RV.Net Open Roads Forum: White hose and connecting to water spigot for first time

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> White hose and connecting to water spigot for first time

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
DUNEBUGGYDOUG

SHELBY FOREST TN.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/18/12 05:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My question to all of you new hose buyers: how do you know what has been crawling around inside it and how do you know how clean it is. Even with a new hose it should be sanitized with a little bleach and water

pbitschura

SE MN

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/12 05:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DUNEBUGGYDOUG wrote:

My question to all of you new hose buyers: how do you know what has been crawling around inside it and how do you know how clean it is. Even with a new hose it should be sanitized with a little bleach and water

x2

1988 Mallard class c 24' Chevy chassis 350 cu gas.

LadyRVer

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/12 06:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have purchased a new white hose and then used the old white hose for rinsing, etc. But, I put black electrical tape at both ends of the hose to know for sure that is not the "good" hose.

bsinmich

Holland, MI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/18/12 06:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dodge guy wrote:

you don`t need a regulator to fill your fresh water tank! depending on the water pressure at the campground you may or may not need a regulator. I have one, but have stopped using it. it cuts down the water pressure too much, to the point the water will just barely spray out of the shower!

That is what happens when you use the cheap regulators that just fit in the line that are the size of the hose. If you get a Watts for $40-60. you will have pressure control without flow control. That will give you protection for the RV water system.

2003 Newmar Mountain Aire, Workhorse W22, 2008 Saturn Vue, Falcon 5250, & US Gear Unified Tow Brake

lanerd

Ridgecrest CA or Newport OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/18/12 07:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good advice on new hose and regulator.

However, be aware that the units you buy at Walmart and others stores (LIKE THIS) are pre-set and not adjustable. The pre-set units should probably be called restricters as they only restrict the pressure to a certain preset amount. HERE is a true adjustable pressure regulator.

The adjustable regulators do cost more and are bigger and most come with a gauge that allows you to adjust to your needs. I set mine at 60 lbs. I used the 40-45 lbs restritcters but didn't like the low pressure while taking a shower. 60 is just right. If you're wondering, most rv plumbing is tested at pressures at or higher than 60lbs.

Hope this helps

Ron

Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ILS 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/12 05:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pbitschura wrote:

DUNEBUGGYDOUG wrote:

x2

I agree, but the ends are capped or screwed together. and If you screw the ends together when storing it, you don`t need to worry about it!

It really is very simple, no need to spend money unnecissarily(sp).

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 13yrs
Daughter Marissa 12yrs
Dog Bailey

07 Cherokee 32B
02 Excursion 4X4 V-10 4.30 gear 5Star tuner Y-pipe mod Hellwig sway bar
Reese DualCam, Prodigy brake controller

A bad day of camping is
better than a good day at work!

lat471

Lebanon, PA

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/12 06:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow! What a bunch of germophobes. Next they'll want you to wear gloves to hookup and unhook your drinking water of course after you sanitize both the faucet and the camper connection. Run water through it before you hook it to the TT and your good to go. I'd use a grey water hose for the flush hose then you'll always know what it's for and it gives you a second hose to wash the camper. As stated before if you put the ends together when you store it you won't get and crawlers. By the way flushers have a back flow preventer so you don't have to worry.

07 Cameo F35FD3
The Black Cloud

lanerd

Ridgecrest CA or Newport OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/19/12 10:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think the OP was talking about a hose of unknown previous use. Just running water through it will not remove e coli and other bacteria. For the price of a new hose, it is cheap insurance that the OP and his family won't be subjected to some dreaded disease.

I also agree with the different colored hoses. Keeping the old white hose in this discussion for use as a black hose is just asking for trouble. Buy two new hoses. White one for potable water, and any other color you want for the black tank rinse.

And yes, I for one....do spray both the faucet bib and my hose that has been connected on both ends with a quick spray of a chlorine solution. Better safe than sorry.

Ron

Tango, AE7UI

Taylorsville, UT

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/12 11:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On the white hose I use for flushing tanks I marked each end with a strip of black vinyl tape.
Easy to tell them apart.

2007 Tango 2660RKS Fifth Wheel, 2006 Chevy D/A 3500 with service body,

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/12 12:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

lanerd wrote:

I think the OP was talking about a hose of unknown previous use. Just running water through it will not remove e coli and other bacteria. For the price of a new hose, it is cheap insurance that the OP and his family won't be subjected to some dreaded disease.

Ron

For the price of a quart of bleach (you only need a cup) and 5 gallons of water you will get an even cleaner hose than a new one! and money leftover for camping necessities. maybe some type of alcohol to ease evryones fears! and to kill off any germs!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> White hose and connecting to water spigot for first time
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS