|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing

> Dinghy towing chevy Sonic

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
brliam

home

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/21/12 08:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Is any one towing a 2012 Chevy Sonic automatic trasmission. I am interested in purchasing this car. I have found that the March 2012 Motor home magazine dinghy towing 2012 guide has a lot of inaccuracies. For example the KIA and the 2012 Honda CRV and Fit can not be towed.

rr2254545

Minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/21/12 09:03am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do not know about the Sonic or KIA but both of these Honda's have been towable for years. Better check you facts.

2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited, Air Force One
183 Campgrounds in the past 5 years

PI_Tom

USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/21/12 09:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Does anybody either tow or know of someone towing a pickup truck. My research indicates GM products that are 4x4, Dodge 4x4 both in 1/2 ton models are flat towable.

I have a 2011 Ford Escape that we tow without difficulty but it is too small. Would like the bed area to carry "toys" and a rack for canoe. Help.

Tom C

lryrob9301

Mid-Atlantic

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/21/12 10:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PI_Tom wrote:

Does anybody either tow or know of someone towing a pickup truck. My research indicates GM products that are 4x4, Dodge 4x4 both in 1/2 ton models are flat towable.

I have a 2011 Ford Escape that we tow without difficulty but it is too small. Would like the bed area to carry "toys" and a rack for canoe. Help.

I would suggest starting your own thread instead of hyjacking this one.

2013 Tiffin Phaeton 40QBH
2011 Scion x/B Toad

lanerd

Ridgecrest CA or Newport OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/21/12 10:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tom, you'd be better off if you started your own post instead of attaching yourself to this one.

Quote:

Is any one towing a 2012 Chevy Sonic automatic trasmission. I am interested in purchasing this car. I have found that the March 2012 Motor home magazine dinghy towing 2012 guide has a lot of inaccuracies. For example the KIA and the 2012 Honda CRV and Fit can not be towed.

According to REMCO , Only the manual transmission 1.4L engined Sonic can be towed 4-down. However, with the 1.8L, both manual and auto can be.

What do you have?

What does you owner's manual say about recreational towing?

Also, as previously mentioned, both the CRV and Fit can be towed 4-down. Not sure where you're getting your info on this, but it's definitely wrong.

Hope this helps

Ron

Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ILS 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

brliam

home

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/21/12 03:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Regarding the question on the Sonic...The owners manual states it can be towed 4 down... But since I started looking I found most of the ones Motorhome magazine listed that could be towed CAN NOT. I just do not want to get the SONIC and later find out the manual was wrong..as was the case with the Chevy CRUZ.... Regarding the HONDA FIT the 2012 owners manual states (with the auomatic transmission ) CAN NOT be towed the Honda service manager agreed he also said the CRVs can no longer be towed...I believe he said those built startng in 2011. Hesad it had something to do with the electronic systems??? My son-in law has a 2010 CRV..I looked in his owners manual it indicated it could be towed 4 down. I did not look a the 2012 CRVs owners manual. I currently have a 2003 Saturn have been towing it since 2003 with NO Problems. It's getting old so I thought I'd start looking at new vehicles.....

* This post was edited 06/21/12 03:15pm by brliam *

garym114

Bluff Dale, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 06/21/12 06:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't know where you are getting your information but the Honda 2012 CR-V is towable 4 down.
Nothing has changed from previous CR-V models.
I just looked at the Owners Manual.

2000 Sea Breeze F53 V10 - CR-V Toad
Some RV batteries live a long and useful life, some are murdered.
Get a Digital Multimeter and Learn How to Use It

brliam

home

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/22/12 07:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Regardng the 4 down towing of the 2012 Honda automatic transmission for the FIT and CRV. I read THE OWNERS MANUAL FOR THE FIT... it indicated it could not be towed with all the wheels on the ground. I spoke with the Honda service manager he agreed. He also said that the 2012 CRV's automatic transmissions also could not be towed with all the wheels down. I believe he also said the 2011 CRV's could not be towed 4 down...

garym114

Bluff Dale, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 06/22/12 10:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The 2012 Honda Fit can be flat towed, four wheels down. Reference page 159 of the owners manual.
The 2012 and all other Honda CR-Vs since its introduction in 1997 can be flat towed, four wheels down, 2WD or AWD.
The service manager knows not of what he speaks.

charles

Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 06/22/12 05:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The 2012 Ford Focus with automatic can be towed 4-down and with the rebates it doesn't cost much more than a Sonic and gets great mileage.

Nick

2012 Pleasure-way Excel TS

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing

> Dinghy towing chevy Sonic
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: