RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: TIRE DANGER!! Please Read!!

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> TIRE DANGER!! Please Read!!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Next
Sponsored By:
dougmac

Washington State

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/12 12:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I make my living training bus mechanics. The curriculum that I teach includes a tire safety class. There is some very important information that ALL people that operate medium and heavy-duty steel cord radial tires should know. Most likely this type of tire is what you are using on your motor home.

IF THE PROPER PRECAUTIONS ARE NOT TAKEN WHEN INFLATING THESE TIRES, THEY CAN EXPLODE AND KILL YOU.

Medium and heavy-duty steel cord radial tires differ from passenger and light duty truck tires because the sidewalls are reinforced with steel cords. Passenger car and light duty truck tires usually have nylon or polyester sidewall cord material and do not use steel in the sidewall. If you are not sure of the sidewall construction, it is printed on the side of the tire.

Steel is an excellent material for sidewall reinforcement of truck tires. Virtually all quality truck tires are constructed with steel cord sidewalls. The problem comes when the tires are under inflated (operated 80% or less of the recommended pressure) or overload. If the tires are operated under these conditions the sidewalls flex excessively, weakening the steel cords. Similar to bending a steel coat hanger back and forth until it breaks. When the damaged tire is inflated the sidewall can rip out causing injury or death to anyone near it. The tire industry refers to this type of sidewall failure as a ZIPPER RUPTURE.

The damage cannot always be detected visually. Even breaking down the tire and visually inspecting the tire will not always show evidence of the damage. Another disturbing fact is that the damaged tire can fail at any time but most often occurs during inflation. Tire professionals have the tools and expertise to deal with these problems.

DO NOT MESS WITH THESE TIRES UNLESS YOU FOLLOW RECOMMENDED SAFETY PRACTICES!!!

Any time that you add air to a steel cord radial truck tire always use a clip on chuck and stand clear of the sidewall of the tire.

The International Tire and Rubber Association recommends the following practices for steel cord radial truck tires:

All tires with less than 80 percent of the recommended operating pressure are basically flat. Any tire with less than 80 percent of the recommended pressure must be completely deflated BEFORE it is removed from the axle, demounted and thoroughly inspected before it can be returned to service.
AND
Any tire next to a tire with less than 80 percent of the recommended inflation pressure should be considered suspect because of the overloaded operation. Any tire next to a tire with less than 80
percent of the recommended inflation should also be completely deflated BEFORE it’s removed from the axle, demounted and thoroughly inspected before it can be returned to service.

1995brave

San Antonio, TX

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/12 12:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What do you call recommended inflation pressure?
My tires are inflated according to the vehicle weight(weighed vehicle) at the tire manufacturers website. They are less than the inflation rating stamped on the side of the tire.

wildmanbaker

Kennewick, Washington

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/12 12:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Les Schawb also said that 75 psi would be the lower limit for tires this size and larger. Take heed.

Wildman

dougmac

Washington State

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/12 12:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1995brave wrote:

My tires are inflated according to the vehicle weight(weighed vehicle) at the tire manufacturers website. They are less than the inflation rating stamped on the side of the tire.

The "recommended" inflation pressure is either on the load rating decal for the vehicle or it is from a load/inflation table from the tire manufacturer.

The tire pressure on the side of the tire is the "maximum" allowed pressure for the tire, NOT the recommended pressure for your vehicle.

wildmanbaker

Kennewick, Washington

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/12 12:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"The damage cannot always be detected visually. Even breaking down the tire and visually inspecting the tire will not always show evidence of the damage. Another disturbing fact is that the damaged tire can fail at any time but most often occurs during inflation. Tire professionals have the tools and expertise to deal with these problems."

Heed this WARING! This happened to us. Even after being dismounted and inspected, two tires Zippered with spectacularer results, like a grenadede going off. Everyone ran for cover just before the first one went.

Weathertodd221

FL

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/12 01:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

doug... good post.
Explains one of the many undiagnosed tire failures that could occur.

amandasgramma

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/12 02:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

VERY good advice....thanks for explaining the difference and hopefully saving someone from pain and suffering later on!!!

peaches&cream

Northwest Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/19/12 02:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So you are saying, if my tires that I run 100 psi in, get below 80 psi, I need to call a emergency road service, have them deflate the tire, remove the wheel and tire, carry it to the shop and put it in a cage, then air it up. Or get me a clip on hose and gauge so I can stand around the back side of the MH, and then air it up. Owing a MH is becoming more dangerous each minute. If the refer don't get you the tires will.

1995brave

San Antonio, TX

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/12 03:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dougmac wrote:

1995brave wrote:

The "recommended" inflation pressure is either on the load rating decal for the vehicle or it is from a load/inflation table from the tire manufacturer.

The tire pressure on the side of the tire is the "maximum" allowed pressure for the tire, NOT the recommended pressure for your vehicle.

Thank you, now if we can just get the "tire experts" on the trailer and 5th Wheel forums to read this maybe they will understand why their tires wear out so quickly and why the contents in the trailer are thrown all over the place when they hit a little bump.

past-MIdirector

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/12 03:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some good information but must RVs are not running truck tires. There is a construction difference between tires used in the trucking industry and those used for buses/RVs.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> TIRE DANGER!! Please Read!!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS