

Captain Obvious

Utah

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/12 10:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey - we are going at the end of the month too! Won't get there until next month though :-)

The last time I was in Yosemite was about 10 years ago.

Definitely do NOT miss the Giant trees at Mariposa Grove! (south end of the park)
Your kids are probably old enough to enjoy the mist trail hike - bring ponchos to avoid getting soaked. My parents took my sister and I on that hike when we were 5 and 2.5 - home video evidence reveals two upset crying children. It was much better when we were older and had ponchos. Just don't be stupid and climb over the guardrails.
Lower Yosemite falls makes a good easy hike.

Taking the shuttle bus around the valley is the way to go. Leave your RV/vehicle at the campsite. It can be difficult to impossible to find parking.

I plan to bring a water thief so I can fill the water tank without going to the dump station.

As for the easy-up, it all depends on the site. Some sites have lots of natural shade, others not so much. If you can look at the picture of your site on recreation.gov, you should be able to get a better answer. It looks like you have an awning on your RV. I have an awning on my TT, but I am also planning to bring the easy-up just in case.

As for bears, I haven't seen one in the three times I've been there. My dad has several stories about bears in Yosemite from his childhood. (they had their animal cookies stolen by a bear in the night) Food storage and trash disposal are important. According to the NPS: RV's and hard-side trailers can store food inside as long as windows and vents are closed when no one is around.

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/bears.htm

The last thing to remember is to have fun!

profdant139

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/12 11:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Definitely bring mtn bikes -- there are bike trails around much of the valley, but they are a little rough and not great for road bikes with skinny tires.

Here is one of my recent blog posts that may be of interest -- lots of pictures:

Yosemite Blog posting

2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

B-J1

Las Vegas

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/12 09:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We were just there 2 weeks ago, camped at North Pines. Definitely bring bicycles, great way to get around the valley. We hiked up the Mist trail then up to Glacier Point via Panorma trail. A great hike but might be a little much for your kids. All of the falls were still flowing well. We didn't see any bears. We'll be back, but probably either before Memorial Day or after Labor Day.....fewer people.

'95 Coachman Classic 240, '98 Dodge 2500 Desiel

reasley

Motherlode

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/18/12 10:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The most important thing you must have when you visit Yosemite in Summer is patience. It will be crowded.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Camping in Yosemite... What should I NOT forget?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS