|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> AC to DC Converter Question

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
Fordman01

North Central Washington

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/12 11:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a Powermax Boondocker PM3B converter in my used truck camper. I have noticed that the fan on the unit runs all the time even when it is not plugged into 120v. The only way I have found to shut it off is to unplug the two fuses on the top.

So does this sound right or not? Maybe I need to install a diode in line to keep the voltage from getting to the unit? or maybe there is a diode that has gone bad inside the unit? Does anyone have a wiring schematic for one of these units?

Golden_HVAC

Fulltime, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/12 11:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi,

There should be a working thermal disk of some sort that will turn on the fans when the box temperature is over say 130F. Below that temperature, the fan should be off. If you are in a area that is over 110F, then it is possible the fan is running because the temperature range is set to cool, and has a turn on temp near 115 and off at 105, to warm for your region.

You might try wiring in another thermal disk to turn on the fans at say 125 and shut off at 115F. This should solve your problem, while still running the fan before the converter overheats. (135 on and 125 off might also work, but the converter might stay warmer).

Fred.

JoeChiOhki

Sauvie Island, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/19/12 06:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fordman01 wrote:

I have a Powermax Boondocker PM3B converter in my used truck camper. I have noticed that the fan on the unit runs all the time even when it is not plugged into 120v. The only way I have found to shut it off is to unplug the two fuses on the top.

So does this sound right or not? Maybe I need to install a diode in line to keep the voltage from getting to the unit? or maybe there is a diode that has gone bad inside the unit? Does anyone have a wiring schematic for one of these units?

No, it's not right, the fans should only run when the unit gets hot enough to warrant them.

I'd suggest contacting Randy @ Bestconverter.com about the issue (if you bought it from them) and getting set up to replace the converter.

My Blog - The Journey of the Redneck Express
CB Channel 17 Redneck Express
'1992 Dodge W-250 "Dually" Power Wagon - Club Cab Long Bed 4x4 V8 5.9L gashog w/4.10 Geared axles
'1974 KIT Kamper 1106 - 11' Slide-in
'2006 Heartland BigHorn 3400RL

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/12 11:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That converter uses a 12V DC Thermostatically Controlled, Variable Speed Quiet Cooling Fan........check the thermostat.
Fan should only run to 'cool' unit during hard use.

Only manual I have seen is an installation manual.......
"When mounted inside a cabinet, the cabinet must be large enough to allow dissipation of heated air. Make sure that there is a minimum of 1” (one inch) free air space at each end of the unit so that cooling air can move through the unit properly"

2007 RAM 3500 QC LB SRW 5.9L CTD 48re 4:10 4K in bed 'quiet genny'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
Hit the Road Debt Free & Clear April '07
Came off the road still Debt Free & Clear Jan. '14

Fordman01

North Central Washington

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/12 06:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The thermostat must have malfunctioned, as it runs no matter what even down into the low 40s. I have learned to plug it in or use the disconnect switch on the batteries as soon as I get home or the next thing I know I have dead batteries.

Thanks for the tip on the thermostat, I will remove it form the camper and see if I can figure it out.

Cheers, Tim

Fordman01

North Central Washington

View Profile

Posted: 07/23/12 11:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JoeChiOhki wrote:

Fordman01 wrote:

No, it's not right, the fans should only run when the unit gets hot enough to warrant them.

I'd suggest contacting Randy @ Bestconverter.com about the issue (if you bought it from them) and getting set up to replace the converter.

Thank you for the suggestion to contact Randy, we worked out a deal and I have a new converter.

Tim

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> AC to DC Converter Question
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS