|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Axle rating question

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Timberghost

Midwest

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/12 10:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've got a question regarding the axle rating on my truck. I have a 2011 F-350 crew cab Lariat 4x4 with the 6.2 gasser and I am very happy with the truck. Stopped at the Cat scale on the way home from our weekend camping trip because we were loaded down pretty good (all of our gear, full tank of fuel, my wife & I, my two kids, plus my sons friend that went with us) and wanted to get a weight prior to our big vacation in two weeks. The scale showed my gross weight at 17,080 lbs. I figured that I needed to add some tension to my weight distribution bars to put more on the front axle and my scale slip showed that to be the case. The front axle was 4,200. Drive axle was 5,400 and my trailer axles showed 7,400.

My question is due to this info - the ford manual lists the front axle rating at 6,000 lbs. and the rear axle at 7,280.

Finally, here is my question...

Per the sticker on the door pillar:
Front GAWR = 4,800 (but notes at 65 psi)
Rear GAWR = 6,730 @ 80 psi

Per the yellow sticker, my maximum cargo = 3,517 lbs.
My tires note a maximum weight capacity of 3,415 @ 80 psi.

None of these numbers add up, the only close one is the rear GAWR that is 100 lbs lower than the max for the tires.

Is the reason that the sticker on my door pillar shows only 4,800 lbs for the front axle, because it was rated at 65 psi in the tires?

I have been running 75 psi in my front tires and 80 in the rear. Per my numbers, I seem to have plenty of extra capacity all around EXCEPT for the front axle rated at 65 psi. I still have 1,100 lbs of capacity to hit the GVWR of 10,800 lbs too, I just want to make sure that I am not over thinking this and I don't want to exceed my front axle weight rating by adding tension to my bars to transfer some of the drive axle weight to the front axle and also back to the trailer. I am also guessing that this would mean that I likely have plenty of tongue weight? :-) I know I screwed up by not unhooking and weighing wihout the weight dist. hooked up and then without the trailer hooked up, but as soon as I pulled onto the scale, two trucks pulled in behind me.

Thanks for any input you can provide!

ib516

Up here!

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/12 10:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You're confusing a couple of terms here I think. The maximum cargo is your total payload allowed. GVWR minus vehicle curb weight = cargo capacity (payload).

The payload and GVWR never line up with the GAWRs.

For example, my truck has a 5200# front GAWR and a 6200# rear GAWR (added together = 11,400#), and the GVWR is 10,100#.

The max axle weight rating (GAWR) has to do with more than the tires. Springs, bearings, lug studs, wheel weight rating, etc all come into play with GAWRs.

The sticker on your door pillar is the correct one to go by.

2010 Cougar 322QBS 5er
Prev:
01 Dodge 2500 360 gas, 4.10
02 Dodge 2500 5.9L Cummins, 3.55
07 Dodge 3500 SRW Mega 5.9L Cummins, 3.73
Current:
2014 RAM 2500, 6.4L Hemi, 4.10, auto

10000# GVWR, 5500# FGAWR, 6500# RGAWR, 3040# payload, 15470# tow rating, 22500# GCWR

jmtandem

western nevada

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/12 10:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

My question is due to this info - the ford manual lists the front axle rating at 6,000 lbs.

Wow! That is a rating that would be more along the lines of a truck with the diesel engine in it. Are you sure of that rating and are you certain it applies to your truck. 6000 pounds axle rating up front is certainly not typically consistent with a gross weight of the total truck of less than 11,000 pounds. The 4800 pounds rating on the door pillar sounds more correct. As mentioned by the previous poster adding the two axle ratings will not equal the truck's gvwr. Your payload is not the empty truck weight subtracted from the sum of both axle ratings. It is the gvwr minus the empty weight.

'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.
'09 299bhs Tango.

Timberghost

Midwest

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/12 10:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yep, looking at the manual now, the 2012 online also shows the same data here.. Front axle = 6,000 (for F-350 4x4) and 7,280 for the F-350 Single rear wheel. http://www.ford.com/trucks/superduty/specifications/chassis/

I guess I am wondering why it specifies that the 4,800 lb rating on my sticker was at 65 PSI of tire pressure. It notes that the rear weight rating was at 80 PSI. Wouldn't the axle rating be higher at 80 psi?

Thanks for your input - I like learning about this stuff. I would call the dealership but I am certain that I will get a more accurate answer here!

* This post was edited 06/19/12 11:14pm by Timberghost *

jmtandem

western nevada

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/12 11:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

Yep, looking at the manual now, the 2012 online also shows the same data here.. Front axle = 6,000 (for F-350 4x4) and 7,280 for the F-350 Single rear wheel. http://www.ford.com/trucks/superduty/specifications/chassis/

Amazing, the specs do indicate that the front axle is rated at 6000 pounds.

5ertime

NC

View Profile

Posted: 06/20/12 12:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would think the fact that we rotate tires is why we have tires on the front axle that are able to function on the rear axle>

Chevy 2500 HD gas has similar type of numbers 60 psi 4400 front
80 psi 6200 rear

Golden_HVAC

Fulltime, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/20/12 12:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi,

I think that Ford may have put on softer springs with your truck, unless you selected the camper special package that upgrades the spring rate (and thus discomfort while driving unloaded) a few hundred pounds. The diesel engine will automatically upgrade the weight ratings of the springs. But still it would not have the stiffest springs unless diesel, camper package or snow plow package is ordered.

Why worry? If the trailer is towing fine, then tightening the spring bars will only make it more springy, when you are towing, especially noticeable while driving on a freeway that has concrete joints that will cause the truck to buck.

Unless you plan on mounting a front cargo carrier or something really heavy up front while towing, I don't see the front axle getting heavier.

I always suggest not overtightening the spring bars, so take that with a grain of salt, but if you do notice that ride is worse, consider loosening them back to your present setting.

Have fun camping!

Fred.

bpounds

Whittier CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/20/12 09:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Golden_HVAC wrote:

Hi,

I think that Ford may have put on softer springs with your truck, unless you selected the camper special package that upgrades the spring rate (and thus discomfort while driving unloaded) a few hundred pounds. The diesel engine will automatically upgrade the weight ratings of the springs. But still it would not have the stiffest springs unless diesel, camper package or snow plow package is ordered.

Exactly correct. Ford selects springs based on the engine and options. The front axle is exactly the same as mine, a Dana 60. Mine has a rating of 6k#, but I have diesel and snow plow option. It is your springs that lower that rating.

Imagine how badly your truck would ride with 6k# front springs and only a gasser engine.

2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

APT

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 06/20/12 09:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Also, owners load their trucks differently, say truck camper vs. 5th wheel vs. HD landscape/constriction trailer. The axle ratings will never add up to GVWR.

A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2012 VW Passat TDI

SoCalDesertRider

Arizona desert

View Profile

Posted: 06/20/12 10:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The maximum FGAWR for an '05-up F350 4wd is 6000 lbs. However, that doesn't mean that EVERY '05-up 4wd F350 has 6000 lb FGAWR. The 6000 lb FGAWR is only acheived by ordering the truck with the snow plow prep package, or heavy service suspension package, or in some cases, the camper package with diesel engine. Not all F350's will have the max capacity front springs.

With 4800 lbs listed on your truck's door sticker as the FGAWR, apparently, yours does not have the max rated front springs. Your FGAWR is whatever is listed on your specific truck's door sticker, NOT what is listed on the sales brochure or website. Your door sticker info reflects how YOUR truck was actually equipped when it came off the assembly line.

Ford lists the max RGAWR for '05-up F350SRW's as 7280 lbs. HOWEVER, just like with the front axle, not every '05-up F350SRW will have the max RGAWR of 7280 lbs.

Your RGAWR is limited by whatever is the sum of your rear tire's max weight capacity, when inflated to their max pressure. F350SRW's come with a few different tire sizes and not all of them have the tire capacity to meet 7000+ rear axle weight capacity. The trucks with stock 17" wheels have lower RGAWR than the trucks that came with stock 18" or 20" wheels.

Again, just like with your front axle, your RGAWR is whatever is listed on your specific truck's door sticker, NOT what is listed in the sales brochure or on the website.

05E350 6.0PSD
97F350DRW 7.3PSD 4x4 4.10 11' flatbed
98Ranger
69Bronco ATC250R CR500
20' BigTex flatbed carhauler
Callen Camper

92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6
B&W TurnoverBall, Curt Magnum V
HD Springs Bilsteins,
285/75-16E BFG AT on 16x8 Stocktons
4.56's & LockRite rear

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  |