|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Toy Haulers

Open Roads Forum  >  Toy Haulers

> Ramp door damage

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Bowhunter61

Glen Rock, PA

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/12 07:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I got back form our last trip and was cleaning up the unit and noticed that some of the top hinge bolts on the ramp door were rusting. So I decided to take a look at them and found that the seal around the hinges was done very well and that water has been running between the hinge and the door and getting into the bolt holes. I then notice some slight bubbling that I would consider to be de-lamination of the skin form the inner OSB (I think that is what they use).

Tried posting pics from photobucket but kept getting an error

So a couple questions:
1) Am I right in my assessment?
2) Do you think Keystone will cover this? Bought unit in April 2010
3) if not do you think the de-lamination will stop here after I seal the hinges correctly or do I have to rebuild this thing?

Thanks

05 Dodge RAM 3500 DRW 5.9L Cummins
2010 35' Fuzion 302 Touring Edition II
2009 HD Ultra Glide Classic
2001 Polaris Sportsman 500
2005 Artic Cat 250
1997 Kawasaki Bayou 220
1996 Kawasaki Lakota 300

nayther

Burbank, CA

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/12 08:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If there's water inside you've already got damage and I doubt it will go away.

DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
'06 3005 Rage'n Falcon

Y-Guy

Tri-Cities, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/19/12 08:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Photo FAQ's has help & tips for posting photos.

1) The delam is cosmetic I'd be more concerned about the damage to the wood inside.
2) Not, unless you have a special warranty they only stand behind their product 1 year. Do you have an extended warranty?
3) As nayther said damage does not go away, it's hard to say how badly, if any, it was damaged on the inside. Sealing it now may prevent further damage but without tearing into it you won't know what's damaged.

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J
2011 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited

Y-Guy

Tri-Cities, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/19/12 09:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I replied to your PM, but for the sake of everyone else here. Be aware that RV.net has issues with the percent symbol, your best option is to login via the Woodalls portal. Your login id/password remains the same, just a different entrance that doesn't have the same problems.

Steve

Y-Guy

Tri-Cities, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/19/12 09:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Delam can continue to grow, but its most always related to moisture in between the fiberglass & wood. Stopping the moisture will help but it won't go away.

One of the things many owners forget is to check and recaulk your RV every 6 months, it's usually a something hidden in the owners manual but one that the manufacturer can point to during the warranty period if it's not checked and resealed. It's a pain, but I get up and check mine every 6 months then I log it. Though I'm beyond my warranty I still have a bit more time on my extended warranty. As soon as you noticed this it would have been good to get it into the dealer for repair and to document the problem, but not much you can do now.

A photo will help us to understand better what the problem looks like.

Bowhunter61

Glen Rock, PA

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/12 08:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Y-Guy wrote:

The Photo FAQ's has help & tips for posting photos.

1) The delam is cosmetic I'd be more concerned about the damage to the wood inside.
2) Not, unless you have a special warranty they only stand behind their product 1 year. Do you have an extended warranty?
3) As nayther said damage does not go away, it's hard to say how badly, if any, it was damaged on the inside. Sealing it now may prevent further damage but without tearing into it you won't know what's damaged.

I have posted pics before from my photobucket account, even did one posting this morning in the Tow vehicle forum, for some reason it doesn't like the link or something I paste in.

1) I was just wondering if the delam would continue, but I guess in regard to #3 it depends on how much damage there is to the OSB.
2) Nope, but you answered my question on length of warranty, which sucks because I am sure this has been festering this way since new, there was actually places on the hinge missing caulk because of how thin the caulk line was
3) I know the damage already occurred won't go away, just wondering how to deal with it, leave it or tear it down and replace the OSB in that section?

I'll try to get the pics of the bolts and the delam up on the thread

OldGreaser

South Texas

View Profile

Posted: 06/20/12 08:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It looks like you caught it pretty early. I wonder if you could get away with a reinforcing plate across the bottom of the door. Alternatively, if you go after the delamination and fix it right, maybe you could work some reinforcement into the repair somehow.
There's a thread on here somewhere with pix where a guy completely built a new door. It turned out pretty good. I'll try the search engine for you and see if I can bring back a link.

OldGreaser

South Texas

View Profile

Posted: 06/20/12 08:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have a look at a thread by Hemicbx that started 9/18/11. He's got lots of good photos and a writeup that might be helpful for you if you decide to tackle a repair yourself.

Click Here

Sorry, no link. You can use Advanced Search for Ramp Door with him as the author and it will come up, searching in Toy Haulers.

Mod Edit: Made clickable link

* This post was edited 06/20/12 09:39am by an administrator/moderator *

Bowhunter61

Glen Rock, PA

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/12 09:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yea, I do check and recaulk all the other spots (vents, doors,etc..) but the hinges got past me. I figured since it was metal to skin that they should have a gasket material behind that, especially since that top bolt of the hinge would seem to get some stress on it so that would stress any caulking that you would put there.

I think my fix is to make a gasket for the whole top half of the hinge that will protect the bolt and bolt hole.

Here are the pics

Bolts:

Delam:

Bowhunter61

Glen Rock, PA

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/12 09:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One more note, all of the bottom bolts are very clean, no sign of water on them or rust, these bolts are the ones that go through the frame of the door, the top bolt looks like it only goes thru the OSB-Foam-OSB section. I took a pic and flashlight and the bottom bolt holes had a good hard wood feeling to them.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Toy Haulers

> Ramp door damage
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Toy Haulers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS