RV.Net Open Roads Forum: How does one select the most suitable Trailer Park?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Snowbirds

Open Roads Forum  >  Snowbirds

> How does one select the most suitable Trailer Park?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
1 life

deciding

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/12 11:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are active seniors looking to winter in the Southern US. We have had some limited (3 week stays) in a Texas trailer park which we found very enjoyable. We like the idea of wintering in a trailer park type community and are pretty well convinced that what makes one trailer park more suitable than another is the number of people with similar interests. We are really not all that interested in a winter filled with Bingo, miniature golf, or shuffle board. Maybe in a few years.

How do we locate or select our ideal trailer park. Someplace where a substantial group of the residents might be riding their quads out in the desert once a week, or sharing ownership in a boat to go fishing weekly, and/or possibly a weekly motorcycle ride someplace further than the closest coffe shop, or possibly getting together for a 4 or 5 day road excursion into Mexico each winter? The location or State would not even enter the selection criteria.

Any advice would be appreciated.
1 Life

rv2go

Fulltime 12 yrs (Knoxville, TN).or someplace else

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/12 12:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We just winter where we want to be and have found all the rest works it's self out. Visit the club house, start talking and before long you will find more than you can do.

Winnebago Journey
TN Lic. RV 2 GO
Jeep Cherokee 4x4
I'm here #4335
Travel Photos

HappyKayakers

Malabar FL

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/12 01:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why rely on the folks in the trailer park? It's not a very stable population, could change every year. If it were me and the activities were very important to me, I would first check http://www.meetup.com/ for the area I'm interested in, then see if there is a suitable park nearby.

Joe and Dakota, the wacko cat
Fulltiming since 2006
2006 Dodge 3500 QC CTD SRW Jacobs Exhaust brake
2006 Heartland Bighorn 3600RL, MorRyde suspension, TrailAir pinbox
http://happykayakers.com/

1995brave

San Antonio, TX

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/12 02:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Are you looking for a "Trailer Park" or an "RV Park", big difference between the two. Alot friendlier people at an RV Park that come from all over the United States and other contries. Trailer Park, well, we won't go there.

John&Joey

Some Location

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/18/12 04:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I read your post it seems to me that you need a "younger" snowbird park. You might get lucky and get one off the forum.

For us we did it another way. We traveled around till we found an area that we enjoyed. Then we searched for a park in that area that had snowbirds that where young (if only in heart.)

I think you'll find more "younger" places in Florida and California, and older in Arizona and Texas. Needless to say that isn't a hard an fast rule, and you'll find pockets of each in all places.

Mom4Nana3

Missouri

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/12 07:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WHen we 1st became snowbirds/winter Texans we were 62 and in fairly good health and shape. Let me tell you we had a hard time keeping up with "those old folks". I think people have this idea that they all sit around and toddle here and there and that's not how we found it. There is a lot of shuffle board and card playing, but there were bike rides around town, quilt making that turned out 400 quilts in a season that were donated on both sides of the border. More infant hats and blankets crocheted and given away than I could count. Games of LCR with some of the oldest in the park being the loudest and most fun of the whole game. I think if you go try out a park for a few days, you will find the same thing. Snowbirds are much younger than they used to be.

rocmoc

Southern AZ/Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/12 09:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are locations in Arizona that meet you needs, Quartzsite, Yuma, Amado & a lot of others. If you want to use the quads, stay away from the larger towns. In Arizona you can ride your quads/ATV/UTV/Dune Buggy/Sand Rail on the street. Makes it much easier to ride. Believe it or not there is fishing in AZ. Santa Cruz County have a couple of fishing lakes and one nearby Santa Cruz County in Southern Pima County. All very easily reached from Amado, De Anza RV Park/Resort, http://www.deanzarvresort.com/. You can also ride in the nearby hills from there. They also have a indoor pool, dinners and more. We have ID friends that stayed months in the TX Hill Country until last winter. They stayed a month at Amado, went to TX stayed two months and returned to Amado. This winter they are staying the entire winter in Amado. Nice as our stick & mortar home is nearby and we get to visit. Yuma has fishing and also quad riding nearby. Have another ID friend that stays there thu the winter with his UTV. Quartzsite also has it all & you can stay in a park or boondock. The are hundreds of RVers that show up to stay for months there. Easy to reach Mexico from any of the locations. We will be RVing in both Quartzsite & Yuma this winter when we are not home near Amado. If you pick Amado, let me know. We have a Jeep & dirtbikes. Good luck!

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

rocmoc n Southern AZ/Mexico

D&E Johnson

Ontario, Canada/Quartzsite, Arizona

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/12 05:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rocmoc- we winter in Quartzsite, you will have to stop by for a cool one. We are in Rainbow acres, not an rv park but a 500 site neighborhood near Dome Rock. Belong to local metal detecting club as hubby prospects for gold. We really enjoy Q in the winter. Seems to be within and hour and half from major centers, Palm Springs, Lake Havasu, Yuma, Phoenix, Mexico, and we are always busy and having lots of fun! Dona

Dona and Elvin

2010 Dodge Laramie 3500 4x4 Mega cab-in Pearl black/tan
2007 Open Road 359RL3S
2004 Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

rocmoc

Southern AZ/Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/12 06:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

D&E Johnson wrote:

rocmoc- we winter in Quartzsite, you will have to stop by for a cool one. We are in Rainbow acres, not an rv park but a 500 site neighborhood near Dome Rock. Belong to local metal detecting club as hubby prospects for gold. We really enjoy Q in the winter. Seems to be within and hour and half from major centers, Palm Springs, Lake Havasu, Yuma, Phoenix, Mexico, and we are always busy and having lots of fun! Dona

It's a deal! Sending you a PM as I don't want to hijack the topic.

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

restorodder

Pinckney Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/20/12 08:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If we are going to stay for more than one night,I like to do a Google satelite search of the park. You can expand the search and see what is near by. This saves a lot of surprizes,like a major trucking terminal being right next door.

2008 Newmar Canyon Star - 2007 Dodge Dakota Toad - Ready Brute tow bar & brake system - one cat - Sassy 14

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Snowbirds

> How does one select the most suitable Trailer Park?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Snowbirds

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS