The last post on this subject reminded me I have an issue to resolve. Last time out generator wouldn't start. Checked and had good voltage at battery and everything else worked. Checked voltage at generator positive and had about 2 volts less, wouldn't start. Used a jumper cable from + on battery to post on generator and voila, started but would not stay running without it (found this out before, Onan 550 Gold must have 12v at post to run). I'm assuming I have a bad/loose/corroded cable between the battery (+/- 3' away) and the generator.
Anyone have other thoughts? I know it's not the ground as I only used one side of the jumper cables.
There is a poor connection somewhere--or corrosion on the positive. It could also be corrosion on the inside the cable. I had a cord once where some idiot used it for a tow cable. The wires inside failed--but the cord still looked just fine.
I would guess a corroded connector, with a D/C voltmeter hook one lead to the battery + terminal and the other to the + side of the starter solenoid on the Genny.
Try to start it, the meter reading will show how much loss is in the circuit under load, you already know its about 2V. Then work your way back up the positive circuit until the voltage loss goes away or is minimal. I have seen copper battery cables corrode inside the insulation and not be visable until you slice open the plastic. If you do replace the cable, go up a size, they usually skimp on the gauge of wire they use.
Good luck and let Me know if I can help, I have many years of trouble shooting experience on truck/trailer electrical systems.
2008 GMC 2500HD 4X4 DMax CC LB
2004 Thor Wanderer Wagon 247WTB
2006 TE450 Husky
2007 Rhino Sport Edition
It was the cable connection. I replaced the cable end with a good soldered one and used heat shrink but it did the same thing. When I hit the starter the voltage dropped to less than 10 from 13.4. After more checking I found one of the cables stacked on the + stud had a wad of crud on it so I wire brushed everything real god and tightened the******out of it. Seems to work O.K. now. What does everyone use to keep the cables from corroding? I've tried covering them with grease and unless you get every nook and cranny they still muck up. I heard there's some kind of spray on stuff but didn't find it at Auto Zone.
This is what we used at several shops I worked in, that reminds Me, I need some more.
Actually covering the connections with grease can cause problems, alot of greases are not suitable, make sure its Dielectric grease.
Thanks Bob, that's what I was looking for. I used some dielectric grease in a pouch but it was $1.00 per pouch and a ***** to get on, messy and doesn't cover very well, this will work. Also found some by Permatex.