|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Tow vehicle help

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev
Sponsored By:
jmtandem

western nevada

View Profile

Posted: 06/20/12 04:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

WeII I will call BS, actually the GVRW weight rating is anywhere from 9900lbs to 11500lbs which makes the payload anywhere from 3030lbs to 4940lbs depending on the set up for SRW 350. Just for the record, I have not made up my mind. I was just trying to understand how some of these 5er's were going down the road with the smaller tow vehicles. Yes, I would like to get away from a dually, but I will not sacrifice safety in order to do so.
If I have learned anything from coming here it has been not to ask a question here. A lot of the people have been very helpful and honest with their experience or opinion, but unfortunately it is not worth putting up with the other stuff to get that information. It is real easy to say your trying to help someone while pointing out errors in their statements. If you were really trying to help you would be asking questions about the information they need to make an intelligent recommendation.
Thanks to those that tried to help. I have to go and buy a truck, or not.

I certainly have learned over the years on RV.net that asking a question will get every answer under the sun. We all need to be a little thick skinned to participate here. Good luck with whatever you end up with. Only you have to be happy with your purchase, not any of us.

'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.
'09 299bhs Tango.

cKarlGo

Alexandria, VA

View Profile

Posted: 06/20/12 05:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

My 2500 is a great solid truck that could tow most any thing out there.

I stepped up and bought my Dually because I know it would be un safe to tow my Mobile Suites with the 2500 even if I put air bags and went to 19.5 tires and wheels.

I sure see plenty of people doing it. Does not mean it is right.

For example heavy rv 250/2500 truck 55 mph going down a 6 percent grade coming into a corner a big gust of wind hits you, that is when the Dually comes into play.

I stepped up, I would never go backwards.

Overloading a tow vehicle is selfish and irresponsible.

I saw someone towing an Airstream with a Ford Explorer. Not the Bambi either.

That's one reason that I never buy used trucks or used campers. You just never know how stupid the previous owner really was.

---------
k.
2012 Montana 3402
2011 Chevy 3500
2007 Black Lab/Pitt Bull mix named Harley

Kalabin

Alaska

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/21/12 12:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I myself owned a 2008 extended cab short bed 6.4 diesel. It's payload was 1800lbs, as others have stated it was 8400lbs (ballpark figure) without anything in the truck with a 9800lb GVWR.

There is no way I would toss a 3,000lb pin weight on that truck let alone a 15,000lbs GVWR. That F250 was great for hauling travel trailers, the engine could move it, but I wouldn't trust the rest of the truck to haul or stop that large of load in an emergency situation.

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 6.0, 3.73, Firestone Air Bags, CCSB LTZ

APT

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 06/21/12 08:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DFC723 wrote:

It is not a question a F350 vs an F250, the weight rating for the 2 are real close with SRW's.

It is exactly a question of weight rating, payload in this case, not tow rating. Payload is not real close between the same configuration 3/4 ton and 1-ton SWR. By the time you compensate for the low payload/spring ratings of a 3/4 ton with air bags and on-board compressor and tires (tires are over $1000/set!), you can just get the 350 for $600-1000 up front. Don't believe us? Open the driver's door of the F250 you like and find this sticker:

This is my current TV at 2051 pounds of payload with a full tank of fuel. With about 2000 pounds of pin weight, another 150-250 for a 5th wheel receiver, yourself and any other people in the cab, and any other things you put in the bed around the hitch, you'll want closer to 3000 pounds. Every crew cab 4x4 3/5 ton diesel truck I have looked at had under 2500 pounds of payload according to this sticker, most in the 2100-2400 pound range.

A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2012 VW Passat TDI

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Tow vehicle help
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts